Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times

Advertisements

We have a very large dying cottonwood that sits within the city easement by the front curb. I have called 311 to see if someone from the city can at least remove the dying branches that go over the street - no one ever came out though they said they would. Any thoughts on who a tree in the easement belongs to - the homeowner or the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
I believe it is up to the homeowner to maintain the tree. Seems I read of a 14' height clearance requirement at the curb and I'm pretty sure the homeowners in our area are the ones footing the bill for maintenance. If you're speaking of the typical ROW set-back that usually includes the sidewalk and the area from the street to the first cut in the driveway as the location of the tree, I think it's yours. If there is a separate 'island' or similar situation, maybe the city is on the hook.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
You don't own the property if it's between the sidewalk and the street, but you have agreed to maintain the area. You can call 311 again to see if they'll do something, or ask for someone higher up, otherwise, you'll need to remove it at your expense.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM

25 posts, read 67,779 times
Be care, since you say it’s on the city easement it might be classified as a tree on public property. When those are removed, it’s usually required that a tree or trees equaling the diameter of the tree you just took down be planted (can be planted somewhere else). i.e. You take a 20’ diameter tree down, you have to plant 4 5’ inch diameter trees or 2 10’ diameter trees, etc….
Try calling the Planning and Development Review Department; they seem to be the ones in charge of trees in Austin. They have a video talking about Tree review process on their homepage.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 PM

37 posts, read 134,634 times
Probably the homeowner unfortunately. I had someone out to look at a tree behind my house a couple of weeks ago. We don't have a backyard, just an elevated patio over the greenbelt. There is a tree next to the water that is dead with the branches over the house, and it would fall on my house if it goes. It's already dropping large branches when it rains. The city came after I called 3-1-1 (took a few days). They said the tree is the responsibility of the homeowner even though it's basically in the greenbelt, which the city is responsible for. They said they would only deal with it if it fell and blocked water, creating a danger of flooding.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
I am worried about liability if one of the large branches falls on someone...wondering who would be held responsible in that instance?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
I am worried about liability if one of the large branches falls on someone...wondering who would be held responsible in that instance?
Quite possibly you. Many years ago, there was a story from somewhere up north, where an icy sidewalk caused someone to fall, and the homeowner was held responsible. A similar case I vaguely remember seemed to also relate to an uneven sidewalk contributing to an injury, and the homeowner being found liable.

In short, I think (emphasis on 'think') that the homeowner is responsible for the ROW.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You don't own the property if it's between the sidewalk and the street, but you have agreed to maintain the area. You can call 311 again to see if they'll do something, or ask for someone higher up, otherwise, you'll need to remove it at your expense.
Are you sure? Just because there is an easement, does not mean it is not yours. Granted you do not enjoy exclusive use of it, but if you check your plat map and deed, it pretty clearly show it as yours, and you are paying taxes on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin