Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times

Advertisements

i just checked if grande was available in my area (area code 78758) and it is not because at&t won't allow it. anyone who is willing please call grande and request their service area to be broadened. lets give em the guts to stand up to big cable.. grandes number:
512-878-4600
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:43 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
I'm moving back to Austin in the zip code area 78756 this June and am bumping up this thread because I will have to find my own internet provider in my new apartment there.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
First, you need to find out who services your address. Almost certainly is TWC, probably is AT&T (DSL), might be AT&T U-verse. Might be Grande, and if you've hit the jackpot, might be Google Fiber.

Find out who you can get, and pretty certain there will be adequate opinions here on whomever you have to choose from.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:32 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Google Fiber is what I want for my jackpot. I will have to call the new apartment and ask them.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:50 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
At my shop I had TW "Business Class." "Business Class" means you pay way more for a given speed, but the support is good and we never had outages. When I tried to negotiate renewal, they wanted a lot of money for mediocre speed that did not quite support my security cameras and remote access well. Worse, there was a 100% early termination fee on a 2 year contract. So I went to U-Verse. No early termination and decent speed for the money but there is a problem with the gateway they have never been able to solve and it drops my router and sometimes my cameras frequently -- big pain in the butt. Most of their tech support have been worse than clueless.

Signed up for Google Fiber and can't wait!

Don in Austin

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

77 posts, read 77,687 times
I'd love google fiber and have signed up for when they come to my area. However, do encourage your neighbors to sign up too because I'm pretty sure they'll wait until they have sufficient demand to go to your area.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/austin/how/

Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Google Fiber is what I want for my jackpot. I will have to call the new apartment and ask them.
I don't think they are in the area yet. I'm signed up but so far not terribly impressed with Google Fiber, it is a slow, slow process. First the waiting list, then your area opens up for sign up, then there is a 3-6 month sign up period, then that ends, and you are told it will be another 6 months or so before installation starts and then they don't guarantee you any start date for service! I am guessing January at the earliest.

We gave up waiting for Fiber and switched from TWC to ATT Uverse and have been very happy, I signed a year long contract with ATT and it probably will end before Fiber even starts in my area! (And I am in one of the very first "fiberhoods.") We may actually pay for Fiber installation so that is a selling point for the house some day but actually switch back to ATT and just get their giga service. And Google's privacy policy is pretty jaw-dropping.

Researching the experience of folks in Kansas City hasn't been very reassuring.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM

92 posts, read 113,519 times
I agree. We signed up for Google Fiber where we were renting in South Austin nearly six months ago & the apt complex still has zero installs. All anyone in our old building has to show for signups is the free swag - water bottles & tee shirts with the Google Fiber logo. Zero insight on start dates for service...

After we bought our home I spoke to a 360 Connect rep who told me that Google did not anticipate the fact that AT&T and Time Warner already had fiber lines underground in Austin bc the service wasn't widely adopted by customers. Essentially GF has forced AT&T GigaPower & TWC Ultimate to step up their game on the pricing front

Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM

81 posts, read 221,771 times
I have TWC Extreme, plus Grande 1G service for our garage apartment. The TWC internet has been fine but the 1G Grande is obviously a lot faster and I think a better value, especially if you pair it with a high-quality wifi router.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
Uverse high speed down in our part of the neighborhood for last 5 days and att doesn't seem to know how to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: