Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie425 View Post
I don't think anyone answered my previous question. I just wanted to know, especially considering a lot of the negative things about the Austin area people are bringing up, why is it constantly on the Top Ten lists for places in the U.S. to raise a family?
Very low crime, low cost of housing in the suburbs, good weather year-round if you can handle the summer, good public schools in the suburbs, lots of low cost outdoor activities for the kids (parks, lakes, sports leagues, etc.)

Last edited by mark311; 04-09-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I spent my first 35 years in Minnesota and was outside every day in the winter. And yes, I did all of the things mentioned. Which is why, when I retire in two years I'm heading north to enjoy four seasons and a winter full of activities. As for those that say you can picnic when it's 110 degrees, you got to be kidding! If the heat doesn't kill you, the fire ants will.
I've experienced -28 before and they were warning not to go outside because exposed flesh will get frostbite within 30 seconds.

Even when it's 110, I've spent the full day out at Barton Springs swimming and enjoying the day.

You just can't do it in MN cold and you know that. Nobody picnics outside in a MN winter but you'll find plenty of barbeques and picnics during the summer here. Yes, you don't sit in the direct sun, but everything is okay in the shade.

Also, up north many a time I read about a toddler that accidentally went outside because a door was left unlocked or what have you and guess what, they died within minutes. I think it's highly unlikely that a toddler venturing out from a house in TX would die of heat exhaustion. At least that kid would have longer than in the MN winter.

When I made my decision about which climate was best, I thought about which one would be safer for the kids in the extreme emergency, which is if the kid walked out in PJ's at night. TX wins in that category you must admit.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's 91 in my West Texas hometown right now, and that's one thing I absolutely do not miss about Texas. It's an overcast 68 degrees here in northern NM....
It's been downright pleasant the last couple of months. Not sure what you're saying.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM

105 posts, read 127,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie425 View Post
What was your opinion goodman? I'm curious.

Yes, we will definitely visit and spend some time driving around. We would never move anywhere on a whim, that's for sure. My husband would need to find a decent job first.

One question: Why is Austin, TX constantly on the Top Ten list for places to raise a family? Is that just propaganda?
I think you just have to visit the place and make your own conclusions. You can't really base your entire decision on what you read. Plus, every person has their level of tolerance and acceptance of their surroundings. I'm quite observant when it comes to how people treat other people. This ultimately is what it comes down to for me.

Although I did not spend time in the North part of Austin like Round Rock and places along that latitude, I have heard that may not be a bad place especially coming from Chicago.

I can't really answer why Austin seems to be in the limelight but I think its music aspect may have some influence to it. There are a few tech companies there but to be paid well like $70k on up you need to have the proper degree. As one poster has said, many transplants go to Austin expecting immediate employment with good pay but that does not happen. I know at least 6 individuals from Michigan who went there within the the past 5 years who started with minimum wage waiting on tables and are only up to $10-12 per hour now working on contract with a tech company.

Oh and another thing, if Austin is so great for employment, why are there homeless, unemployed folks soliciting in nearly every major street corner?

Last edited by goodman3; 04-09-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think it's highly unlikely that a toddler venturing out from a house in TX would die of heat exhaustion.
No, it usually happens while the toddler is strapped in a car seat while mom or dad goes and leaves it behind for an hour or two.

Not sure why, but that doesn't happen here in the desert as often as it did when I lived in TX. (But then again, the average age here in Palm Springs is about 77, so not many toddlers toddling about here.)

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM

16 posts, read 36,014 times
Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post

Oh and another thing, if Austin is so great for employment, why are there homeless, unemployed folks soliciting in nearly every major street corner?
1. Again, You saw a very small part of Austin, and likely the part with the highest density of foot traffic and visitors - regardless of the city you're in, this will be where panhandlers set up shop. More people = more handouts = more money. Some of them likely make more than minimum wage, and don't even have to leave home to work.

2. Moderate climate. Many of these transients are just that - transient. Believe me, come June, not nearly as many of them on the street. They'll migrate to towns that they don't have to worry about freezing to death during the winter, then roll north or coastal for the summer.

3. Acceptance. One of Austin's most famous citizens was quasi-homeless.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
[quote=cBach;23786193]I've experienced -28 before and they were warning not to go outside because exposed flesh will get frostbite within 30 seconds.

You just can't do it in MN cold and you know that. Nobody picnics outside in a MN winter but you'll find plenty of barbeques and picnics during the summer here. Yes, you don't sit in the direct sun, but everything is okay in the shade.

I've played outside in -79 below wind chill. We played hockey at Bemidji State University for three and a half hours. No frostbite, no deaths. My mother used to get calls from neighbors when I was a kid saying I left my shoes and socks on their porch and I'm outside playing. I've still got all my toes. I've played in softball tournaments on frozen lakes. If you haven't lived and enjoyed winters in a really cold climate, you will never understand that it isn't dangerous if you're prepared. It is true that if you let your kid run outside at night naked (and why you would allow that, I can't understand), he might die. But that could happen anywhere regardless of the temperature. And I have seen people get heat stroke in Austin even though they were drinking plenty of water. Personally, I find heat to be more of a health hazard than cold. They make wonderful products to wear in extreme cold temperatures, but I haven't seen anything comparable for really hot temperatures (hats with fans don't match up to goretex).

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I've played outside in -79 below wind chill. We played hockey at Bemidji State University for three and a half hours. No frostbite, no deaths. My mother used to get calls from neighbors when I was a kid saying I left my shoes and socks on their porch and I'm outside playing. I've still got all my toes. I've played in softball tournaments on frozen lakes. If you haven't lived and enjoyed winters in a really cold climate, you will never understand that it isn't dangerous if you're prepared. It is true that if you let your kid run outside at night naked (and why you would allow that, I can't understand), he might die. But that could happen anywhere regardless of the temperature. And I have seen people get heat stroke in Austin even though they were drinking plenty of water. Personally, I find heat to be more of a health hazard than cold. They make wonderful products to wear in extreme cold temperatures, but I haven't seen anything comparable for really hot temperatures (hats with fans don't match up to goretex).
Preparation is key in dealing with the heat as well - hydrate BEFORE, not during, and you're fine. I've caught both ends of a double-dip in 100+ degree heat a number of times, and not had issues. Personally, I think it's all how your body is wired - some people are not set up to handle cold, some not set up to handle heat.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM

[quote=TerryDactyls;23792539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've experienced -28 before and they were warning not to go outside because exposed flesh will get frostbite within 30 seconds.

And I've hiked in 123 degrees at the bottom of the Grand Canyon in mid summer and didn't even get a sunburn as a memento. Why? I lathered up on sunscreen, carried plenty of water but also plenty of salty snacks to replenish salt lost, and I even camped out at night when the temp didn't get lower than 95.

In retrospect, I got frostbite camping out in 20 degree weather in Louisiana once. I had gloves, long johns and everything but I still got frostbite. Sleeping at night I was shivering to the bone. I can't imagine how uncomfortable 0 degrees would be. After that I swore off cold weather camping. I'll stick to warm weather instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin