Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,276 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been a stay at home mom for 7 yrs. I have a degree in social work, while I LOVED my work, I don't think I want to return to that field.

It's very important for me to be home for my kids when they get home from school, so ideally it would be weekdays from 9-2pm.

I would consider going back to school. I'm 39 yrs old. Originally I thought I wanted to be a family therapist but I think that would be a lonesome sitting in a room all day, people coming in and out but not interacting with your peers per say.

I'm interested in nutrition but fear the only jobs will be in hospital outpatient plans or a gym.

A few lifetimes ago I worked in a law firm and really enjoyed it. I felt satisfaction in being able to complete tasks and supporting the lawyers.

My mom has always encouraged me to work for the government because of the health benefits and retirement.

Real estate? Massage therapist? I'm just trying to think of everything that would work around my schedule.

Thanks for any ideas!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
Back when I was returning to work some years ago, someone advised that I check with the U-Temps office at UT. They have lots of temporary part-time and full-time positions - mostly admin types of things - but a good way to look for a permanent part-time job at UT if that is of interest.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
I think one thing to consider is what you will do with them in the summer. Even though you don't want to be a therapist anymore, at least you can set your own hours or sublease from someone just two days a week. I have a few friends that do that and they make really good money for working those two days.

I work from home as a CPA and I also teach classes at several gyms. If you are into working out getting a few certifications could land you some work in that field and it's pretty flexible. When summer comes I do the CPA work early in the morning or at night and the gym work is in the day (when I'd be working out anyway) so I can be with the kids.

It's not easy but keep talking to folks who work part-time and see what they do. I am amazed at what some of my friends selling Silpada and Stella and Dot jewelry can make.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,184 times
You might want to give us some details about your education and prior work experience

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,276 times
Thanks so much for the ideas!
I will look into U-Temps, that sounds good.

It's so true about the summers. And when the kids are sick. We were all hit pretty hard this years with allergies and then got sick on top of that. My daughter was out an entire week.
Yes, I can see how being a therapist can be super flexible, something to consider. And I was so surprised that some of them charge $150 per hour and don't take insurance. wow!

Working from home as a CPA and teaching classes at the gym sounds like a great gig. I've thought of that so many times - if I'm at the gym anyway....

I don't know anyone who sells jewelery... I would imagine you would host parties and have to find lots of new customers... I'd be curious how they do it.

tfresca - as I mentioned I have a degree in social work and worked at a law firm. I just didn't mention waitressing because that simply isn't an option anymore =).

Thanks all! I have some research to do now =) Thx!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
You can go work for the schools also, hours work with yours and summers off.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
You could also check part-time opportunities at local nonprofit organizations. They might be more flexible with your schedule:
Nonprofit Jobs

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
With your background, I would also check out working at a preschool or private kindergarten. It's easier to get a job with one of them than a public school district. Many preschools are part time programs and run with the local public school schedules, so summers and holidays off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin