Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
At ABIA, I can get from my front door to the plane in under an hour - just about any time of day or any time of year. That's with a 30 min drive and parking in the long term lot.
Exactly! Be glad that Austin even has a major airport. There are people who have to drive a couple of hours from other cities just to get to ABIA. Yes, more direct flights would be nice, but I'm not about to move to Houston so I can spend two hours just getting to Intercontinental. I'll take the layover any day over that madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. If you would like to HYPE Austin's airport for whatever reason, you can do so. If you like the horrible food there, then that is your choice. I am surprised that you fly all over to modern, efficient airports and don't realize how flawed Austin airport is. From the inefficent security lines, to the rude employees, to the country music, to the live music no namers, and the lack of flights overall, it's just not what I would call a "good airport". But to each his own. I did check, and Austin airport ranks just below Hobby and slightly above San Antonio (which is odd based on all the business/tourism conventions in SA) Dallas Love ranked about where Austin is.

I have flown out of ALL the airports you mentioned except Fort Myers. I have not come across ANY of these issues. SFO and SEA really suck for security lines, that is for sure.

Quote:
As a very frequent traveler, I disagree with your assessment here. You obviously have never flown out of:
San Diego (1+ hour baggage lines, security lines and exactly one "restaurant") Albuquerque (Unbelievable lines, with no bypass for frequent fliers, horrible gate areas)
Fort Myers (same as ABQ)
Orlando (lines and brainless people everywhere, checked baggae takes 45 minutes to get off the plane)
Oakland (unreal security lines and totally inefficient setup, no food anywhere)
Orange County (see Oakland, and add the Disney crowd from Orlando in the summer)

That's just the ones I've hit this month that don't compare to Austin. The food alone at AUS wins, plus a large open bar area to sit and people watch without 100 people hanging over your shoulder!

This right here should be used as a rebuttal every time you say anything, ever - this has zero factual basis and is randomly pulled out of your rear, like every other "ranking" or statistic you use. AUS is right there with Hobby as the 3rd busiest, behind DFW and IAH, both pushing right around 4.3 million passengers annually.

San Jose is 2X per day, there's also Oakland as well (2X per day) and Seattle is still serviced NS by Alaska. In the past two months, NS service has been announced for a number of cities, including DC, Cancun and JFK. As for your KC citation, air traffic in/out of KC is down 20% in the past 4 years, likely unprofitable for all airlines - not surprised it got cut.

Go ahead! Pay more for your flight, spend 7 hours driving there and back to avoid *gasp* a connection in Dallas? Aren't you always railing against all the roads and driving in TX? Maybe it's your approach?

One of 14 airports WORLDWIDE to receive the ACI Roll of Excellence, consistently ranked by air travel associations like ACI in the top 10 in the nation (#4 last year)

Bottom line, you need to check your hate and resentment for your own choices that have led you to a place that you're obviously not happy in - facts, real facts, don't agree with what you're seeing.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM

285 posts, read 568,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. If you would like to HYPE Austin's airport for whatever reason, you can do so. If you like the horrible food there, then that is your choice. I am surprised that you fly all over to modern, efficient airports and don't realize how flawed Austin airport is. From the inefficent security lines, to the rude employees, to the country music, to the live music no namers, and the lack of flights overall, it's just not what I would call a "good airport". But to each his own.
I have traveled a lot and I personally think Austin's airport is above average. It's modern, roomy, and my experience with the security lines has always been good especially compared to other airports. The music, while not my taste, doesn't bother me. I do, however, agree with you about the quality of food and especially the extremely slow service. I appreciate the desire to provide local chains in the airport but I wish it didn't come at the exclusion of some national chains like Starbucks for example.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
I do, however, agree with you about the quality of food and especially the extremely slow service. I appreciate the desire to provide local chains in the airport but I wish it didn't come at the exclusion of some national chains like Starbucks for example.
I have to agree with you about the food. I too give the airport head pats for using local vendors. That's truly admirable. But the problem is, I think that these local places are very hard to translate into an airport setting, where ease and timeliness of service is more important than sampling the local fare. A lot of the food doesn't particularly taste fresh to me, either. I'm not a rabid fan of chain restaurants, but you can be assured that the food tastes the same no matter where you go.

Ditto on the music too. It blows.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently.
Truer words were never spoken.

Quote:
If you like the horrible food there, then that is your choice.
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. Many of us enjoy the food there, so maybe "horrible" is just your interpretation? Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the food there seems fine, owing to its obvious popularity, but it's not to your taste?

Quote:
I am surprised that you fly all over to modern, efficient airports and don't realize how flawed Austin airport is.
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. As others have noted, ABIA has won many awards and keeps getting ranked highly by various travel organizations. And a lot of people here like it. I wonder what they see that you don't?

Quote:
From the inefficent security lines,
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. I'm still astonishing friends with my story about oversleeping one morning due to [Fifth Amendment] reasons, and rolling out the door with only 45 minutes to make a flight, and MAKING IT! Not that I count on that, but given my normal discipline to get to the airport early, wherever the airport might be, and given how fast ABIA lines normally move, I consistently wind up with more free time on my hands in the Austin airport than anyplace else on my usual circuit. I mean "normal departure" free time, not "flight delayed" free time. Kailua-Kona runs a close second, but I hate climbing those stairs at the end.

Quote:
to the rude employees,
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. I've never been treated rudely at ABIA by anyone. Of course, I'm friendly to others and open and polite, and I do find that people often get back what they project, so YMMV.

Quote:
to the country music,
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. Why wouldn't somebody like the Austin music track that's playing in the Austin airport? I mean, good grief, if you can't stand country music you're really in the wrong state. And besides, you can go to 100 other airports and hear exactly the same soundtrack, so why not listen to something different, like Alejandro Escovedo, while you're enjoying your breakfast tacos in Austin?

Quote:
to the live music no namers,
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. I can't tell you the number of times I've stopped for a quick bite from Salt Lick and a Shiner while the bags get unloaded, and have gotten totally sucked in to the live music act on the little stage next to the egress. I mean, come on! How many airports even HAVE live music? Other than that old guy playing saxophone for tips in the echoing hallways at SFO, I mean.

Quote:
and the lack of flights overall,
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. I never have any problem getting into Austin, and I never have any problem getting out.

Quote:
it's just not what I would call a "good airport".
Just goes to show you that people can interpret things differently. As in so many other things here, the majority opinion seems to be leaning a different way.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Internationally recognized? Yes, I believe that. I dont think Austin is internationally recognzied for anything except being the capitol of Texas (maybe not even that)
Go argue with these guys. I've decided to follow one of of my father's favorites - don't argue with a fool- people might not be able to tell you apart.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
I know this thread has totally taken a left turn....
Yeah, it turned around and got totally lost.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Yeah, it turned around and got totally lost.
How so? It started off with about cranky guy's rant about how mediocre Austin is, and morphed into another cranky guy's rant about how mediocre Austin is, and the main difference I see is that Corcoran is a much better writer.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
This author seems to think that Austin is full of the rejects of other cities (NYC, LA, SF) that couldn't make it there and seem to do well here. I always thought of it as people that got fed up with the rat race in those cities and came here to really enjoy life.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This author seems to think that Austin is full of the rejects of other cities (NYC, LA, SF) that couldn't make it there and seem to do well here. I always thought of it as people that got fed up with the rat race in those cities and came here to really enjoy life.
...and buy a pickup truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin