Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 26,372 times

Advertisements

I found a great duplex for my 5 year old daughter and I in Windsor Park kind of off Ridgehaven Dr and Belfast Dr. I know the neighborhood has a reputation of being not such a great area and the crime map shows a lot of red..not necessarily on those blocks though.
The area is in a 'transition' now.
We are living off of Ben White, close to Manchaca now..another area with pockets of red.
I'm receiving a lot of advice NOT to move there being a single woman with a young girl.
What is your experience living there??
What would you do in my position??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,090,770 times
Talk to people who actually live there!

Windsor Park - News for the Hood!

You should be able to find contact information and other information from the neighborhood association website above. Don't be afraid to call or email people and get the true scoop!

I have friends who live there, (with kids) and they like it quite a bit. But everyone is different and not every place is a good fit for everyone.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,034,484 times
By pockets of red, are you referring to the Crime Map Beta - Trulia

That area actually looks like a decent neighborhood. No worse then most of North Central Austin. The neighborhood looks well maintained with many nicely landscaped yards. Looks like people care about the neighborhood. I can see that it has numerous advantages with its proximity to downtown, the lake park and shopping at the Bergstrom development. The last time I drove through that area N. of the old airport I was impressed with it.

Investing in an alarm system will give you some additional security. Smith Monitoring $17.95/mo and Sloan Monitoring $120/year are two low cost companies that others here have had good experiences with.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM

I would be concerned about the schools in the area as your daughter is getting close to that age. Texas School Performance Maps

Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I would be concerned about the schools in the area as your daughter is getting close to that age. Texas School Performance Maps
Do transition mean trans-vaginal? Someone explain that to me..

Anyway, I agree those kids are going to tear. her. up!! But, she'll be better off..after the race war comes in 2020, she'll become a general in the white republican army! (Just kidding!)

As long as you leave people alone, people will leave you alone! - If you know how to do that..

Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM

12 posts, read 26,372 times
School is not an issue for us..I have her transferred into a school of choice.
Race is not the issue either (I may be brown, white, black or navy??)..crime factor is.

I'm looking for some people that actually are familiar with the area and how they feel about it.
I am leaning towards moving there...just want to make the right decision for my daughter.

People are telling me not to live there just by things they hear.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymuzak View Post
Race is not the issue either (I may be brown, white, black or navy??)..crime factor is.

..People are telling me not to live there just by things they hear.
And the people they see..(c'mon now) Austin is still in the South. We all know that traditional brown, black areas and fears of crime go hand-in-hand, even though the center-city is rapidly losing its minority population.

And, race is an issue, you brought up. You're comment about "transition" - and yes, I lied, I knew exactly what you were talking about (presumably as one of the reasons to move there- or else you wouldn't have mentioned it) is what got me wanting to contribute a comment.

As a person who is familiar with Windsor Park, you have nothing to worry about. It is a good neighborhood full of people trying to earn a living (for now). We'll see how long it lasts before it becomes Allandale East!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymuzak View Post

I'm looking for some people that actually are familiar with the area and how they feel about it.
I am leaning towards moving there...just want to make the right decision for my daughter.

People are telling me not to live there just by things they hear.

Thanks for the responses!
I once lived about 8 blocks east of the location you are asking about, apartments on Manor Road. Which is why I have an ongoing interest in the area and periodically go back to see how it is doing. I would not recommend you live where I did, but I think the area you are looking at is fine.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 11,539 times
Apologies for bumping this thread up. We have found some relatively nice rentals in Windsor Park that are a little more affordable. Looking at google street maps it looks like a nice neighborhood with plenty of trees. Are there any areas in Windsor Park that are safer? Also any benefit in living closer to Bartholomew Park? A lot of listings call this area Delwood? Is this correct because I thought Delwood is south of 51st. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: