U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Not Moving
969 posts, read 890,068 times
Reputation: 495

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Beautifully put! And very Austin!
I thought it was very American.

 
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,426 posts, read 22,750,220 times
Reputation: 12669
That, too. But very Austin as far as this thread is concerned.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 AM
 
4,030 posts, read 6,272,177 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by suit-n-tie white guy View Post
Hispanic people can be chinese. It's not uncommon for them to be switched at birth.
did you not take your medicine today or something?
 
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 AM
 
105 posts, read 169,530 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
Hi - I am looking to relocate and Austin is in my top three list of cities to move. I did research on most educated and "liberal" (loosely) cities in the US and it consistently ranked on the top. But I have also heard that for transplants who grew up truly liberal cities, like me (San Francisco), the liberal label is sort of a facade. So if we drop the term liberal and conservative, is Austin considered progressive? I will die a slow death if I encounter any more drunk young girls named Ashley when I am out on a Friday night, shallow as can be. I am a single female in my late 30s who is looking for other single friends (and in a city where there is little pressure to become a family unit), as well as for intelligent, non-metrosexual guys. I am not materialistic, and I enjoy simple things and appreciate the environment, eating well and naturally, and always learning. I am also very open religion-wise. I love interacting with people from different cultures and meeting interesting, accomplished individuals. How would Austin rate with those ideas in mind? I appreciate all positive comments, even if the response is not what I am looking for. Please don't respond if you have nasty or sarcastic or empty responses. Thanks again.
Hey RaphRod,

I moved here from Silicon Valley and I'm moving back. My comments might be skewed through because I didn't live here for long time.

I'm moving back because of no jobs and no friends. If you're an outgoing person, then you might be fine. I'm a nerd, and the way people communicate here is too hard on me.

So, my comments of somebody from SV.
1. The city is quite diverse but quite segregated as well. As a side effect, it results in very good restaurants. Age segregation. Like events at UT have an age mix, but some places look like "seniors only", even if it's not a senior center.
2. Too white culture for me, such as too sales. Mad Men or something. Like, I didn't see anywhere else techies talking so much like selling.
3. As I said, it's probably good for outgoing people. But not many people make small talks with strangers. I found it also hard to connect if you don't know somebody from somewhere else. You go to social dancing and people don't talk to each other.
4. Considering myself a conservative (Canadian edition), it looks like all ultraconservatives move here. Like I started questioning the freedom of thought. I'm open religion-wise, politics-wise, any-opinion-wise, but what about people around? I speak my mind about *something* (not religious, not political etc, but like food preferences or medical care), and some people get irritated or offended (and they might be not Texans). Also, got somebody irritated with me and backstabbing, just because.
5. Cheap real estate and rent. Easy traffic, if you go outside of rush hours, short distances. Many really aggressive drivers, worse then you could see in the Bay area.
6. You can buy good food directly from farms, raw milk, grass fed beef, free range chicken, fresh veg and it's close to the city.
7. Good internet speeds available. Really.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,071 posts, read 2,438,168 times
Reputation: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
Oh dear, I am already having issues. Latin people prefer to be called Latin; Hispanic is actually only used by government (some) entities anymore. Hispanic, Mexican, you name it - all out the door. Acceptable is Latin, Latina, Latinos. I grew up in CA, and although white, I respect whatever it is they would like to group themselves as. If I said Hispanic in the Bay Area, I'd get a dirty look and someone would correct me.
Ugh! This is exactly the kind of politically-correct brand of liberalism that I hated when I was living in San Francisco - and I consider myself to be a very liberal person. I prefer Austin's brand of live-and-let-live liberalism even if we are smack in the middle of one of the most reactionary states in the U.S.

Honestly, if something as simple as someone using the term, "Hispanic" (which I've never heard anyone complain about until I saw your post), is going to bother you, I would stay in San Francisco.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,426 posts, read 22,750,220 times
Reputation: 12669
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2 View Post
Hey RaphRod,

I moved here from Silicon Valley and I'm moving back. My comments might be skewed through because I didn't live here for long time.

I'm moving back because of no jobs and no friends. If you're an outgoing person, then you might be fine. I'm a nerd, and the way people communicate here is too hard on me.

So, my comments of somebody from SV.
1. The city is quite diverse but quite segregated as well. As a side effect, it results in very good restaurants. Age segregation. Like events at UT have an age mix, but some places look like "seniors only", even if it's not a senior center.
2. Too white culture for me, such as too sales. Mad Men or something. Like, I didn't see anywhere else techies talking so much like selling.
3. As I said, it's probably good for outgoing people. But not many people make small talks with strangers. I found it also hard to connect if you don't know somebody from somewhere else. You go to social dancing and people don't talk to each other.
4. Considering myself a conservative (Canadian edition), it looks like all ultraconservatives move here. Like I started questioning the freedom of thought. I'm open religion-wise, politics-wise, any-opinion-wise, but what about people around? I speak my mind about *something* (not religious, not political etc, but like food preferences or medical care), and some people get irritated or offended (and they might be not Texans). Also, got somebody irritated with me and backstabbing, just because.
5. Cheap real estate and rent. Easy traffic, if you go outside of rush hours, short distances. Many really aggressive drivers, worse then you could see in the Bay area.
6. You can buy good food directly from farms, raw milk, grass fed beef, free range chicken, fresh veg and it's close to the city.
7. Good internet speeds available. Really.
Okay, this is a new one. Mostly we hear people moving here from elsewhere being surprised and either pleased or freaked out by how much "small talk" goes on between complete strangers here in settings that are not generally considered places where people go to meet each other and how friendly Texans generally are. Now, some do prefer to think that it's not "real" because small talk doesn't always lead to deep, lifelong, lasting friendships (though it can, of course, depending on the people and whether they ever see each other again or not), but that's different from saying that people won't engage in small talk.

Interesting.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
12,785 posts, read 13,083,276 times
Reputation: 7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
If this upset you, then you will not find Austin to be "progressive" at all. If you walk in here, intending to compare everything to the Bay, you'll miss everything that makes Austin ten times more truly accepting and "progressive" than every major metro in CA.

From Mark with the big Chevy truck with the McCain sticker still on the back, gun rack in the window, complaining about gas prices being too high at $3.55 per gallon while he makes his "hellish" 45 minute-on-a-bad-day commute down MoPac, to Preetham and Joslyn with their Porsche and Lexus (D.I.N.K.) to Joe and Steve with their 3 English Bulldogs, Hajit and his odd predilection for masonry around every tree, Ada and Mike and their two kids under 5, I know one thing about my neighborhood in Austin for sure:

Redneck, Indian, Hispanic, Gay, Persian, Turkish, whatever... what you "identify" them as is not nearly as important as who the person is, and I'm sure each one of those people would rather you call them by their name than by whatever ethnocentric tag has been established as "correct".

Oh, and if you ever tell my wife that she's "Latina", she'll gladly remind you in two languages that she's a goddamn American.

And that, my friend, is what you will find in Austin. There's a certain level of we've-had-enough-pc-garbage, balanced by quite a bit of down-home friendly that just gets straight to the cut.

California loves to hype how "unbiased" it is by going out of its way to make sure that everyone understands the correct bias they are to identify with, then calling that dichotomy "acceptance". You won't find as much of that here, but I consider that a relief.
This post should be the end of the thread. Well done.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,213 posts, read 2,492,248 times
Reputation: 2175
I really wish that people could just ask open ended questions about relocating to Austin on a relocation forum without having to deal with all the posters who go "We're American, we're Austinites! We are laid back! don't bring your PC crap here."

The OP did not ask for a history lesson on political leanings over the last 30 years coupled with a lesson in the proper term for a person of hispanic heritage based on geographical idioms.

Give me a break.

How about we on the Austin forums just face some facts? We live in Texas. Because of our governor and because it's an election year, and because the Republican primary has become such a ridiculous side show, the words "Texas", "conservative", and "Republican" now have multiple meanings. Pretending that this simple fact isn't true is a waste of time. The people we elect to office have made us look really really bad, and now we are going to be forced to do damage control on our reputations for the next 20 years.

It is impossible for someone from California, like the OP, to have watched the wreck that was Rick Perry running for President and not go "wow...people in Texas must be crazy...". Just like it would be impossible for us to watch the evening news and not go "wow, people in Iran are crazy." But people in Iran aren't all uniformly crazy. There is a very strong secular and educated middle class there that is trying to reassert itself into society. But we never hear about that on the news, so we don't realize those people exist. Most people in Texas are perfectly normal. But because our official mascot is Rick Perry, most people in other parts of the country assume that Texans are stupid, backwards, hateful, homophobic, pro-christian idiots.

So, if you are smart, forward thinking, loving, gay, or non christian, you might feel just an EENSY bit of trepidation of moving to Rick Perry's hometown. Moving across the country to an unfamiliar place is already scary enough as it is. Moving to a place that contains people like Rick Perry and his ilk is bowel liquefyingly scary. So what does the OP do? He begins to research and asks the natives "what is austin really like?"

And many of the Austinites on this board, the ones that claim to be "texas friendly", chide him because he doesn't know that the stereotypes of Texans aren't true. You jump all over him because he comes from quite a liberal and socially progressive place, and he is scared that if he moves to Rick Perry's backyard then he might be surrounded by hateful people. So the Austin forums answer to that fear is to jump all over him? It's a LEGITIMATE concern. I post in the New York City forum as well, and there are a lot of posters that go there saying "I am moving to NYC for school, but I am scared it's dangerous..." and THOSE people also get the stuffing ripped out of them because "Why would you think NYC is dangerous. Don't believe all the things you read in the news doofus. God, just stay on the farm, we don't need more of your ilk here..." That's basically what I am hearing in this thread, and on many other threads.

City-data.com is a RELOCATION forum. If someone is deliberately starting fights or spreading stereotypes, then by all means, stomp on them. But if you REALLY want to be "texas friendly" like you claim, how about we stop tutting and wagging fingers at a scared OP who just wants legitimiate information on a concern he has?

Let's be real here...NONE of us would want to live next to Sarah Palin. NONE of us would want to encounter Rick Perry in our workplace. These people are horrible. There is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid an arrogant, conservative, homophobic, socially backwards jerk ass. Since, unfortunately, everyone thinks people in Texas are like that, we have to work extra hard to dispel that stereotype. Yelling at the OP "don't make this like California! This is texas! we dont want california here" only reinforces that stereotype. And my GOD, why do the SAME 4 PEOPLE write that in EVERY thread on City-data. "this is austin, this is texas, we don't want you trying to CHANGE US! I suggest you read a Texas History book...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
But I have also heard that for transplants who grew up truly liberal cities, like me (San Francisco), the liberal label is sort of a facade. So if we drop the term liberal and conservative, is Austin considered progressive? .
Oh the horror!!! Look at the OP stating she understands that liberal and conservative are outmoded terms, and she wants to know the general vibe of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
I am not materialistic, and I enjoy simple things and appreciate the environment, eating well and naturally, and always learning. I am also very open religion-wise. I love interacting with people from different cultures and meeting interesting, accomplished individuals. How would Austin rate with those ideas in mind?
Look at that, instead of using "liberal" or "progressive" she tells us EXACTLY what she has in mind and what she is ideally looking for.

Fairly straight foward request, huh? Without a political agenda at all. To which she is told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Loaded word......."progressive," since I consider myself quite progressive, but not Liberal or Democrat on many issues.

I think it's a little "narrow-minded" and "un-progressive" if you are looking at "liberal" areas in which to move, or to feel "comfortable." You really need to think about OTHER things as far as what suits you and your lifestyle..........NOT politically............very '90s.
Wow! She used a "loaded word".....then described EXACTLY what she meant by it. Get gone OP! We don't want your narrow mindedness here! How dare you ask if we have good food and green space! You were sooooo political that you offended No Likee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Like others have said in this thread, the liberalism you encounter in Austin is not the same as the liberalism you find in the big cities in California. Honestly, if you're looking for the kind of super-PC, environmentalist, hippy-dippy liberalism you find in San Francisco, you'd be better off moving to somewhere like Portland, Eugene, or Seattle. Austin has some of that brand of liberalism, but not really.
Wow, don't come here OP, you hippy-dippy LIBERAL! Austin doesn't need your super pc hippy-dippy self! **** off OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Seriously? What kind of issues are you having because someone on this board used the term Hispanic? That is the term used here, by people from Hispanic backgrounds. Are deciding that the use of the term Hispanic in Texas means it's not progressive enough for you? By all means, if that's got you upset, then you are probably not going to be happy here. Texans are far more laid back than that.
Wow! Because the OP was upset...where exactly? She just mentioned that where she comes from, "hispanic" is not a good term. She was only mentioning how she hopes she doesn't get in trouble using terms she thinks are okay, but are not okay in her new home. But she is stupid to worry about that, right? I mean, she needs to get laid back like us Texans! I mean, how dare she worry about stepping on toes and offending someone accidentally by not knowing the right words to say. What a WITCH! Get laid back like the rest of us OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
If this upset you, then you will not find Austin to be "progressive" at all. If you walk in here, intending to compare everything to the Bay, you'll miss everything that makes Austin ten times more truly accepting and "progressive" than every major metro in CA.

California loves to hype how "unbiased" it is by going out of its way to make sure that everyone understands the correct bias they are to identify with, then calling that dichotomy "acceptance". You won't find as much of that here, but I consider that a relief.
Yeah, this post was real "down home friendly"! At no point did the OP act upset, or compare California to Texas, but out of the woodwork comes the "this t'aint cali-forn-i-a and we be glad about that! yessirree! it's a relief we aint like them californians!" And you bashed California twice for absolutely no reason! That's a hat trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Ugh! This is exactly the kind of politically-correct brand of liberalism that I hated when I was living in San Francisco - and I consider myself to be a very liberal person. I prefer Austin's brand of live-and-let-live liberalism even if we are smack in the middle of one of the most reactionary states in the U.S.

Honestly, if something as simple as someone using the term, "Hispanic" (which I've never heard anyone complain about until I saw your post), is going to bother you, I would stay in San Francisco.
Here we have more of that Texas friendly spirit! If the OP was from England and said "we call cigarettes f@gs here, but I understand that the word f@g means something different in America, I hope I don't get dirty looks if I say something wrong!" then what would be wrong with that statement? The OP was only talking about cultural differences. You jump all over her and tell her that she is the exact kind of liberal you hate and that she needs to move elsewhere.

I hope you people are proud of your "welcoming" and "texas friendly" attitudes. It's like high school in the Austin forum, and all the mean girls just love to attack the newbie.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
461 posts, read 625,194 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
How about we on the Austin forums just face some facts?
That would be fine, if the entire rest of your post wasn't your usual diatribe against people with different politics than yours.

Quote:
The people we elect to office have made us look really really bad, and now we are going to be forced to do damage control on our reputations for the next 20 years.
You are the one who is assuming that what Rick Perry says about anything has got anything to do with what people in Austin are like. I think the gist of this thread up until your post was 'If you are the kind of person who looks at some state-level politicians and makes assumptions about the entire state, probably you will be better off not coming.'

Quote:
It is impossible for someone from California, like the OP, to have watched the wreck that was Rick Perry running for President and not go "wow...people in Texas must be crazy...".
Most (though not all, and not me) people I know who moved to Austin from CA or NY like Perry. I know that to you that makes them idiots and morons. I am really ambivalent about Perry and do think his presidential run was a disaster. I just don't buy that Perry and what people think of him has much at all to do with what living in Austin is like.

Quote:
Let's be real here...NONE of us would want to live next to Sarah Palin. NONE of us would want to encounter Rick Perry in our workplace. These people are horrible. There is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid an arrogant, conservative, homophobic, socially backwards jerk ass.
It's awesome that you condemn precisely the same kind arrogance you are showing in the same sentence.

Quote:
I mean, how dare she worry about stepping on toes and offending someone accidentally by not knowing the right words to say.
Funny you should mention that, since she was doing exactly what you're upset about by condemning somebody else for not knowing the right words to say!

Quote:
Since, unfortunately, everyone thinks people in Texas are like that, we have to work extra hard to dispel that stereotype.
Strangely -- no, we don't. I don't know anyone who gets as up in arms about this stuff in the Austin forum as you do. Like you're worried that Perry and the religious right are going to somehow ruin Austin for you.

You must imagine (if you care, which perhaps you don't) that I am some religious conservative because I find your posts to so obnoxious as to make eepstein look like he works for the tourist board. The irony is that you and I are probably aligned very similarly in our politics. I don't care for Palin and I very much dislike Perry's religious pandering. I am, in fact, an atheist, but I don't say these things to establish some kind of 'cred' with you. I say them because, as EzPeterson so eloquently pointed out, it doesn't matter. What I love about Austin is that the environment of "tolerance" is not "everybody agrees with me and is just as open-minded as I am," but that it's perfectly acceptable and if your neighbor doesn't agree with you. The rush to disapprove and condemn just isn't there like you see in some places.

Imagine for a moment the opposite end of the spectrum as OP -- somebody asking for a nice church community with conservative family values who was concerned that the conservatism in Austin was a "facade." Many of the successive posts could have expressed exactly the same sentiment: if you go around with the idea that there is one right way to be, or insist that people talk a certain way, you will probably enjoy someplace where people are more "like you."

The hypocrisy of attacking intolerance and narrow-mindedness in the same breath that you insist that everyone who has anything nice to say about Perry is a socially backwards jackass is astounding.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,426 posts, read 22,750,220 times
Reputation: 12669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
That would be fine, if the entire rest of your post wasn't your usual diatribe against people with different politics than yours.



You are the one who is assuming that what Rick Perry says about anything has got anything to do with what people in Austin are like. I think the gist of this thread up until your post was 'If you are the kind of person who looks at some state-level politicians and makes assumptions about the entire state, probably you will be better off not coming.'



Most (though not all, and not me) people I know who moved to Austin from CA or NY like Perry. I know that to you that makes them idiots and morons. I am really ambivalent about Perry and do think his presidential run was a disaster. I just don't buy that Perry and what people think of him has much at all to do with what living in Austin is like.



It's awesome that you condemn precisely the same kind arrogance you are showing in the same sentence.



Funny you should mention that, since she was doing exactly what you're upset about by condemning somebody else for not knowing the right words to say!



Strangely -- no, we don't. I don't know anyone who gets as up in arms about this stuff in the Austin forum as you do. Like you're worried that Perry and the religious right are going to somehow ruin Austin for you.

You must imagine (if you care, which perhaps you don't) that I am some religious conservative because I find your posts to so obnoxious as to make eepstein look like he works for the tourist board. The irony is that you and I are probably aligned very similarly in our politics. I don't care for Palin and I very much dislike Perry's religious pandering. I am, in fact, an atheist, but I don't say these things to establish some kind of 'cred' with you. I say them because, as EzPeterson so eloquently pointed out, it doesn't matter. What I love about Austin is that the environment of "tolerance" is not "everybody agrees with me and is just as open-minded as I am," but that it's perfectly acceptable and if your neighbor doesn't agree with you. The rush to disapprove and condemn just isn't there like you see in some places.

Imagine for a moment the opposite end of the spectrum as OP -- somebody asking for a nice church community with conservative family values who was concerned that the conservatism in Austin was a "facade." Many of the successive posts could have expressed exactly the same sentiment: if you go around with the idea that there is one right way to be, or insist that people talk a certain way, you will probably enjoy someplace where people are more "like you."

The hypocrisy of attacking intolerance and narrow-mindedness in the same breath that you insist that everyone who has anything nice to say about Perry is a socially backwards jackass is astounding.
Well, it would be astounding, if it weren't so common, even, apparently, required, for extremists of either stripe to do exactly that and not be able to recognize that they're doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top