Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,230 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at eanes isd houses for a while. My impression is that houses which fits our price range (<500k) feeds to Valley View and are generally in the "poorer" part of Eanes (along Cuernavaca). And the TEA stats reflects that (higher economically disadvantage %, slight lower test scores etc). Anybody has personal experience with Valley View as compared to other Eanes elementary? And How difficult it is to transfer to other elementary?

Been struggling whether to barely get into Eanes or get considerable more house for the same amount in the Spicewood Springs area (Laurel Mountain, Spicewood el etc). Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,997,154 times
I personally don't think it's a good idea to stretch just for a school district.

You could spend $200K less and track any number of schools that will give a comparable education on paper (which is all those rankings are). Heck, a $300K mortgage instead of $500K would save you $12,000 a year in payments plus another ~$5K in taxes. You could have your pick of top private schools with those savings without the fear of barely affording your house.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

3,050 posts, read 3,234,547 times
I agree with achtungpv, don't let the school districts make your choice as the "real" differences between them are effectively meaningless. If you like the quirky Cuernavaca area and can live with the commute, then by all means live there. If you don't mind the more suburban feel of the Spicewood Springs area (and can live with the commute), then by all means live there. They both have great schools, on paper anyway, but as always, YMMV. Actually, YMWV, as in Your Mileage WILL Vary. I personally would not put myself in a position that I would have to "stretch" to afford to live in an area based purely (or primarily) on the school district.

Also, don't forget schools like LASA in AISD, tons of choices on where to live then.

One correction though, it'll cost you more than $17K/year to get into places like St Andrews/St Stephens/et al.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM

53 posts, read 116,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchc View Post
I have been looking at eanes isd houses for a while. My impression is that houses which fits our price range (<500k) feeds to Valley View and are generally in the "poorer" part of Eanes (along Cuernavaca). And the TEA stats reflects that (higher economically disadvantage %, slight lower test scores etc). Anybody has personal experience with Valley View as compared to other Eanes elementary? And How difficult it is to transfer to other elementary?

Been struggling whether to barely get into Eanes or get considerable more house for the same amount in the Spicewood Springs area (Laurel Mountain, Spicewood el etc). Thanks in advance!
1. Don't know about the poorer part. Seven Oaks feeds into Valley View too, which got multimillion house.

2. 500K can get in many parts of EISD, including Lost Creek, Barton Creek West, etc.

3. I believe you can send kids to other school, but you have to drive them to the school, instead of them riding school bus.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,230 times
Maybe I shouldn't use the word "barely" It's just what we feel living comfortably within our means which I guess is different for everybody. Maybe to rephrase the question is Valley View good enough to sacrifice getting more house in the Springwood area or should we pay even more to get into Bridge point, Forest Trail etc....

We have 3 yr old and we want to best for him and plan to stay at one place until he finish high school so school is primary concern right now. We are also wary about the high competition in laurel/canyon vista/westwood vs more diversity in Eanes in general. Thanks for all the opinion!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 PM

499 posts, read 1,302,792 times
While Valley View does take the "poorer" part of Eanes, it still has a very low percentage of economically disadvantaged students, and like other Eanes campuses, is mostly white and wealthy. Exemplary rating and very good test scores. I don't think you have any reason to worry about it.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,063,711 times
Quote:
We are also wary about the high competition in laurel/canyon vista/westwood vs more diversity in Eanes in general. Thanks for all the opinion!
More diversity in Eanes in general? You must be joking. Eanes is about 91% White.

I think you are agonizing over nothing. So what if Valley View has microscopically slightly lower ratings than other Eanes schools?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,644,971 times
Actually, I think that is a great area and I don't think people are "settling" for it as they may have in the past. It is close to Bee Cave, where there is a Whole Foods opening next week, and additional amenities, healthcare, etc. it is close to the hill country and really quite beautiful. We'd love to move there because we love BC and have relatives this way but work across town so it doesn't make sense at this time for us. The perception of the entire area is changing.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,074,271 times
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't use the word "barely" It's just what we feel living comfortably within our means which I guess is different for everybody. Maybe to rephrase the question is Valley View good enough to sacrifice getting more house in the Springwood area or should we pay even more to get into Bridge point, Forest Trail etc....

We have 3 yr old and we want to best for him and plan to stay at one place until he finish high school so school is primary concern right now. We are also wary about the high competition in laurel/canyon vista/westwood vs more diversity in Eanes in general. Thanks for all the opinion!
eanes is much less diverse than laurel/canyon/westwood.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM

319 posts, read 735,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
More diversity in Eanes in general? You must be joking. Eanes is about 91% White.

I think you are agonizing over nothing. So what if Valley View has microscopically slightly lower ratings than other Eanes schools?
Isnt this kind of splitting hairs? The majority of Austin area school districts, particularly in the "suburbs" are predominantly white...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: