U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 PM

5,004 posts, read 9,910,321 times

Advertisements

Any T-Mobile users out there in Austin? I'm looking for feedback especially from any iPhone/ATT refugees and 4G hotspot users with Galaxy 10 tablets.

Currently, have 5 iPhone family users under my plan with ATT, which costs about $350-$400/mo. Was thinking about finally getting a iPad, but the data plans at $50/mo have motivated me to start a more rigorous assessment of all options.

Was in Costco South today and the kiosk guy seemed pretty knowledgeable about all the different ATT/Verizon/TMobile options. He was selling me on a migration to T-Mobile with an Android+Galaxy Tab combo instead of iPhone/iPad.

He says with a 4G Unlimited plan, I can use the phone as a hotspot with a Galaxy 10 Tab or Laptop (up to 5 devices at the same time), and that it's pretty darn fast. Is this true?

That means I could just have a WiFi tablet and since my phone is always with me, I'd always have connectivity with both, plus my laptop to boot.

My wife and I still have the old ATT Unlimited iPhone data plans for $30/mo. each, but those do not allow tethering or hotspot use. Our kids and my Mom are on the limited data plans, but get close to max each month. If I want tethering or hotspot, I'd have to switch to a limied data plan with hotspot, and I'd surely bust the data limits on that.

Anyone made this migration before or have any thoughts or feedback?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 PM

294 posts, read 362,614 times
Make sure you take a look at these "Unlimited" data plans closely. All of the cell phone companies will throttle your speed way down when you hit the data cap. So while you may have unlimited data, after you go over 2gb, 5gb, 10gb, etc.. they're going to slow your data down to a crawl. This is information that any salesman will "forget" to mention.

This may be a non-issue if you're mostly using the tablet on WiFi but it sounds like you're somewhat concerned with data limits.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 PM

499 posts, read 627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
He says with a 4G Unlimited plan, I can use the phone as a hotspot with a Galaxy 10 Tab or Laptop (up to 5 devices at the same time), and that it's pretty darn fast. Is this true?
I have a T-mobile phone with the prepaid Monthly4G "Walmart" plan-- $30/mo 100 min/unlimited text/"unlimited" data (5gig at 4G speeds, after that is painfully slow 2G speeds) and yes it allows tethering. Good if you use a lot of data but are not much of a talker. Make sure you get a phone that does tethering, of course.
I've been pretty happy with coverage around town. In my house (Convict Hill area) I get 6Mbps download speeds, so I can burn through that 5 gig real fast

There's really no other data-heavy phone service out there in that price range. The only caveat is it's prepaid, not a contract, so who knows how long they'll keep that rate going.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:48 PM

113 posts, read 119,289 times
Default FamilyMobile by Tmobile

You might want to consider FamilyMobile by Tmobile at Walmart same network as Tmobile but unlimted Talk/Text/Data for all users for one fee it's not the prepaid like others have mentioned but its a bargain. As far as hotspot accessability I've never looked into it, one other thing I believe this particular plan if for 3G data but I never have to worry about overages for anyone my fee for 4 users is $150.00 a month.

As far as the network data coverage, regardless of carrier all metro area's have ample connectivity: Sprint,T-Mobile,At&t, Verizon it's when you travel outside of a city that they most carriers data specifically is 2g and limited to interstate corridors.

Good Luck

Last edited by joedtx; 03-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention store

Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM

204 posts, read 286,731 times
check out clear for a data plan. you can get one their spot devices, which allows 8 devices to connect via wifi (at screaming fast speeds, real 4G, $50/month, and no contract). though if you travel a lot, it may not be the package for you.
go here to check out their nationwide coverage (zoom out on the map):
CLEAR | 4G Wimax Internet Coverage Map with Service Area.

it works great in Austin.
But any ways, I would buy the non-3G/4G version of the ipad and use this device instead (which then you could also use with laptops, etc).
just my $.02...
Brad

Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM

12,801 posts, read 10,845,416 times
Here's a pertinent and eye-opening comment from an article in PC Mag about 4G speeds:

"Back in December, we calculated that you can blow through Verizon's 5GB data cap in 32 minutes."

I have 2 "unlimited" data plans from T-Mobile, one for smartphone, one for laptop stick. Once T-Mobile started throttling over 5G, maybe a year ago, I blew through the cap several times, and was in agony until it reset to full speed at the end of the monthly cycle. Since then I've learned I can just make it through the month with normal (for me, you might call it heavy) email and news and social media. But I check my current usage frequently, compare it to where I should be to make it all the way, and limit big downloads to times when I'm hard-wired or on WI-FI.

The key thing is to avoid video streaming as much as possible, like YouTube and Netflix, and limit large-file photos like you'll find on imgur.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:30 PM

5,004 posts, read 9,910,321 times
Thanks for all the comments. I've not made any decisions yet, thinking I may not need a tablet after all.

Turns having a ipad or Android tablet doesn't actually survive the "what business problem does it actually solve" scrutiny of the more frugal, pragmatic part of me.

That said, looks like a good combo for a mobile professional would in fact be an Ultrabook (PC version of Macbook Air) with either a LTE phone with tethering or the Clear device. I did check out that Clear device at Best Buy last week. Pretty nice. The rep there even told me if I buy one and get through the return period, then add a second, they have a backend way to make it $25/ea. But I really don't want to carry another device around if I don't have to.

But it sucks that it's so hard to find "truthful" accurate information, even when walking into an ATT or Verizon and asking. Seems like a lot of obfuscation and double-talk, especially when you ask about throttling. Turns out my Realtor wife and I average only 0.3G/mo data, probably because we work from home with WiFi, and there is free WiFi in so many places, and we don't watch videos or play games.

Oh well, I researched so much I feel paralyzed and need a break.

Steve

Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 998 times
Nice one to hear from U̶̲̥̅̊ okay steve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin