Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,541 times

Advertisements

AKA the Willow and Holly Street neighborhoods - you are within walking distance of the Town/Ladybird Lake Hike and Bike Trail. Terrain is mostly pretty flat, but some houses have gorgeous views of the river/lake. Lots of mature pecan trees, so very green and leafy in the Spring/Summer. Architecturally, to me, it is one of the more interesting neighborhoods in the city. Some grand old Victorians on Cesar Chavez, mostly 1920s-140s small bungalows with a fair amount of Dwell magazine type modernist infill houses. Lots are mostly small, so reasonable density. West of Chicon, it is almost completely gentrified. You would be just south of the current center of Austin cool/hipsterdom in the east 6th/7th and 11th Street corridors east of 35, so depending on where in the neighborhood you were, you could be in walking distance, definitely biking distance to dozens of bars, restaurants, live music venues etc, and very close to downtown too. South of Cesar Chavez, it is quieter and more residential. I would live there very happily. Once the Holly Street power plant is removed (it has been shut down for years), it could become the next Clarksville in a hurry. Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 01:09 AM

160 posts, read 365,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Hold up. What do you mean when you say that? What I think is even more noticable are the other posters that did not bat an eye when you said it. You need to know that there are hispanics and blacks who post on this forum and rationales like the one you posted are insulting and an example of "unconscious" racism.

Whether you realize it or not, you are equating "good" and "bad" neighborhoods based on its ratio of whites as the majority. (You would never say that to a person of color. Wouldn't even cross your mind.) That's not a true comparison, and never has been.

It's got to stop.
You know it's possible for a neighborhood to be considered unsafe, poor, and predominately Latino, right? Mix in a little CNN and Fox News with your MSNBC.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
You know it's possible for a neighborhood to be considered unsafe, poor, and predominately Latino, right? Mix in a little CNN and Fox News with your MSNBC.
Yes, I know, but that's not what he meant.

I'm not getting into what the "meaning of is is" (aka former President Bill Clinton), that's what Fox News is trying to do with the Trayvon Martin case in blind defense of gun rights. Now, I say this to play your game and to illustrate my point, the previous sentence I wrote has nothing to do with the subject at hand, as your sentence regarding CNN and Fox News and MSNBC. I think the poster who wrote the offensive description knew what I meant because he said it. I simply called him out on it.

And, to further clarify, I know exactly what you're trying to do: the conservative tactic of justifying racism as being a "he said/ she said" conversation, or another option on the internet, doesn't work with most people in the 21st Century. And, I doubt it will work on this thread.

Now, let's focus on answering the OP's question...

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 04-01-2012 at 01:44 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times
I bought and have lived in this neighborhood for the past 2.5 years.

I like the fact that this area was developed in the first decade of the last century when autos were uncommon and folks got around by foot, pedal or transit since that's my preference. I love some of the old homes with their big porches and hipped roofs though the restored versions of these are in great contrast to the neglected shacks. I like the alleyways and think the dwellings facing them are a great use of space. I like the old trees and the soil is pretty good.

When it comes to people the are the older stalwarts and then those of an income bracket a bit higher. For the most part everyone gets along but I bet as the balance goes from the 50/50 now to say 70/30 in 10-15 years the expectations of the new residents will change, i.e. they will probably less tolerant of things that were previously greeted with a blind eye. Still I think it will be a great thing when people actually keep their dogs in their yards or people care a little bit about trash and litter. Now that middle/upper income families are moving in there will be a renewed emphasis on safety. Yes, everyone cares about safety but some people have more time and/or inclination to take action. The hipsters are here and they mostly rent. Some of the long time residents have made extensive improvements to their homes and stand out compared to some of the modern architecture.

As a bit of perspective I do know one fella here, a disabled WW2 vet who was here while the area was going from predominantly Caucasian to predominanly Latino. He sits on his front porch with his American flag at full mast watching all the passers by.

From my understanding the area below C. Chavez is supposed to stay residential, single family for the most part.

Oh and I do park on the street intentionally to avoid bird droppings and also to slow down the traffic on my street.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
In 1960 when we lived just southeast of Riverside & I-35, my Mom's ironing lady (a barefoot, snuff-dippin' & spittin' caucasian) sold her clapboard cottage (shack, really) and its almost one acre wooded lot at the corner of Elmhurst & Summit & I-35 to a developer who built an apartment building on it.

She used the proceeds to buy a small, neat 3-1 "ranch" on Holly, which was at that time a mix of white & latino. It was similar to Crestview but somewhat older - mostly pre-war.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Woah!

I'm in that neighborhood everyday!! It was the OP who wanted to know if it was "good" which is why I put it in quotes. I guess I should have put an eye-rolling icon in too because that was what I was doing, rolling my eyes at people who use the coded phrase "good" when asking about a neighborhood. I know exactly what good is code for which is why I said that maybe it would meet her requirement someday (once gentrifying has done its dirty work). Guess I should have brought the big guns. Fiya, of all the posters on CD, we probably agree more often than not, sorry I didn't rise to the occasion.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 9,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Woah!

I'm in that neighborhood everyday!! It was the OP who wanted to know if it was "good" which is why I put it in quotes. I guess I should have put an eye-rolling icon in too because that was what I was doing, rolling my eyes at people who use the coded phrase "good" when asking about a neighborhood. I know exactly what good is code for which is why I said that maybe it would meet her requirement someday (once gentrifying has done its dirty work). Guess I should have brought the big guns. Fiya, of all the posters on CD, we probably agree more often than not, sorry I didn't rise to the occasion.
I didn't bat an eye at the previous statements because that was not my main topic and I'm not here to get on my soapbox about anything. I asked what area it is and I put "good" in quotes for a reason. I wasn't asking about race, I wasn't asking about income, I wasn't asking any of those questions and you won't see that from me. I mainly meant if it was an area where theft or anything was common in general, as we have already dealt with that and it's just nice to know what you're going into and to adjust accordingly. From my limited experience on this board, people are quick to assume what a person is asking or saying, despite not knowing my own race/income/current location.

I appreciate all of the answers as to the area, what decade the homes came from, the scenery, the walkability, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin