Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 17,409 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I am relocating from the UK to Austin in 3 weeks time and was thinking of getting a motorbike to commute to work on to try and shorten my commute time. I was interested in the SW Austin area but have been told the commute to work will be pretty hideous.

What is the stance on lane filtering on a bike through slow moving / stationery traffic in Austin?

Am I likely to get in trouble with the law or other irrate car drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,646,618 times
In this traffic, it might be pretty dangerous. I think it's illegal to do if traffic is stationary.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,023,306 times
It's not commonly seen here. I wouldn't do it. It may even be a moving violation.

When I was in California on a trip a few years ago, it was so common it sort of freaked me out, all these motorcycles weaving ahead in traffic, driving between the lines of cars. I never see it here in Austin. Maybe others do see it up in NW Austin where most of the Californians live.

Steve

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,409 times
Shame. Im really worried about commute time. Lane filtering is common practice here in the UK. It must be pretty unbearable on a bike stationery in commute traffic in the summer!!!!
Maybe Im worrying too much. Soon find out I guess.
There goes my plan of buying a vespa and having a whippy aerial with a Union Jack on it and being the eccentric Englishman.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:05 PM

791 posts, read 2,219,540 times
I think the danger actually lies in the popularity tobacco chewing among nervous drivers...

Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,023,306 times
Quote:
There goes my plan of buying a vespa and having a whippy aerial with a Union Jack on it and being the eccentric Englishman.
Maybe with a getup like that, people won't get mad and honk, they'll just shake their heads and mutter "keepin' Austin weird". You'd gain further acceptance if you wear a bikini also, ala Leslie.
Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,002,818 times
I've seen it on I-35 often back when I used to have drive it. Also, it happens on Mopac after 11pm or so when all the ricers are racing. Nothing is more disturbing than a bike going between you and the other car at 120MPH.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,646,618 times
I don't know if I'd risk my life on 35 on a vespa. A harley or something maybe, but a vespa, no. I think it's a recent law, because so many bike accidents happened because of it. My husband had the unfortunate experience of seeing one happen on 35 a few years ago.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 PM

101 posts, read 254,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_g View Post
You might get an appreciative honk or two. Since this is Texas and the union jack has some similarities with the confederate flag. They could also mistake your vespa for horse, will get you more brownie points.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 AM

101 posts, read 383,205 times
Having arrived from London some six weeks ago and also having been a Vespa & Lambretta owner in the UK (albeit a few years back), I've been considering buying a scooter here in Austin. I've seen a surprisingly large amount of vintage Vespas around, and at least two shops catering to their needs. Yet to see a Lambretta.

I've yet to get a handle on how two wheelers are treated by other users but, lets face it, it can't be any worse than scooting around London.

A couple of other points to consider. Other than I35 (which is horrible a lot of the time), the traffic here is fine if you are at all used to either London, the M25, or the motorways around Brum & Manchester during rush hour. The big difference is that while the major arterial routes (Mopac & I35) get busy during the rush, other important routes (Lamar springs to mind) run well. In London during the rush it seems that every single road gets jammed, providing no quick routes to anywhere. I drive to Downtown Austin from about four miles out (in South Austin) in 15 - 20 minutes during the morning rush.

You can get a permit to ride without a helmet if that floats your boat (not for me). And if you have some luggage you could take a leaf out of the book of the guy I saw riding a Goldwing towing a trailer with another motorbike on it! Not sure if that was legal but it was certainly amusing to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: