Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times

Advertisements

By the bye, some of those crazy 'drive away' leases would be mighty tempting IF I were starting fresh, needed a roadworthy vehicle and wasn't sure what it should be. Really low monthly payments, two or maybe three years, and if you love the vehicle, you buy it at lease-end. It's certainly NOT for everybody, but you don't have to tie up a bunch of cash to drive a nice, new, fully warranted vehicle--IF that fits your lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,158 times
I have a Lexus Sedan, but I rarely drive it. It's a great car, but it sucks down the fuel.

I live in the city, so I walk most everywhere. When I don't, I take public transportation. It's so much cheaper to live in a walkable area!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times
Too bad Austin is the only city in the vicinity with public transportation.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM

156 posts, read 331,155 times
You should probably buy a Prius or a Subaru to fit in. Bonus points for a NPR sticker.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaaries View Post
You should probably buy a Prius or a Subaru to fit in. Bonus points for a NPR sticker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
One thing the thread so far should have well informed you of is that Texans are CRAZY for their big trucks. Even the maybe 80% who have never even touched a bale of hay in their life.
Austin seems to be torn between the worlds of the gas guzzling, powerful pick-up and the highly efficient, less powerful small car. Personally, I will go with the small car. I will sacrifice the "king of the road" feeling for the savings at the pump and the feeling that I am doing the right thing. Maybe it would be different if I owned a ranch or even a couple of horses. Many years ago, I owned a larger car for a few years. I hated hauling all that space along with me - and paying for it at the pump.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM

130 posts, read 253,353 times
Main car is a Prius.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 AM

327 posts, read 766,778 times
2001 honda civic :T

Old 04-24-2012, 07:27 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Since Austin is about "as Texas as it gets", this spills over into the vehicle purchases that people make. People love to buy big, gas guzzling vehicles because they know that Texas is big. This is the same reason why everyone drives smart cars in Rhode Island

Metro Austin has among the highest per capita ownership of truck based vehicles of any major metropolitian area in the nation. (Metro Houston and SA are comparable) That would include full size trucks, and SUV's. You tend to see more cars once you get closer into central Austin, as well as hybrids too. Prius' also dot the landscape further into central Austin.

Just buy yourself a Suburban or Tahoe (two of the favorites around here) and you'll fit in just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Just curious as we will be buying a car after not having one in New York City and moving in two months to Austin. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Since Austin is about "as Texas as it gets", this spills over into the vehicle purchases that people make. People love to buy big, gas guzzling vehicles because they know that Texas is big. This is the same reason why everyone drives smart cars in Rhode Island

Metro Austin has among the highest per capita ownership of truck based vehicles of any major metropolitian area in the nation. (Metro Houston and SA are comparable) That would include full size trucks, and SUV's. You tend to see more cars once you get closer into central Austin, as well as hybrids too. Prius' also dot the landscape further into central Austin.

Just buy yourself a Suburban or Tahoe (two of the favorites around here) and you'll fit in just fine
Facts or link please on your repeated ad nauseum per capita statement about trucks etc. I don't believe it at all.

You don't get to use your "it's an opinion' excuse since you are citing a statistic. If you have the data and source, post it or quit saying it.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
We all know he makes up his statistics and never links to sources. Just put his username on ignore and you will be so much happier! Although, you still see his comments in quoted replies unfortunately. (P.S., Eepstein I'm still waiting for your source on when the city of Austin was forcing people to not have Christmas lights on their houses because rich people didn't like the traffic).

As for the original discussion, if you're going to be spending any time in and around downtown, I think you'd be happier with a smaller car. They are easier to park, easier to maneuver, and get better gas mileage. If you live in the suburbs it probably doesn't matter as much, although then you will be driving a lot more so the mileage may be important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin