U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM

104 posts, read 235,135 times

Advertisements

We need to buy a new washer dryer. It's been a while since we shopped around for washer/dryer. Any recommendations? Which brand is better, front load or top load? It would be nicer if we can keep it 1k.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 AM
cm4

94 posts, read 220,541 times
Go to Sam's Club, Costco or a big box and buy one of the intermediate models. No the lowest ones with no features, but a notch or two above. Should be able to get a good pair well under $1000.

Until they invent a washer dryer pair that folds clothes when complete, I'm not paying big bucks for a fancy front loader, bright colorered washer dryer combo.

I like top loader washer so I can do soak cycle. That and a fabric softener dispenser were about the only items on my must have list.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 PM

3,850 posts, read 9,444,587 times
Our washer broke and Sears was running a 30% off sale on Kenmore. We bought a basic set for less than $1000- I wanted a dryer with that moisture sensor so I upgraded a notch. I'm happy with them overall. Whirlpool is another brand I would buy based on past experience. Sears carries those as well. There's a Sears outlet at 183 and Anderson Mill that has some closeouts and scratch and dent appliances - it's definitely worth a look.

If I sound like a Sears salesperson, LOL, it's because we've purchased almost all of our major appliances there over that last 25 years. Last year we broke tradition and bought at a bog box home improvement store. Big mistake. From now on, I'm sticking to Sears!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 PM

7,154 posts, read 13,088,437 times
Front loaders rock because of the reduced water and energy requirements! moisture sensor in the dryer will also save money over the long term.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 PM

279 posts, read 1,034,970 times
Love my LG front loaders, they even have a dry cleaning option, Conns gave me a great deal 0% interest for 3 years

Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,160,405 times
Whirlpool makes good stuff. Never had a problem with the cheaper Kenmore appliances we had out east but if you plan on keeping them for a long time, I'd spend a few hundred extra bucks and get the front loading washer. Particularly with energy rates what they are, you'll make back the difference in a couple years.

Choosing a Washing Machine: Top-Loading vs. Front-Loading - Article :: Networx

Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubchub68 View Post
We need to buy a new washer dryer. It's been a while since we shopped around for washer/dryer. Any recommendations? Which brand is better, front load or top load? It would be nicer if we can keep it 1k.

Thanks!
GE or LG great washers

Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,489 times
Default washer and dryiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappyreplyguy View Post
GE or LG great washers
Sears also great, Kenmore

Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM

708 posts, read 1,242,093 times
Stay far, far away from GE. Every single GE I own has broken some way or another by itself. Hate that brand.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM

8,153 posts, read 13,541,681 times
Four years ago, we bought the most efficient TOP-loader on the market...the Maytag Bravos. Extremely efficient in terms of water use...almost a hybrid top/front loader in the way it is designed. Soak cycle is available, as well as an easier time of adding an item during the wash cycle. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the lack of a tumble feature that front loaders have...things don't come out as wrinkle-free as with a front loader. It may be that others have similar models since plenty of folks prefer the top-loading feature(easier if you have limited space or a bad back, also).

No problems with our washer or dryer since June '08. Home Depot had a gift card 'rebate' AND 10%off AND free delivery/install, NO payments/interest for one year(things are a bit different now with payments being required through the time period), Maytag had a rebate AND it was a 'no sales tax on qualifying appliances' holiday weekend(Memorial Day). We didn't close on the house until June 4 but HD was so busy with deliveries, they were happy to put us down the list a bit.

We bought a washer & dryer and fridge...all Maytag...on the same bill. Saved a bunch but that 'hit' 12 months later was an eye-opener!

IF you already have a Home Depot CC, they will likely have one year of no interest(6 months is standard but there are frequent 'specials' that go for a year).

I'll add that we had a Kenmore front loader that was purchased from the Sears Outlet in Atlanta in the early 'Zins. Excellent machine but we did have to take care to dry the door gasket and leave the door ajar after each wash(to avoid the dreaded moisture issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or