Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,247 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are looking to move from Michigan to somewhere warmer and have heard great things about Austin. We're Jewish (and my husband is Persian... from Iran) and I want to make sure that our kids grow up in an area that is diverse. Great schools are a must, but I also want to make sure we're not the only Jewish family in the area. We're somewhere between conservative and reform, so we don't need to send them to an Orthodox Jewish school or anything, but I don't want them to be excluded or discriminated against.

My husband will be finishing his residency in ENT next June, so we will probably be looking to move summer of 2013. I'm a nurse and a nursing instructor, so I would need a good nursing school nearby. Any suggestions of areas we should narrow our search (or avoid entirely) would be much appreciated.

I've spent enough time on this forum to know that you guys like detail, so to sum up:

-Would like a family-friendly neighborhood
-Good schools
-Jewish community presence
-Good hospital nearby (for ENT)
-Nursing school (community college would be great)
-Not sure how much our money will get us, but we would need at least a 4 bedroom. I've already looked on realtor.com, but I just don't know what our income will be initially.

We are open to areas surrounding Austin as well, preferably within a 30 minute drive or so.

Thanks so much!
-Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Should we stay or go View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are looking to move from Michigan to somewhere warmer and have heard great things about Austin. We're Jewish (and my husband is Persian... from Iran) and I want to make sure that our kids grow up in an area that is diverse. Great schools are a must, but I also want to make sure we're not the only Jewish family in the area. We're somewhere between conservative and reform, so we don't need to send them to an Orthodox Jewish school or anything, but I don't want them to be excluded or discriminated against.

My husband will be finishing his residency in ENT next June, so we will probably be looking to move summer of 2013. I'm a nurse and a nursing instructor, so I would need a good nursing school nearby. Any suggestions of areas we should narrow our search (or avoid entirely) would be much appreciated.

I've spent enough time on this forum to know that you guys like detail, so to sum up:

-Would like a family-friendly neighborhood
-Good schools
-Jewish community presence
-Good hospital nearby (for ENT)
-Nursing school (community college would be great)
-Not sure how much our money will get us, but we would need at least a 4 bedroom. I've already looked on realtor.com, but I just don't know what our income will be initially.

We are open to areas surrounding Austin as well, preferably within a 30 minute drive or so.

Thanks so much!
-Kate
Northwest hills has a significant jewish presence. The jewish community center is on far west blvd. Look for housing around mesa between spicewood springs all the way down to 2222. There are houses in all kinds of price ranges in the area.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,183 times
Try this link:

Jewish Community Association of Austin

You should keep your options open. I don't think you will have problems in many desirable neighborhoods.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
One of my long time co-workers is Jewish. Born and raised Texan. He had a Polish-sounding last name. I didn't know he was Jewish until recently. For me that is an example of how it often is with religion around here. I have no idea what religion someone is most of the time. Occasionally I will see something, such as during Lent.

My point is that I think a Jewish family is likely to be comfortable in Austin in just about any area. Austin has people of many shades of color. I think a person of Persian decent would not stand out nor face any discomfort in Austin.

Lots of good family neighborhoods with good schools. Which is best depends on budget, lifestyle, commute, etc.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
The Far West (or FW) is kind of the de facto center of the Jewish community, but it is also one of the least diverse areas of town (at least based on the schools). Not that I think you will have a problem, but you may want to look further afield if that is a big deal.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM

355 posts, read 923,062 times
I am from Michigan.

There are Jews here. Is there a "Jewish community presence" in Austin? Not really. There really aren't many arabic people here either. What I wouldn't do for a lamb & hummus plate!

My (not Jewish) BFF lives in Weston, FL where her children get Jewish holidays off from school.

Nothing like that here.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
You would be welcome anywhere, but yes to the Northwest Hills area if you wish to have a Jewish community feeling.

The H-E-B Supermarket (the pre-eminent Central Texas chain) just off Far West Boulevard has a kosher market and deli within, and the seasonal racks just inside the front door of the main market are currently burgeoning with matzos and kosher-for-passover foods. The Jewish clientele there runs the full spectrum from Orthodox to Reform to Fully Lapsed.

You will see some yarmulkes and tefillen, and it's the only supermarket in Austin I know of where you might occasionally hear a klezmer band playing. Of course, this being Texas, the band includes a steel-guitar player.

One of Austin's most prominent citizens, Michael Dell, is Jewish, and he and his wife Susan are active philanthropists in the community. The Old Quarry Library next door to the H-E-B has a good selection of materials with topics of special interest to the Jewish community. How about the movie Ushpizin on DVD? You won't find that just everywhere.

So anyway, it's not a Jewish community, per se... matter of fact, there are also a lot of Asian students in the area too... but there is a noticeable Jewish presence, and I know you would feel welcome. Come on down!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM

69 posts, read 142,245 times
I'm Jewish and I live in Southwest Austin and I feel like a unicorn ("your jewish? I never met a jewish person before!"). Honestly other than the northwest hills neighborhoods described above you're not going to get much of a jewish "community feel" anywhere else in this area. When I see a person with a yarmulke I literally want to go over and hug them - it's such a rare sight.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 PM

355 posts, read 923,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunawink View Post
I'm Jewish and I live in Southwest Austin and I feel like a unicorn ("your jewish? I never met a jewish person before!"). Honestly other than the northwest hills neighborhoods described above you're not going to get much of a jewish "community feel" anywhere else in this area. When I see a person with a yarmulke I literally want to go over and hug them - it's such a rare sight.
And she wants a 4BR? What's the minimum price for one in NW Hills?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,183 times
Wholly Bagel - 4404 William Cannon (between Mopac and Brush Country by the Golds Gym....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-15-2012 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned material...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: