Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,219 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good local appliance/electronics retailer/outlet? I'd rather not go to BestBuy, Circuit City, WalMart etc... We want to get a new TV(nothing huge, just a small LCD flat panel for our apartment), but we'd rather buy local if possible.

Those big places are so annoying to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,787,882 times
That's a good question.

The only local place I know of is A&B TV off Anderson in N Austin - A&B TV (http://www.abtvaustin.com/about.html - broken link). I bought a TV there years ago, decent price (older model) and the people were friendly. They've got ads in the paper each week.. in general, I think they are more expensive, and there isn't the "easy return" policy of your BB/Circuit City... but they are local. I think there is another place called "Austin Home Theatre" in the same area (Anderson/Burnet). Went there to look at some Magnepan speakers, but ended up ordering those direct (GREAT deal, BTW).

You also might consider Fry's. They are not a local chain, but a very small chain and each store they build unique for the area. The Austin one has a music theme, the front door is a big giant piano. Lots of props to the local music scene inside. I really, really like that store.

If those don't do it for you, I'd look up a local TV repair shop and ask where you might find a locally owned dealer.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM

206 posts, read 1,307,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good local appliance/electronics retailer/outlet? I'd rather not go to BestBuy, Circuit City, WalMart etc... We want to get a new TV(nothing huge, just a small LCD flat panel for our apartment), but we'd rather buy local if possible.

Those big places are so annoying to me
You may not like this answer. But when it comes to appliances/electronics I would recommend to stick with the leading retailers. It makes servicing/installation/returns etc a little easier.
I compare items (big ticket ones) from most places, including A&B and Conn's (you may consider them to be local), but always end up buying it from a BestBuy or Fry's.
I try to stay away from Walmart. Prices might be ok, but worst service that you can imagine.
Sears is a good place too for appliances.

If you still hold reservations against big box retailers, try online stores.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,219 times
Great info folks. I'm not hard-core anti-big box, but I used to work for a family-owned appliance store chain in college, and those people were so informed and friendly that I kept going there for years. Great point about return policies. That is quite an advantage of larger places. God knows I've returned enough merchandise to Home Depot over the years I'll check out Frye's.

BTW, Walmart just bums me out on so many levels

Old 09-13-2007, 02:46 AM

101 posts, read 382,593 times
We had a good experience buying a whole set of goods from Giant Appliances which is one of those "scratch & dent" retailers. They have stores on North Lamar and somewhere else that escapes me. Thankfully we are yet to test how robust the warranties are, but the savings as against full retail price were great.

As I recall they do sell TVs although the brands were non mainstream.

Further, given that we were assisted by the owner's sister, I guess this a locally owned outfit.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 AM

77 posts, read 381,794 times
Default Home Theatre Store

We've had excellent service from Home Theatre Store, near Anderson Lane. Since we're digital dinosaurs, we need attention, which we get. Altho a high end store, the sales on smaller units appear competitive, and with the service and knowledge you get, we think the price is right.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,253,014 times
I remember Oscar Snowden's....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin