Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,810,952 times

Advertisements

You see homeless people on street corners because Austin either doesn't have (or doesn't enforce, I don't know which) laws prohibiting them from doing so.

But the unemployment rate in Austin is still quite low, so even if you saw 20 panhandlers on 20 street corners, the job market is still pretty strong. You just don't see the homeless as often in other places. Doesn't mean they aren't there.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,239,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman3 View Post
Oh and another thing, if Austin is so great for employment, why are there homeless, unemployed folks soliciting in nearly every major street corner?
From the Feb, 2012 BLS employment stats:

Quote:
The largest over-the-year percentage increase in employment in these large metropolitan areas was posted in Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas (+3.7 percent), followed by Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, Texas (+3.3 percent), and San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif. (+3.1 percent).
Correlation isn't causation. Presence of homeless people doesn't have to mean unemployment. Low enforcement, nice weather, generous population -- all just as valid correlations.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM

709 posts, read 1,394,846 times
Quote:
Oh and another thing, if Austin is so great for employment, why are there homeless, unemployed folks soliciting in nearly every major street corner?
What does unemployment have to do with homelessness?

You see homeless problems because Texas has many large military bases and large numbers of vets, as well as the state failing on any level to want to do anything to help them find some sort of treatment and care to help them off the streets.

The federal government has new programs that have worked wonders, but the state doesn't want tax money wasted on trying to treat people and get them back into society.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Quote:
I didn't think you made it to all of Austin during your trip? So do you really know what every major street corner looks like?

Austin had homeless people on SOME street corners when unemployment was 4%.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM

105 posts, read 126,101 times
Just to clarify, nothing against homeless folks. I'm one of those who stop and give them $5-$10. Just pointing out an observation that some of you have already affirmed. I was just pointing out to those who have not been to Austin who may be thinking that there is no such thing there.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,912,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Don't know what you're driving or how ; but our full-coverage, high limit insurance on $95K worth of vehicles(one convertible, one CUV) is less than $1300 total. Both our auto and homeowners' insurance went down when we moved to Austin from just north of Atlanta(AND the vehicles are more expensive AND the house is worth $100K more).
Just stating the facts. And my house here is $100k more and that insurance is also less. Maybe Farmers was ripping me off there, but my insurance and utilities are clearly less now. And we drive just fine.....

Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,239,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
You see homeless problems because Texas has many large military bases and large numbers of vets, as well as the state failing on any level to want to do anything to help them find some sort of treatment and care to help them off the streets.

The federal government has new programs that have worked wonders, but the state doesn't want tax money wasted on trying to treat people and get them back into society.
Separated service members are provided transportation back to their home of record - almost always where they entered service. The number of bases here has nothing to do with the number of vets here.

Federal veterans benefits are funded 100% by the Feds. State money has nothing to do with it, except for unemployment benefits. Job training, education assistance, disability compensation - 100% federal money. In truth, Texas has some of the most generous veterans benefits of any state - subsidized real estate loans, state funded tax abatements for disabled vets, Hazelwood Act providing tuition free education, state funded veterans nursing homes - all unmatched by the majority of states.

Your version of reality isn't matched by the truth. As a disabled vet, I can state that you almost certainly made that all up.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Quote:
Just to clarify, nothing against homeless folks. I'm one of those who stop and give them $5-$10.
Sorry, but you are one of those contributing to the problem. Your cash immediately gets converted directly into alcohol or dope. That's a simple fact, supported by numerous studies. If people stopped giving them money, they would not be there, period.

There are shelters and other resources to support the homeless, who are primarily addicts or mentally ill. And you saw them at the obvious locations with the highest traffic. Most of the city, you don't see them at all.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 PM

105 posts, read 126,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, but you are one of those contributing to the problem. Your cash immediately gets converted directly into alcohol or dope. That's a simple fact, supported by numerous studies. If people stopped giving them money, they would not be there, period.

There are shelters and other resources to support the homeless, who are primarily addicts or mentally ill. And you saw them at the obvious locations with the highest traffic. Most of the city, you don't see them at all.
Can't argue with you on that one, OpenD. But I figured that if these folks are enduring being outdoors and the stigma that goes with what they are doing I should at least reciprocate. Not a very strong argument and sounds lame but I thats just how I feel. It may be a carryover from being up north in cold country where I still see the same folks in subzero temps. Its just my way of helping out - whether or not...

Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM

5,848 posts, read 11,843,637 times
Quote:
Can't argue with you on that one, OpenD. But I figured that if these folks are enduring being outdoors and the stigma that goes with what they are doing I should at least reciprocate. Not a very strong argument and sounds lame but I thats just how I feel. It may be a carryover from being up north in cold country where I still see the same folks in subzero temps. Its just my way of helping out - whether or not...
I used to feel sorry for folks on the street corners and then I volunteered with Salvation Army and learned a lot about resources that are available to the homeless. The fact is, many of the panhandlers are there by choice. They have access to social services, but many of them choose not to avail themsleves of those services.

There are also several groups in Austin that work to provide basic services like meals and clothing to the chronically homeless.

So, the point being, don't feel bad for them. If you want to donate, send your money to Salvation Army, Caritas, or Mobile Loaves and Fishes and you'll get a tax deduction too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin