Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM

114 posts, read 350,524 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Which one do you think is better....Samsung or Whirlpool? We are quite confused!!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurehouse View Post
Hi All,

Which one do you think is better....Samsung or Whirlpool? We are quite confused!!

Thanks!!
What are you confused about? What is your most important criteria?

If they are equal choices to you, just flip a coin. There is no such thing as "Best."

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,725 times
Both make over a dozen (maybe two dozen) models. Some are better than others.

It can be difficult to get a sense of reliability from reviews because most people want their appliances to "just work" and won't think to go review something well simply because it does what it's supposed to do. People with lemons or bad experiences are much more likely to go online and say something about it.

We would've gone with either one but found a better deal on a higher end model for a Samsung - Sears was having a "buy 3 appliances, get 20% off" sale that put their retail prices in line with what you'd pay if you'd bought it from Amazon.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM

473 posts, read 1,327,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurehouse View Post
hi all,

which one do you think is better....samsung or whirlpool? We are quite confused!!

Thanks!!
lg!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
We have a Samsung SS French door and love it.

That said, you could never get my husband to buy another Whirlpool appliance as long as he lives as ALL of our Whirlpool appliances (DW, Range and W/D) in the house we built -- they were 3-4 years old -- suffered some kind of major malfunction and required expensive repair. Incidentally, we had an LG SS French door in that house and never had a problem with it.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
We have all Whirlpool appliances in our house and they've been fine - 3 years now. Some neighbors have bought Samsung refrigerators and they like them too. I'd just look for features you want and price, and see which one fits the bill the best.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Run from LG! We purchased a french door ss model in 2006 and the light melted to the top and burned out (common problem we learned), the fixtures (drawers, etc.) have broken (common we also learned), and there is green/blue stuff in the ice and bottom of the freezer (I'll let you guess). It is horrid. Their TV and WD are pretty good, however.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Both make over a dozen (maybe two dozen) models. Some are better than others.

It can be difficult to get a sense of reliability from reviews because most people want their appliances to "just work" and won't think to go review something well simply because it does what it's supposed to do. People with lemons or bad experiences are much more likely to go online and say something about it.

We would've gone with either one but found a better deal on a higher end model for a Samsung - Sears was having a "buy 3 appliances, get 20% off" sale that put their retail prices in line with what you'd pay if you'd bought it from Amazon.
I think it is still worth reading reviews to get an idea of the types of problems that people are having. If a multiple people are experiencing the same problem, then it is probable that you will have that same problem. We have a GE fridge and lots of people were experiencing the ice maker freezing up. This was due to a defect that caused condensation on the transducer that closed the door to the ice chute. Over time that condensation caused the transducer to rust and the door wouldnt shut all the way causing frost buildup in the ice chute. This happens to 100% of people who own the fridge and is clearly reflected in the reviews. It was a $20 fix that will need to be done every 3-4 years or so.

I bought a toyota tundra that had reviews which indicated that 1) the brake rotors would warp due to high temps at high mileage 2) seatbelt retractors were weak and would not properly retract the seatbelt 3) the keyless entry remote had a very weak signal 4) headlight crazing at high mileage

These were repeated over and over review after review. I decided they were minimal issues and bought the truck anyway. Sure enough I had all of those exact issues.

LG frontload washers have a mold problem (maybe all frontload washers have this problem). We decided that the fix was easy - dont close the washer door so it can dry out.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Sorry- yes, we do have the same problem with our washer but it is in a walkway so hard to keep open. I have noticed that top loading washers are back in stores due to this problem.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
I think a lot of front loaders tend to have that problem due to water collecting in the seal. I too leave the door open all the time and have no mold problems.

As for fridges, I have a Whirlpool stainless steel side-by-side. It's been chugging along for 2 1/2 years now with no major issues. Only complaint is that the ice dispenser isn't very good at dispensing ice. Just a tip: if you're into sticking things to your fridge with magnets, a lot of stainless models are not magnetic on the front, so be sure to check for this at the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin