U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM

37 posts, read 70,180 times
Default Where to buy affordable solid wood bedroom furniture?

I want to replace my entire bedroom without breaking the bank. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but something solid that will last a long time, preferably solid wood. I'd prefer to pay $2k to $4k. Maybe $5k if I really liked it. (Including bed frame, 2 nightstands, 2 dressers, mirror and maybe a mattress/box springs if we upgrade to a king bed.) Prefer to buy new. Not really for a good reason other than a lot of my furniture was Craigslist finds and this would be a splurge for us.

I guess I'm debating if I can find what I want at this price range or whether I should hold off for a bit. I'm in north Austin off 35/Tech Ridge. Heard Couch Potatoes may be a good place? Also heard mentions of Furniture Market but a friend told me they had a crappy experience with poor communication and waiting a long time for delivery.

Definitely want to skip Ikea this time, and hubby hates Crate and Barrel/West Elm kind of stuff. Probably something transitional, not into super modern stuff, and not looking for anything that looks antique.

Only places I looked so far was Star Furniture, Furniture in the Raw and Furniture Market. Actually liked FM stuff the best so far but didn't see anything "perfect."

Any suggestions? Open to ordering online as well. I'm in Houston frequently too (family) if anyone knows of a great place there that would deliver to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 AM

4,013 posts, read 6,100,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorey View Post
I want to replace my entire bedroom without breaking the bank. Doesn't have to be top of the line, but something solid that will last a long time, preferably solid wood. I'd prefer to pay $2k to $4k. Maybe $5k if I really liked it. (Including bed frame, 2 nightstands, 2 dressers, mirror and maybe a mattress/box springs if we upgrade to a king bed.) Prefer to buy new. Not really for a good reason other than a lot of my furniture was Craigslist finds and this would be a splurge for us.

I guess I'm debating if I can find what I want at this price range or whether I should hold off for a bit. I'm in north Austin off 35/Tech Ridge. Heard Couch Potatoes may be a good place? Also heard mentions of Furniture Market but a friend told me they had a crappy experience with poor communication and waiting a long time for delivery.

Definitely want to skip Ikea this time, and hubby hates Crate and Barrel/West Elm kind of stuff. Probably something transitional, not into super modern stuff, and not looking for anything that looks antique.

Only places I looked so far was Star Furniture, Furniture in the Raw and Furniture Market. Actually liked FM stuff the best so far but didn't see anything "perfect."

Any suggestions? Open to ordering online as well. I'm in Houston frequently too (family) if anyone knows of a great place there that would deliver to Austin.
louis shanks is having their tent sale. You can usually get 50% of their normally expensive pieces.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 AM

583 posts, read 634,459 times
Four Hands has an outlet store. It only operates on the weekends. It's off of Burnett Road, can't recall the exact location but great deals can be had there.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM

4,013 posts, read 6,100,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorey View Post

pottery barn/restoration hardware/crate and barrel outlets in san marcos are hit or miss but you can get good stuff there.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,110,575 times
Haverty's, Star, Ashley, and Ethan Allen would be the first places I would go. Bought solid wood furniture from all in the past.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,638,355 times
I have bought a lot of furniture at Furniture in the Raw. It is all solid wood, and is much more reasonable than most other furniture stores. I bought dining room chairs, a wall of bookshelves, a printer stand, breakfast room table and chairs, side cupboards for the dining room, etc. Some I finished myself, and some I had them finish. But it was all reasonable. If you ask about giving you a reduced price because you are buying a lot, they will do that. And I feel better that it is all solid wood - no pressboard or whatever so much of the furniture is now days. And most of it is made in the US.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,363,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have bought a lot of furniture at Furniture in the Raw. It is all solid wood, and is much more reasonable than most other furniture stores. I bought dining room chairs, a wall of bookshelves, a printer stand, breakfast room table and chairs, side cupboards for the dining room, etc. Some I finished myself, and some I had them finish. But it was all reasonable. If you ask about giving you a reduced price because you are buying a lot, they will do that. And I feel better that it is all solid wood - no pressboard or whatever so much of the furniture is now days. And most of it is made in the US.
I second that recommendation.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 PM

37 posts, read 70,180 times
Thanks for the tips. Still looking. Anyone have any advice on what is reasonable to spend for solid wood furniture? (king bed frame, dresser with mirror, chest/tall dresser and 2 nightstands.) I don't want to spend so little and get crap, but don't want to overspend when I could get a better deal for something just as solid if that makes sense. Any advice appreciated.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM

460 posts, read 605,786 times
I think your budget is good. For a full bedroom set, $3k ought to get you a decent if not top-of-the-line one (assuming we're talking just a bed frame and not a mattress - that could add a bit more). $4-$5k should get you into the higher end consumer stuff. More than that and you're looking at designer/custom stuff.

I haven't actually ordered from these guys but I've used them as a reference in considering what to buy and how much to pay (as we're looking for a bedroom set too): Online Shopping for Home Furnishings, Home Decor & Outdoor Furniture | Hayneedle.com

I'd steer clear of Pottery Barn. They'll gouge you for something like this unless they're really on sale.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,638,355 times
We bought our bedroom furniture almost 40 years ago at an unfinished furniture place (not even in this state), had them finish them for us, and we have been happy with the set ever since. At an unfinished place you can see the wood and know it is solid. I know that the Shaker furniture place sells solid wood, but it is really an expensive place. At places like Pottery Barn, you could be getting the cheap stuff, just sold at a high price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin