Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM

307 posts, read 718,348 times

Advertisements

I googled them, looked on yelp, etc but couldn't find any 3rd part information about them.
Their website is www.sasolar.net
if anyone has used them, I would love to hear your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,870,703 times
I have not used them but found this.

Best Austin Solar Panel Installers | Angie's List Solar Panel Installation Reviews

A few things to consider. In general you may be looking at a 10 year pay back before you break even on the cost of the installation. You should look at those numbers. That was the case when I considered adding a solar collection system to my house. I decided against it. Also, when was your roof last replaced? If you have to replace it anytime soon, you should do so and have it done to accomodate the solar array, otherwise you will have to remove the array before you reroof it again.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
I don't know anything about them, but this company is probably the "go-to" choice. They've installed the big installation at J Pickle Research, been written up in the papers, have an actual office, etc.

Texas Solar Power Company - Renewable Energy

Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 PM

97 posts, read 416,524 times
I think about this quite ofton....

I was at the net-zero home in Austin and the solar company was there doing a pk class. The home had about 60K worth of solar panels on the roof and the solar company said it would save around $50 per month in electricity. Mind you my numbers might not be totally correct I am going off memory and what I remember from the shock.

It just seams much more logical to go with something like improving the envelope of your home. For instance spray foam in the Attic and better sealing around the home. It would be much less than 60K and save more than $50 per month. It would also improve the air quality of the home and make it less drafty.

Feel free to correct me. I am far from a pro. My ideas just seam the most logical.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsheehan026 View Post
It just seams much more logical to go with something like improving the envelope of your home. For instance spray foam in the Attic and better sealing around the home. It would be much less than 60K and save more than $50 per month. It would also improve the air quality of the home and make it less drafty.
Yes, that is quite logical, and yes, making a home more energy efficient is typically suggested as the FIRST step to take. Another one is sealing the ductwork on the HVAC system, which can be a surprisingly big energy waster in older homes. And replacing single pane windows with double pane windows is another good possibility.

Once you've made the house as energy-efficient as you can, however, what do you do about switching the energy you do consume from fossil fuel sources to renewable sources? To some people this is actually a higher personal priority than saving money. These people are, in effect, the patrons of the development of our future. And in central Texas, as it turns out, solar power is a very good a method of personal energy generation. After all, the biggest energy load is when the sun out and shining and making everything hot, which is precisely when a solar system will be most efficient. What could be better than using the power of the sun to mitigate the undesirable effects of the sun?

Does it take a 60K installation to do that? No, not at all. And in fact even just a small installation helps, if only in a small way. The biggest issue is that it may take more years to recoup the financial investment than most people are used to thinking in terms of.

That's why a new business is emerging to install a system without a large upfront investment to the homeowner, in exchange for a monthly bill that goes on for many years. This, in fact, is the business model that paid for our existing power systems, but simply split out to a retail version.

In any case, every time I see a solar power installation going in I cheer, because ultimately it is contributing to a future which belongs to all of us.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,614,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have not used them but found this.

Best Austin Solar Panel Installers | Angie's List Solar Panel Installation Reviews

A few things to consider. In general you may be looking at a 10 year pay back before you break even on the cost of the installation. You should look at those numbers. That was the case when I considered adding a solar collection system to my house. I decided against it. Also, when was your roof last replaced? If you have to replace it anytime soon, you should do so and have it done to accomodate the solar array, otherwise you will have to remove the array before you reroof it again.
If you only measure things through money, then yes, you are correct. There are a few other benefits to solar though, being self-sufficient is one, not using coal or nuclear based energy is another.... Just sayin'

Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 AM

307 posts, read 718,348 times
The quotes I got (after rebates) were under $3k.
I posted the quotes here under a solar forum:
NexPower modules? Help in choosing a system (http://tinyurl.com/6wsmgn7 - broken link)
it all seems to be too good to be true, but for sure the Austin Energy rebate is accurate, as they will collect that rebate for me, so it is deducted off the cost of the project and I dont' even have to pay for that part. I woudl have to pay ~$10k and then wait for Federal rebate at tax time....
let me know what you think!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM

49 posts, read 100,930 times
Here's some real world info in my recent install:

Had 5.04 kW solar PV system installed in May by SRE. $21k total, $6.5k out-of-pocket after COA and Federal rebates. My system uses Enphase M215 micro-inverters (21 total, one per panel), mainly because of shading reasons (better efficiency than a central inverter). 25-yr warranty for both panels and micro-inverters. System installed at 25 degree angle, 145 degree orientation (this is not optimal but it's what I had to work with).

Our usage for our 1500 sq ft house was about 6600 kwh in 2011. Initial estimates had this system producing about 5900-6300 kwh/yr, so far it has produced 3316 kwh (averaging 22.8 kwh/day since 5/10/12).

I estimate payback in about 10 years.

Actual output can be viewed at these sites (per panel power can be viewed at the Enphase site but I find the pvoutput site more user-friendly):

Jason & Simone Solar System 5.040kW | Live Output
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/...tems/fZA780625

No real maintenance issues.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM

249 posts, read 490,297 times
I'm considering 8kw or greater for the house I just bought, though given the roof configuration I think it'd be better done as a 'solar cabana' in the backyard adjacent/connected to the house. I need to get the historical billing info from the power company if I can (bluebonnet coop) to get a good idea of the power needs, but this house has decent insulation, 2 heat pumps, and I just installed Tier III washer/fridge and matching dryer. Peak is probably about 1500-2000kWh if my rental house is any indication, and a constant 200-300 of those would go to my car.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,510 times
I actually haven't used Advanced Solar, my wife used to work for them, but since no one else really had any information on them I thought I might add something.

I have seen them do hundreds of installs this year alone. They are an honest company. They wouldn't be in business in this industry for very long if they weren't. All it takes is one bad review and business suffers. They aren't on Yelp or even the BBB but they have strong ratings on Angie's List.

Also, from what I have seen the past year, the payback is less than 10 years, especially if you count the property value appreciation. 60K for $50 a month savings? That system should cost you 6k and save you closer to $100 a month. You should replace your roof before you install solar panels but if you don't, Advanced Solar has a 5 year guarantee, they will remove and replace your system for 500 dollars.

They also have a power generation guarantee which is pretty unique; it's something they can offer because they stand by their product. It's pretty easy to get more information. You call the number, set an appointment and a rep will come to your house with a google earth site plan. They will show you how much your system will generate, how much your system will cost, the value of the electricity it will produce and how soon you can expect to break-even. They will do this for free, from what I have seen people are generally surprised by how affordable it can be. This is a site with their number and more information. Advanced Solar - HDMarketing ------------- (801) 995-5490 | Bringing Solar To San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin