Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Eh, check the last 20 years and tell me if there were (or weren't) periods of time when more crimes were committed north or south of the river. What is the proportion of population in the COA that is north (or south) of the river?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You are so far off base in your "interpretation" of data that it's totally pointless to discuss this with you.
Exactly. Two random events occur at a random interval from each other, and a random distance from each other, and from time to time (randomly) they will occur close together in time and place.

You cannot derive a pattern from two random events... unless of course, you are on a TV crime show.

Drop it. There's no cheese at the end of this tunnel.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM

251 posts, read 1,066,164 times
As I'm looking at the possibility of moving to Austin very soon, I have some questions...

Quote:
Random occurrences and unrelated, most likely. The fact that they were both 'north' (although 51s/183 is not what I consider 'north') is coincidence.
Does anyone have an address of this WalMart?
Is this a "bad part" of Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suit-n-tie white guy View Post
Of the first 6 homicides of 2012 - 5 happened north of the river. real coincidence. This latest shooting brougth out the locals in large crowds wihcih starting throwing rocks at the cops- who ended up putting on the riot gear. austin aignt all bad jsut the north side - yikes!
Is this a typical Austin response? or..
Is this a typical response for that part of Austin?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,567 times
The only thing typical of anything suit-n-tie white guy says is that he's typically in possession of more hyperbole than facts. Though usually the hyperbole has more to do with real estate than crime.

Austin's "North Side" is a huge area and some of the nicest parts of town are north of the river. You would need to look at individual stats by neighborhood to get a better picture. Tarrytown is probably the richest part of the downtown area and I doubt they have much crime, and then you can go further North into the Great Hills/Cat Mountain "close-in" burbs and also not worry about it. The more "urban" neighborhoods are more convenient but also more expensive and some of them have crime problems, but they're really all over the map...there are wonderful neighborhoods in town with older houses and quiet streets. You'd need to narrow down your neighborhood for more information.

This kind of thing is unheard of in the burbs, though (SW/NW Austin or a little further North in most of Pflugerville or Round Rock).

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

251 posts, read 1,066,164 times
When you say, "the river", are you talking about the river on the southside of downtown Austin?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
The Wal-Mart is located at/near I-35/Parmer Ln, which I generally would not consider a bad part of Austin at all. It is very near the Samsung plant and located to some older but nice neighborhoods, as well as near Walnut Creek Park. The nearest 'bad' area to here is about 3 or 4 miles away at the Rundberg/Lamar area, so I guess that is not too far, really, but in general that area is a typical middle class commercial shopping area.

The 51st/183 are is also considered a rough neighborhood, although the area is best classified as east Austin, not North. That one involved a traffic stop and 183 is a major highway, so without knowing more about the incident, I don't even know if the deceased was from Austin, much less that area.

Not sure about your seconds question, but I think I would answer that is not a typical response of any sort .

Quote:
When you say, "the river", are you talking about the river on the southside of downtown Austin?
Yup.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
I have a friend who lives very close to this Wal-Mart, and it is not in a "bad part" of Austin. I imagine that any 24 hour Wal-mart situated alongside a major highway will tend to attract crime in the overnight hours.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
This kind of thing is unheard of in the burbs
Not totally unheard of, but the randomness seems to go down as you go to lower population densities - in Leander or RR it is more likely to be a crime between two acquaintances rather than between strangers.

Quote:
I imagine that any 24 hour Wal-mart situated alongside a major highway will tend to attract crime in the overnight hours.
Isn't there some saying about nothing good happens out in the town between 2 am and 4am?

In any case, while finding a drunk in a WM at 2:30 am is not too surprising, it is a bit surprising that he had a gun (at least to me, maybe my concept of that area is outdated). If I had to guess (and it is purely a guess) I would not be surprised if it wasn't someone leaving that club between I-35 and 1825 just north of there. Was driving down 1825 a year or so ago right as that club let out, and I have never seen so many obviously drunk drivers leaving one place at the same time in my life.....

Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Quote:
as well as near Walnut Creek Park.
Have you been to Walnut Creek recently? I mountain bike there frequently and it's shady in the daytime. Can't imagine how bad at night. The police are constantly doing drug and sex crime busts there.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Have you been to Walnut Creek recently? I mountain bike there frequently and it's shady in the daytime. Can't imagine how bad at night. The police are constantly doing drug and sex crime busts there.
I have not, but I used to bike there a lot. Shame to hear that, though, because it was probably the best 'close in' mountain biking that was not too technical and not too crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin