Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,999 times

Advertisements

Meritage builds a good house but they cut corners. The trim around the doors is close with lots of caulk, there were no j-boxes behind the vanity mirrors and the hardy plank on the back of the house turned out to be wood trim on top of the hard board. They would not even spring for the the radiant barrier for the roof decking, or return air in the master bedroom, they also think green board is water proof, which it is not. I am selling one now, its a solid house and I have fixed all the issues but should not have had to re-tile the bathroom and replace the wood on the back of the house where hardy plank should have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Let me bring another opinion into the mix here since it is perceived that KB is the lowest of the low. We have owned a KB home for seven years. Overall, the home itself is about an 8/10. KB, Centex, Pulte, yada yada are all similar and pretty much use the same materials and subcontractors. I know this because I looked at the materials lists for both Pulte and KB. I absolutely do not think DR Horton, Centex, and other similar volume builders are "better". Where KB gets you is the nickel and diming for just about everything. Way too many things are optional. Like the poster above me said, it is a basic home that you have to customize to your own liking. What appealed to us (besides the location - northeast Pflugerville) at the time was the square footage -- it is over 4000 sq ft. We both lived in small spaces for a long time and absolutely wanted a large home. At the time, we couldn't afford more than 250K. A co worker owned a KB home and referred us, and that's how we ended up with one. Builder aside, we are happy with our home, especially with what we've done with it. I guess we could live just about anywhere but this house is just the way we want it now, so here is where it's at.

I am just not a fan of new construction. Period. For 180-200, I'd go buy a nice resale in neighborhoods such as Saxony and Katymead.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,362 times
I just built a home with Grand Haven, and I had a great experience. Our house is very energy efficient. I know they have many different areas with different prices ranges out there. We built a semi-custom house in Rough Hollow, and couldn't be happier.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 AM

54 posts, read 182,679 times
I've been in a newly built Meritage home for 1 year, and our house automatically came with the radiant barrier roof decking, and has a return air in the master bedroom....I had read things on this forum about Meritage prior to choosing a builder, however soon came to realize that you have to do the research and talk to the builders yourself, asking lots of questions. Then you can decide who the best builder for you is.

We've been very happy with Meritage, and our neighbors have as well (so far).

Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,999 times
Radiant barrier roof decking is a requirement for some areas now, where it is not required they charge quite the markup to put it in.
That and 28" wide side walk and stairs to the front porch were just stupid, what would a 1/2 yard more concrete have cost them $30?
I could go on and on.... For thr price range of the OP, buy an existing home, you will get more bang for your buck.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 PM

45 posts, read 143,787 times
The budge I have so far worked out somewhere in the 225000 to 240000 price range. Areas that have my interest are standard pacific in the hills and ridge at poloma lake, grand haven at avalon, and dyer creek/ rowe lane by gahen. I was looking at some meritage homes at the reserve in west creek but I have heard some negative about the builder. Anyone have any information about the plans/builders I have mentioned? Also, anyone know the word on david weekley homes that are coming to the park at blackhawk? What's the price range they will be looking at? I'm interested in home that's well built/not necessarily super customizable. I want something that will last for some time. The plans I have looked at are exactly what I'm looking for more or less. We're looking for something that we can grow into planning on have one or two kids. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Standard Pacific, Weekley and Grand Haven are all good builders. Go visit their models and you can get a feel for their construction quality.

Standard Pacific does seem to nickel and dime on the interior finish - many things that are standard on Weekley/Grand Haven homes are extra on Standard Pacific.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM

70 posts, read 176,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpeterson View Post
standard pacific, weekley and grand haven are all good builders. Go visit their models and you can get a feel for their construction quality.

Standard pacific does seem to nickel and dime on the interior finish - many things that are standard on weekley/grand haven homes are extra on standard pacific.
+1

Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock View Post
The budge I have so far worked out somewhere in the 225000 to 240000 price range. Areas that have my interest are standard pacific in the hills and ridge at poloma lake, grand haven at avalon, and dyer creek/ rowe lane by gahen. I was looking at some meritage homes at the reserve in west creek but I have heard some negative about the builder. Anyone have any information about the plans/builders I have mentioned? Also, anyone know the word on david weekley homes that are coming to the park at blackhawk? What's the price range they will be looking at? I'm interested in home that's well built/not necessarily super customizable. I want something that will last for some time. The plans I have looked at are exactly what I'm looking for more or less. We're looking for something that we can grow into planning on have one or two kids. Thanks for any feedback.
As far as Gehan goes, all you have to do is search the word in these forums and you'll see many posts about their build process in the Austin area.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 PM

308 posts, read 600,464 times
Ryland, Taylor Morrison, Highland, Wilshire, Pacesetter, Castle Rock and Gehan makes a darn fine Casa's!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin