U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 AM

17 posts, read 24,312 times

Advertisements

I moved to the area about 10 months ago, and have enjoyed all the differences and similarities to my hometown Portland, OR. What I'm asking for is suggestions on what to do with my two teenage daughters on their visit to the area this weekend...I live in a little (and fairly boring) small town out of Austin, so ultimately I could find a campground to stay at in the Austin area to use as homebase while we tour around the City. They stayed in Portland to finish the school year so this is my big chance to show them how Great Austin is....they're attachment to PDX is Very very extreme, but I know once we look around at how much the two cities have in common the transition will be easier.
Things we like to do include: Outdoor Concerts, Flea Markets, Hikes, Vintage Clothing Stores, Hiking, Rafting, Camping, People Watching....
Can you please reccomend
#1 -A campground within 20 minutes from Dwtn that has cabin rental, or atleast showers, as we do have tents to use.
#2 - Festivals, Events, Live Music that is outdoors this weekend and "kid" friendly.
#3 - Anything that would help them see the "Keep Austin Weird" because we love the "Keep Portland Weird" and I'm not sure who had it first, but no matter...they are both super amazing places with So Much to see and Do.

Thanks for any suggestions, and Here's is to a Great Weekend in the Sunshine!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,849,385 times
McKinney Falls is in Southeast Austin near the airport and it has showers/running water.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM

12,987 posts, read 13,432,602 times
1. Find a way to see The Avengers at Alamo Drafthouse
2. Swim, catch a few rays at Barton Springs
3. Rent a boat or jetski at Lake Travis
4. Eat burgers at Hop Doddy, catch a dessert from a food trailer on SoCo
5. Eat Tex-Mex at the original Chuys on Barton Springs
6. Drive to Fredericksburg and climb Enchanted Rock
7. Visit/swim at Hamilton Pool

Austin Chronicle's list of recommended events for Saturday:

Calendar - Recommended Events - The Austin Chronicle

Lots of stuff going on. Pecan Street Festival. Tom Petty at the Erwin Center. Gipsy Kings at The Backyard (a fantastic outdoor venue).

Just a start....

Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM

6,879 posts, read 10,915,489 times
Get a cabin with A/C. Otherwise all they will do is complain about the heat.

Check do512.com for events. Make sure they get out to SoCo, downtown, and maybe even East Austin. As teenagers, they will be in total awe of the hipsters here. They are used to them in Portland, but here they are tanned and friendlier.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 PM

971 posts, read 1,919,158 times
I think Pecan Street Festival is this weekend down on 6th street. Also, La Condessa does something for Cinco De Mayo in front of their restaurant.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM

14,564 posts, read 21,343,797 times
TPWD: McKinney Falls State Park

Quote:
Campsites & Other Facilities: Park facilities include screened shelters with bunk beds (no mattresses); 84 campsites with water and electricity; walk-in water sites (200 yards in with a picnic table, a fire ring, a grill, and water in area); picnic sites; an interpretive hiking trail, approximately 3/4 mile long; 3.5 miles of paved trails; 4 miles of multi-use trails for hiking and mountain biking; an interpretive center with an exhibit room and audiovisual room; a sponsored youth group camping area; a dining hall (capacity 75) may be rented for day use. There is also an amphitheater that seats 50 people. Take time to browse through the Texas State Park Store. Wireless internet access (Wi-Fi) is available in some areas of the park for visitors to use. Please check with the park for details. Listing of State Parks with wireless internet access.
I do not see any mention of showers there. You should call and check. The are allowing swimming in Onion Creek.

Bastrop State Park is a little further away (36 miles East of Austin) but it has some wonderful cabins and is probably not too busy given that there was a major fire in the park last year. The cabins were not damaged but I'm not sure about the tent camping sites. They had showers for tent camping as well as the cabins last time I was there.

TPWD: Bastrop State Park

Quote:
Campsites & Other Facilities: include restrooms with showers; picnic sites; 10.5 miles of hiking trails; campsites with water; campsites with water and electricity; cabins; lodges; group barracks; and a dining hall (accommodates 90); a swimming pool; an outdoor sports area; a trail area; a day-use dining hall (refectory) with a kitchen area, tables and chairs for 90, a patio area, air-conditioning, and two fireplaces. Special rates are available. The historic cabins, which accommodate two to eight people, overlook a small lake and each has a small air-conditioning unit in the main room (bedrooms only have ceiling fans), a microwave and kitchen facilities (linens and towels are furnished, but no utensils, dishes, or silverware). It is advised to bring fans for additional cooling.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,592 times
I am from Portland Oregon (Actually Corvallis was the last place I lived in OR, but in Portland long enough before that) and I moved here about 2 and a half years ago. Both PDX and AUS are great progressive cities with tons to do. I can't emphasize enough how much I have enjoyed the year-long sunshine and awesome weather.

I pretty much agree with all the stuff hoffdano said, in addition to -
Barton Creek walk/Zilker Park/Lady Bird lake (kayak,canoe, waterbike)
Barton Springs Pool (Great for people watching, or cool yourself down)
Floating at the Comal or Guadalupe rivers
Late night food trailers in downtown
Salt Lick BBQ at Driftwood
Congress Avenue bridge bat watching
Eat and people watch at Whole food downtown
Oasis or Uncle Billy by Lake Travis for the view
Mozart's and Hula Hut @ Austin water front
Barton Greenbelt hike

Definitely check out the Pecan Street Festival and Cinco De Mayo!

They are coming at the right time and I am sure they will have lots of fun.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 AM

709 posts, read 652,587 times
As others have mentioned defiantly hit the Pecan Street Fest and Cinco De Mayo this weekend.

Also Austin has tons and tons of fabulous local vintage clothing shops. Many are in East and South Austin as well as some good ones around North Loop. Just do a bit of Google searching.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 AM

4,065 posts, read 6,379,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by six2211 View Post
I moved to the area about 10 months ago, and have enjoyed all the differences and similarities to my hometown Portland, OR. What I'm asking for is suggestions on what to do with my two teenage daughters on their visit to the area this weekend...I live in a little (and fairly boring) small town out of Austin, so ultimately I could find a campground to stay at in the Austin area to use as homebase while we tour around the City. They stayed in Portland to finish the school year so this is my big chance to show them how Great Austin is....they're attachment to PDX is Very very extreme, but I know once we look around at how much the two cities have in common the transition will be easier.
Things we like to do include: Outdoor Concerts, Flea Markets, Hikes, Vintage Clothing Stores, Hiking, Rafting, Camping, People Watching....
Can you please reccomend
#1 -A campground within 20 minutes from Dwtn that has cabin rental, or atleast showers, as we do have tents to use.
#2 - Festivals, Events, Live Music that is outdoors this weekend and "kid" friendly.
#3 - Anything that would help them see the "Keep Austin Weird" because we love the "Keep Portland Weird" and I'm not sure who had it first, but no matter...they are both super amazing places with So Much to see and Do.

Thanks for any suggestions, and Here's is to a Great Weekend in the Sunshine!
what town do you live in?

Emma long is in a really nice part of austin, I havent actually been there so you might want to check it out first.

Windy point park is on lake travis but is a bit further than 20 minutes to downtown. There will be a lot of scuba divers taking lessons there. Not sure if they would want to learn to dive.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,592 times
Austin97 reminded me, aquarium springs in San Marcos is also a great dive site. There is a glass-bottom boat tour that is very pleasant and quite popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin