U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM

28 posts, read 29,893 times
Smile Best dog-friendly restaurants in Austin?

We love taking our dog with us when we go out to eat, but only know a couple of places like Kerbey Lane and Panera...what are the best doggie-friendly places to dine in downtown or North Austin/Round Rock? I would LOVE to find an old-fashioned diner with a pet-patio, but all kinds of foods are good.

Thanks! (By the way, we're vegetarian, so no "Meat-R-Us" BBQ places like Rudy's, please!)
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,641,349 times
I don't know about North Austin and RR specifically but I know Freddie's Place and Magnolia Cafe are. Mozart's too. I saw this list, scroll down the page for restaurants. DogFriendly.com's City Guide: Austin, Texas

I also think I've seen Dog Friendly Restaurants as a list on Yelp so you could enter that into the search box.

Unread 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM

10,199 posts, read 7,044,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay39 View Post
We love taking our dog with us when we go out to eat, but only know a couple of places like Kerbey Lane and Panera...what are the best doggie-friendly places to dine in downtown or North Austin/Round Rock?
Wait, what?

You're talking about places that have outdoor seating, and allow dogs there, is that it?

Because as far as I know, Texas Health regulations prohibit dogs inside any food service establishment, unless they are a bona fide service animal.

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM

508 posts, read 529,573 times
That's why they call them "doggie bags" - you get your food and then leave to go home to your dog.

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM

929 posts, read 927,524 times
We usually go to Third Base in Round Rock, Austin Diner on Jollyville Road, El Patron in Cedar Park, Uncle Billy's Brew and Q (not all meat) on Barton Springs Road, Razzoos in Round Rock. All have patios that are very dog-friendly. There are more, but I just can't think of them right now.

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM

12,196 posts, read 6,544,166 times
I cannot imagine having the 'need' to take my dog with us when we go out to supper and I would prefer not to have someone else's dog around when I'm eating as well.

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:22 AM

929 posts, read 927,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I cannot imagine having the 'need' to take my dog with us when we go out to supper and I would prefer not to have someone else's dog around when I'm eating as well.
I'd MUCH rather have my well-behaved dog (or someone else's) sitting next to me on a patio where I'm enjoying a snack and a drink than a bunch of kids running wild, screaming or crying, or throwing food. I've seen all of the above in Austin recently. Give me a pup any day!

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:25 AM

7,593 posts, read 16,333,759 times
Dog farts wafting in the breeze, scent glands expressing from excitement being around other dogs + human food, dribble that leaks out of neutered dogs to mark territories... all that is harmless stuff that makes dining out much more appetizing and enjoyable. What's wrong with you?

Unread 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM

925 posts, read 931,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I'd MUCH rather have my well-behaved dog (or someone else's) sitting next to me on a patio where I'm enjoying a snack and a drink than a bunch of kids running wild, screaming or crying, or throwing food. I've seen all of the above in Austin recently. Give me a pup any day!
Completely agree. Current favorite dog friendly patio is at Contigo

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM

773 posts, read 478,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I'll have to agree with this. I don't dislike dogs, but I am highly allergic to them. I avoid "dog-friendly" restaurants for that reason. All it takes is one friendly dog giving my arm or leg a lick, and I break out in hives.

I really wish that dog people would take this into consideration before they take their pets to restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin