U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM

12,782 posts, read 10,829,041 times

Advertisements

Get the daily commute as short as possible. I have a friend who attempted what you suggested, and lasted less than a year. It's a brutal and expensive way to spend your time. Besides, San Marcos area is very pretty, and less expensive than Austin. Lots of San Marcos residents WISH they could work there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM

24 posts, read 19,216 times
Thank you for the reply. My DD is very young and I am looking for a place to rent in the begining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You want something in South Austin. Are you looking to rent or buy? Are you looking for a school for your kids? Anything else you can tell us? We can give you better information if we know what you are looking for.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Thank you for the reply. My DH would be working from home all the time to his company (in NY) I wanted to stay in Austin because I want him to meet new people and I wanted my DD to have some sort of company (if we rent a place in apartments) she can have some neighbors kids she can play with after we get to know our neighbors. (Greedy right lol

I heard that there is a shuttle that takes everyday from Austin to san marcos. I just wanted to live near families rather than with students lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Bit of a misnomer here... IH-35 accounted for 12 fatal accidents in Travis and Hays counties combined. You were 4 times more likely to be in a fatal accident on a city street or FM/RR road.

To the OP.

Pretty straight commute that would be against the regular flow of traffic, so highway speeds the whole time. A spot in south Austin would leave you an easy 20-30 minute commute (which is better than a 20-30 minute commute through traffic, IMO). This would leave you within striking distance of the bigger downtown/entertainment/city stuff that Austin can provide.

To echo earlier questions, what are you looking for in your living situation? That'll help narrow it down.

Congrats on the job!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I will start looking for places in san Marcos.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM

487 posts, read 798,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinglily View Post
Thank you for the reply. My DH would be working from home all the time to his company (in NY) I wanted to stay in Austin because I want him to meet new people and I wanted my DD to have some sort of company (if we rent a place in apartments) she can have some neighbors kids she can play with after we get to know our neighbors. (Greedy right lol

I heard that there is a shuttle that takes everyday from Austin to san marcos. I just wanted to live near families rather than with students lol
There is a daily shuttle bus that goes back and forth from Austin to Texas State. It's the Bobcat Tram. I know that that it goes from Southpark Meadows (in the south of the city) and may make other stops in Austin, as well. Might be worth checking out once you get here. Good luck and have fun. My wife works at Texas State and carpools daily from right behind Southpark Meadows, and it takes her 20 minutes dooor-to-door (except for yesterday, when there was a really bad accident on 35). So it's an easy commute for her. I also agree with others that San Marcos is a really great town - love the town square. So once you get acclimated to the general area, you might want to think about ending up there.

Edit: Here's the specific Austin to Texas State shuttle bus info.

Last edited by Paulmmm; 05-01-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Thank you Paul for all the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
There is a daily shuttle bus that goes back and forth from Austin to Texas State. It's the Bobcat Tram. I know that that it goes from Southpark Meadows (in the south of the city) and may make other stops in Austin, as well. Might be worth checking out once you get here. Good luck and have fun. My wife works at Texas State and carpools daily from right behind Southpark Meadows, and it takes her 20 minutes dooor-to-door (except for yesterday, when there was a really bad accident on 35). So it's an easy commute for her. I also agree with others that San Marcos is a really great town - love the town square. So once you get acclimated to the general area, you might want to think about ending up there.

Edit: Here's the specific Austin to Texas State shuttle bus info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin