Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Bee Cave is a great, family-oriented suburb of Austin. If you have children, it's really a great place to be. That can be said for many places though.

There are several subdivisions surrounding the town center such as Lake Pointe, The Uplands, Spanish Oaks, Falconhead, Falconhead West, and now the new Ladera Ranch. With the exception of Spanish Oaks and The Uplands where prices start at $800K, houses start from $350K on up to much higher prices. It all depends on how big of a house you're looking for.

Overall, the vibe of Bee Cave is high end/wealthy and lily white with a high quality of living.
My husband and I are semi-planning on buying in Ladera at the end of the year and moving in by spring. We're both newly retired and wondering if we'll be the only ones in that demographic in a deserted development all day long. Also wondering where we might meet folks our age in that area. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr0202 View Post
My husband and I are semi-planning on buying in Ladera at the end of the year and moving in by spring. We're both newly retired and wondering if we'll be the only ones in that demographic in a deserted development all day long. Also wondering where we might meet folks our age in that area. Thoughts?
I live in Falconhead West and it's about 40% empty nesters. More than likely, Ladera is going to follow the same pattern.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM

326 posts, read 685,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr0202 View Post
You won't be the only ones there. I know that Sweetwater is attracting a lot of retirees also so I would assume the same thing will happen with Ladera. Lakeway is still very much a retirement community so that helps. The whole Lake Travis area has a good mixture of age groups, and I think one of the main reasons for the large amount of empty nesters in the area is the close proximity into Austin if you need it but also feeling like you're away from everything - it's the best of both worlds.

Also, with Lakeway right next door to Bee Cave, there's plenty of clubs/organizations to join that provide opportunities to meet people your age there. Welcome to the area!!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM

67 posts, read 131,360 times
somebody died on 71 outside bee cave in another traffic accident tonight. eight others injured. that road is deadly.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2029 View Post
somebody died on 71 outside bee cave in another traffic accident tonight. eight others injured. that road is deadly.
Yes 71 is a mess, but this was a construction site where one has to navigate through construction signs and wood guards that block your site as you try to turn directly out into and onto 71. Difficult to explain but it was an accident waiting to happen. My parents live on Creek Meadow so I make this turn regularly and I am terrified each time. It was only a matter of time.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
The accident was tragic. But it was not in Bee Cave. It was more than five miles west of 620 in a construction zone. News reports say an east bound vehicle stopped on the road and a truck towing a flatbed swerved to avoid hitting the stopped vehicle. Then the truck collided with a west bound vehicle, killing that driver. That construction is widening SH71 in the area that crosses Bee Creek itself.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The accident was tragic. But it was not in Bee Cave. It was more than five miles west of 620 in a construction zone. News reports say an east bound vehicle stopped on the road and a truck towing a flatbed swerved to avoid hitting the stopped vehicle. Then the truck collided with a west bound vehicle, killing that driver. That construction is widening SH71 in the area that crosses Bee Creek itself.
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that. It was in the very edge of Spicewood and not an area one would encounter in Bee Cave.

Any when I stop to turn onto their street no one behind me believes that I actually turning so I worry about getting rear ended every time.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM

67 posts, read 131,360 times
Quote:
somebody died on 71 outside bee cave in another traffic accident tonight.
i know some of you are regulars on here and will probably crucify me but...READ, i didn't say it was in bee cave. if i would have said spicewood, most people would have thought the town of spicewood (which is about 10 miles from the accident - 5 is smaller than 10 so i said OUTSIDE bee cave and not OUTSIDE spicewood). i know all about the construction, nitro, etc, in that area. i had a car do the same thing to me when i was taking a left into nitro a couple months ago (pass me on the other side into incoming traffic). i learned my lesson.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
I turn my blinker on VERY early when turning left into Nitro, and also break a few times so they see the break lights coming on and know I'm serious as many people drive with their blinkers on for no reason. I've never had an issue.

The issue I do have is people leaving Nitro can't read the sign that tells people to go to the left driveway if they want to turn left out of Nitro. Those of us wanting to turn right have to sit and sit waiting for those "notsosmart" people.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
i know some of you are regulars on here and will probably crucify me but...READ, i didn't say it was in bee cave. if i would have said spicewood, most people would have thought the town of spicewood (which is about 10 miles from the accident - 5 is smaller than 10 so i said OUTSIDE bee cave and not OUTSIDE spicewood). i know all about the construction, nitro, etc, in that area. i had a car do the same thing to me when i was taking a left into nitro a couple months ago (pass me on the other side into incoming traffic). i learned my lesson.
You're right. You didn't say Bee Cave. But this thread is about Bee Cave.

SH71 has had more than its share of traffic related fatalities over the years. But significant changes have been made, are still underway, with more scheduled for the next five years. One of the next big steps will be to widen the stretch from Vail Divide further west.

I have been driving SH71 in that area every day since 1998. It is better now than it was. And will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin