U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM

792 posts, read 625,134 times
Default Ants - little tiny ones

We are leasing a house out in the hill country. We come from a relatively bug free environment and are clueless when it comes to bug control.

Our house is clean, there is no food laying around and this morning under the sink I found a bunch of tiny ants running around.

Then this afternoon they were all over the counters. I cannot even figure out where they are coming from.

Ideas on how to get rid of them? How to keep them gone?

Also, when one leases a house, is it customary for the property owner to spray for bugs periodically or is that done by the tenant? It is not addressed in my lease agreement and since we have not lived in bug country it did not occur to us to inquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 PM

63 posts, read 48,395 times
Could they perhaps be from your sink drains?

The best thing I found for ants is Terro liquid. You put a little dot of the liquid on a piece of cardboard and they will swarm out and eat it, and be gone pretty much the next day.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM

41 posts, read 54,805 times
people call them "sugar ants"....they are pesky little buggers. We are granola-crunching tree-huggers and also have pets, so I didn't use chemicals. A couple weeks of obsessive vigilance (wash every dish immediately, wipe counters several times a day with bleach or vinegar solution, pick up every crumb, don't leave pet food lying around, dry out the sink at night) has been helpful in my experience. Some people claim that sprinkling cinnamon or cloves will repel them, though I've never tried it. If you go the chemical route, I think the boric acid products are supposed to be effective but less toxic to the environment generally.

As for using an exterminator - we rent a house and our landlord doesn't cover it (though, in his own self-interest, he should). We needed one once, and maybe I could have argued the point but I just wanted the crawlies gone, so I paid for it.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

498 posts, read 540,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlittle View Post
The best thing I found for ants is Terro liquid. You put a little dot of the liquid on a piece of cardboard and they will swarm out and eat it, and be gone pretty much the next day.
I agree, Terro works great, although it does look pretty scary the first day when all the ants show up to slurp it up!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM

4,337 posts, read 2,824,641 times
I have been having problems with these too, since around Sping started. Do not want to spray toxic stuff. They are around the sinks, on the counters, even in the pantry. The house is clean. I've had problems with them in the past but never this bad.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 PM

792 posts, read 625,134 times
Can Terro be bought at Home Depot?

I sprayed everything including the ants with white vinegar and will continue to do so until I get some of this wonder Kool-aide

The sink drains? They will come out of the sink?????
Ohhh my

My hubs is not a fan of chemicals but ants, roaches etc are just not something I am willing to live with in my home. We no longer have small children so I am not as concerned about the chemicals as I was when we had crawlers etc.

Thanks for the hints

Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,218,671 times
We are having the exact same problem all of a sudden. I'll check out Terro. Thanks for posting this!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,633,565 times
Yes, i have issues with these little things as well, and it's not just effecting those living in the hillbilly country. Would regular bug spray work for these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
We are leasing a house out in the hill country. We come from a relatively bug free environment and are clueless when it comes to bug control.

Our house is clean, there is no food laying around and this morning under the sink I found a bunch of tiny ants running around.

Then this afternoon they were all over the counters. I cannot even figure out where they are coming from.

Ideas on how to get rid of them? How to keep them gone?

Also, when one leases a house, is it customary for the property owner to spray for bugs periodically or is that done by the tenant? It is not addressed in my lease agreement and since we have not lived in bug country it did not occur to us to inquire.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 AM

4,337 posts, read 2,824,641 times
Maybe something unusual with our weather pattern has allowed these to explode in population this Spring. I had to throw out some of my food in the pantry they had infested. But they seem to be around the sinks mostly.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,218,671 times
Oh- did any of you catch this? Rasberry crazy ants starting to appear in Williamson and Travis counties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin