Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM

112 posts, read 280,017 times

Advertisements

Here's my story: I recently learned that my favorite band Dream Theater will play in San Antonio on June 6th. So off to ticketbastard.com I went, paid some $23 in fees (rip-off #1) for a $55 ticket and was happy with my purchase.

The following day I accidentally learned they are supposed to play in Austin as well, on June 7th. Somehow that date didn't show up on ticketbastard or the band's main concert calendar, but only in a secondary announcement.

So I thought I'd save myself about $40 in gas money and try to cancel my San Antonio ticket. Luckily, I was able to, but I forfeited the $23 in fees, they only returned the actual cost of the ticket (rip-off #2). I still thought I came ahead, considering the savings in gas.

So I proceeded to search for a ticket for the Austin concert, which proved to be a challenge... If I bing () "moody theater" I get Moody Theater Tickets | Moody Theater Austin, so I checked it out and noticed the tickets were from $118 to $534 (???) Now I love this band to death, but $534 for thr front row seats??? Last year I had a meet and greet package for $375, got to talk to all of them, took pictures, got a t-shirt, laminated card, poster, the works...

Anyway, I'm a true fan, all about supporting my band, so I proceed with the selection of a $180 ticket. I enter my info and credit card, click next and see a service fee of $33 plus a shipping fee of $15 This makes look ticketmaster like a charity!!! So I canceled, did not go through with my transaction.

But then I actually found the ACL site: ACL Live : Dream Theater which shows the tickets going on sale on Friday May 4th at 10 AM for prices between $39 and $59, which is what I'm used to.

So here is my question: WTF??? Is this legal? This is rip-off beyond belief, selling $39 tickets for $118. The fees alone ($33 + $15) are more than the advertised price of the ticket.

Are these ticket sites scams and I had no idea? moodytheatertickets.net looks legit... but I can't believe they are really selling those tickets for those prices...

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
From their web page:

"Copyright 1996-2012 TicketNetwork Inc. All rights reserved. TicketNetwork and the swirl logo are Registered Trademarks of Ticket Software LLC.
As an online ticket marketplace, not a venue or box office, TicketNetwork.com was ranked by Inc. 500 as the 27th fastest growing company in the US."

In other words, they speculate on tickets, selling them now at high prices in anticipation of being able to buy them later for lower prices.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM

112 posts, read 280,017 times
Ticketmaster.com are not a venue or box office either, but at least they sell the tickets at face value and just add their "service fees"... these other sites are adding a 300% markup, plus outrageous fees.

Isn't ticket scalping illegal?

Wikipedia has some interesting info on this:
Ticket resale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinator View Post
Isn't ticket scalping illegal?
In some places it's illegal, but in Texas it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin