U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,213 posts, read 2,376,656 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Did anybody ever figure out what 'progressive' means?
According to the OP, she meant progressive to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
So if we drop the term liberal and conservative, is Austin considered progressive? I will die a slow death if I encounter any more drunk young girls named Ashley when I am out on a Friday night, shallow as can be. I am a single female in my late 30s who is looking for other single friends (and in a city where there is little pressure to become a family unit), as well as for intelligent, non-metrosexual guys. I am not materialistic, and I enjoy simple things and appreciate the environment, eating well and naturally, and always learning. I am also very open religion-wise. I love interacting with people from different cultures and meeting interesting, accomplished individuals. How would Austin rate with those ideas in mind? .
So she doesn't like drunk young girls and likes her men to be dirty. She likes simple living and the enviornment.

For that she is a "hippy-dippy san fransisco liberal, the kind of liberal that Austin absolutely hates".

 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,213 posts, read 2,376,656 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
It seems to me that all of your posts amount to this: you are right, everyone else is wrong, and you are going to keep on making lengthy posts about how wrong they are until they admit that you're right.

I've never seen that actually happen to anyone as full of vitriol as you appear to be..
You are mistaking the posts. TexasHorseLady, in a thread about smoking bans, said that anyone who agreed with a smoking ban, and in particular myself, CptnRn, and Oldtoiletsmakegoodflwrpots had the EXACT SAME ATTITUDE as the people that flew planes into the world trade center.

Upon making this comment, THL tried to pretend that she is just a grandmotherly soul, and why, we are all stupid for thinking what she said was offensive. 5 people called her out and said what she did was reprehensible, and then THL ran away and hid.

And now, whenever she posts about how she is the paragon of tolerance and understanding, I feel the need to remind her that she called 3 of her fellow posters terrorists, simply because they disagreed with her. 9/11 was a terrible event, and to say "You are just like those mass murderers because you want a smoking ban.." was a terrible thing to say.

And whenever you remind her of it, she tries to weasel, but notice she will never go back and quote what she said completely, because she knows she was wrong. And she will never respond to all the posters that called her reprehensible, because she knows they are right.

And if THL wants to talk about the weather and about Austin and about life in general, more power to her. But if she gets on her high horse and goes "yeah, it's funny how some people go to extremes to prove a point" then you can bet I am going to say "yeah, some people named TexasHorseLady."
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM
 
3,983 posts, read 5,969,517 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
So you interpret her that way, and that is fine. It didn't call for her to be called "the exact type of liberal I hate". I think that her statement could be taken either way, as a condemnation, or as a simple self reflection....but because she is from California than OBVIOUSLY she is judging us...
Agree with this, but it is a forum after all. Most of the regulars can get down right nasty in a way they would never do in person.

Not me of course
 
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
 
239 posts, read 236,524 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I really wish that people could just ask open ended questions about relocating to Austin on a relocation forum without having to deal with all the posters who go "We're American, we're Austinites! We are laid back! don't bring your PC crap here."

The OP did not ask for a history lesson on political leanings over the last 30 years coupled with a lesson in the proper term for a person of hispanic heritage based on geographical idioms.

Give me a break.

How about we on the Austin forums just face some facts? We live in Texas. Because of our governor and because it's an election year, and because the Republican primary has become such a ridiculous side show, the words "Texas", "conservative", and "Republican" now have multiple meanings. Pretending that this simple fact isn't true is a waste of time. The people we elect to office have made us look really really bad, and now we are going to be forced to do damage control on our reputations for the next 20 years.

It is impossible for someone from California, like the OP, to have watched the wreck that was Rick Perry running for President and not go "wow...people in Texas must be crazy...". Just like it would be impossible for us to watch the evening news and not go "wow, people in Iran are crazy." But people in Iran aren't all uniformly crazy. There is a very strong secular and educated middle class there that is trying to reassert itself into society. But we never hear about that on the news, so we don't realize those people exist. Most people in Texas are perfectly normal. But because our official mascot is Rick Perry, most people in other parts of the country assume that Texans are stupid, backwards, hateful, homophobic, pro-christian idiots.

So, if you are smart, forward thinking, loving, gay, or non christian, you might feel just an EENSY bit of trepidation of moving to Rick Perry's hometown. Moving across the country to an unfamiliar place is already scary enough as it is. Moving to a place that contains people like Rick Perry and his ilk is bowel liquefyingly scary. So what does the OP do? He begins to research and asks the natives "what is austin really like?"

And many of the Austinites on this board, the ones that claim to be "texas friendly", chide him because he doesn't know that the stereotypes of Texans aren't true. You jump all over him because he comes from quite a liberal and socially progressive place, and he is scared that if he moves to Rick Perry's backyard then he might be surrounded by hateful people. So the Austin forums answer to that fear is to jump all over him? It's a LEGITIMATE concern. I post in the New York City forum as well, and there are a lot of posters that go there saying "I am moving to NYC for school, but I am scared it's dangerous..." and THOSE people also get the stuffing ripped out of them because "Why would you think NYC is dangerous. Don't believe all the things you read in the news doofus. God, just stay on the farm, we don't need more of your ilk here..." That's basically what I am hearing in this thread, and on many other threads.

City-data.com is a RELOCATION forum. If someone is deliberately starting fights or spreading stereotypes, then by all means, stomp on them. But if you REALLY want to be "texas friendly" like you claim, how about we stop tutting and wagging fingers at a scared OP who just wants legitimiate information on a concern he has?

Let's be real here...NONE of us would want to live next to Sarah Palin. NONE of us would want to encounter Rick Perry in our workplace. These people are horrible. There is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid an arrogant, conservative, homophobic, socially backwards jerk ass. Since, unfortunately, everyone thinks people in Texas are like that, we have to work extra hard to dispel that stereotype. Yelling at the OP "don't make this like California! This is texas! we dont want california here" only reinforces that stereotype. And my GOD, why do the SAME 4 PEOPLE write that in EVERY thread on City-data. "this is austin, this is texas, we don't want you trying to CHANGE US! I suggest you read a Texas History book...".



Oh the horror!!! Look at the OP stating she understands that liberal and conservative are outmoded terms, and she wants to know the general vibe of the city.



Look at that, instead of using "liberal" or "progressive" she tells us EXACTLY what she has in mind and what she is ideally looking for.

Fairly straight foward request, huh? Without a political agenda at all. To which she is told.



Wow! She used a "loaded word".....then described EXACTLY what she meant by it. Get gone OP! We don't want your narrow mindedness here! How dare you ask if we have good food and green space! You were sooooo political that you offended No Likee.



Wow, don't come here OP, you hippy-dippy LIBERAL! Austin doesn't need your super pc hippy-dippy self! **** off OP!



Wow! Because the OP was upset...where exactly? She just mentioned that where she comes from, "hispanic" is not a good term. She was only mentioning how she hopes she doesn't get in trouble using terms she thinks are okay, but are not okay in her new home. But she is stupid to worry about that, right? I mean, she needs to get laid back like us Texans! I mean, how dare she worry about stepping on toes and offending someone accidentally by not knowing the right words to say. What a WITCH! Get laid back like the rest of us OP!



Yeah, this post was real "down home friendly"! At no point did the OP act upset, or compare California to Texas, but out of the woodwork comes the "this t'aint cali-forn-i-a and we be glad about that! yessirree! it's a relief we aint like them californians!" And you bashed California twice for absolutely no reason! That's a hat trick!



Here we have more of that Texas friendly spirit! If the OP was from England and said "we call cigarettes f@gs here, but I understand that the word f@g means something different in America, I hope I don't get dirty looks if I say something wrong!" then what would be wrong with that statement? The OP was only talking about cultural differences. You jump all over her and tell her that she is the exact kind of liberal you hate and that she needs to move elsewhere.

I hope you people are proud of your "welcoming" and "texas friendly" attitudes. It's like high school in the Austin forum, and all the mean girls just love to attack the newbie.
AMEN....brother!!!!!!!!
 
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Austin
773 posts, read 544,750 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphRod View Post
Hi - I am looking to relocate and Austin is in my top three list of cities to move. I did research on most educated and "liberal" (loosely) cities in the US and it consistently ranked on the top. But I have also heard that for transplants who grew up truly liberal cities, like me (San Francisco), the liberal label is sort of a facade. So if we drop the term liberal and conservative, is Austin considered progressive? I will die a slow death if I encounter any more drunk young girls named Ashley when I am out on a Friday night, shallow as can be. I am a single female in my late 30s who is looking for other single friends (and in a city where there is little pressure to become a family unit), as well as for intelligent, non-metrosexual guys. I am not materialistic, and I enjoy simple things and appreciate the environment, eating well and naturally, and always learning. I am also very open religion-wise. I love interacting with people from different cultures and meeting interesting, accomplished individuals. How would Austin rate with those ideas in mind? I appreciate all positive comments, even if the response is not what I am looking for. Please don't respond if you have nasty or sarcastic or empty responses. Thanks again.
I have lived in Berkeley, and no ... Austin is nothing like the Bay Area kind of liberal, so you're correct on that point.

However, you can find the type of people and environment in greater density in certain parts of Austin, which makes "connecting" with your community a lot easier. It sounds like South Austin (SoCo, Barton Springs area) might strike your fancy. Or actually, anywhere in Central Austin.

There are many people who will disagree with me, but Central Austin is the place to be if you don't want to be around conventional family-oriented neighborhoods, which can be found in great abundance in the 'burbs. The further out you go, the more conventional the attitude, IMHO.

But this tends to be typical in any medium- or large-sized city, not just Austin.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
4,863 posts, read 3,061,097 times
Reputation: 3185
Sounds like some of y'all would be more comfortable moving to Pyongyang.

 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
459 posts, read 591,771 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Are you going to be as mature and adult as I was
No.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
13,753 posts, read 9,253,571 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
If I was going to move to, let's say Salt Lake City, it would be natural for me to be apprehensive because Salt Lake City is heavily influenced by Mormon culture, and Mormons are fanatically anti-gay.
A link for you: Forget San Francisco (18th) or New York (not even on the list) the gayest city in the U.S. is Salt Lake City, Utah, according to The Advocate, the gay and lesbian newsmagazine. I'd say more, but it would end up derailing the thread.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,213 posts, read 2,376,656 times
Reputation: 2170
Come on now...

and I quote..

Rather than rely on the U.S. Census tabulation of gay and lesbian populations, which inevitably yield San Francisco as No. 1, The Advocate used different measures to establish "per capita *****ness" including a city's number of teams entered in the Gay Softball World Series, gay bookstores, openly gay elected officials and semifinalists in the International Mr. Leather Contest, which is held every year in Chicago.

Wow, lots of finalists in the Mr. Leather Contest....I didn't realize that you had to be into leather to be gay. You should probably read your links before you attach them.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
13,753 posts, read 9,253,571 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Come on now...
Sorry the link didn't meet your standards. As I said before, I don't want to derail this thread, but Salt Lake City is generally known to be a pretty gay-friendly city, as surprising as people may find that fact. You can find a lot of other sources than the one I gave. Anyway... back to discussing Austin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top