Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM

68 posts, read 376,407 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this school. I have a job interview there and would love to hear of any experiences that you all have had, if any. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
I remember going there for science inservices years ago. I did know a few people who worked there. From what I heard, it's a good school. Anything in that area of South Austin usually gets low complaints from my teacher friends.

I left AISD mostly for the pay. I got a 12k raise moving to Houston. It's also a very competitive district in terms of people don't like to help or plan with other teachers and it wasn't really encouraged in the schools I worked in. That being said, I did four years in AISD and it sharpened my skills and allowed me to go anywhere I wanted. From what I hear, the south austin schools are usually a lot more collaborative and friendly than the inner north schools (but you know what they say about making gross generalizations). heh.

I think you'll like it if you're friendly, professional and willing to work. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure all South Austin schools can be lumped together. I did my student teaching at Zilker Elementary, an Exemplary school, (South Lamar & Bluebonnet), and I absolutely LOVED it! My cooperating teacher is a friend of the principal at Pleasant Hill and she said that she worries about me at that school because it is very tough. I just don't know what I'm in for. My neighborhood school, Baranoff Elementary, another Exemplary school, is my absolute dream school at the moment...I have applied for 6 positions there, 29 total in AISD, and 3 in Hays. I just don't know how "choosy" I can be with the current job outlook for new teachers these days... And moving isn't an option, as my husband and I are here in Austin, from Lawrence, KS, because he is working on his PhD at UT. ::STRESS::

Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Yes! Generalizations are not a good thing to make, that was just my impression from teacher friends throughout the area. I wouldn't say P-Hill is particularly a rough area, but then again I've worked in some of the "toughest" areas of Austin and they're not anywhere near comparable to the "mildly tough" areas of Houston so I might be used to it.

I worked around the Highland Mall area and that's supposed to be tough. You might not be able to be too choosey as a new teacher to the district, but getting a few years experience will allow you to make contacts at the schools where you want to be and be in a position to transfer at a later date.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
We go to PHE but its the one in Leander ISD and we love it. Let me know if its not the AISD one.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Nope, I've applied at the Pleasant Hill in AISD. I hear there are tons of openings in the northern suburbs, but I live near Manchaca and 1626, basically out of town on the south, so I will only apply way up north as a last resort. I'm not sure how I'd tolerate the drive! :-/

Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM

43 posts, read 100,885 times
Default Pleasant Hill

There are good and bad things about Pleasant Hill. I worked there for 7 years. Lately there seems to be a lot of turn over. I like the Principal as a person, but had some trouble with leadership. It isn't the worst school in Austin! Teachers work hard there! I still know teachers who wanted to stay there after getting offered a position at schools such as Baranoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: