U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM

101 posts, read 77,771 times
Default Does anyone care about Texas?

My impression from living in Austin for 2 weeks now is that people here don't care too much about the state itself, since the majority of people aren't from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2,235 posts, read 2,824,675 times
Are you serious? I think the "Texas Pride" is quite prevalent. Frankly, I think it is downright obnoxious sometimes. There are Texas flags everywhere, and the public school children all recite the Texas Pledge of Allegiance every day in addition the the US Pledge.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Interesting. I haven't met anyone from Texas at work. My apartment complex is about 90% Hindu, with a few Chinese and whites from other parts of the USA. I don't think I've met any Texas natives, actually. Are they some sort of endangered species?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM

883 posts, read 605,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicdad View Post
My impression from living in Austin for 2 weeks now is that people here don't care too much about the state itself, since the majority of people aren't from Texas.
Lol wut?...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM

3,903 posts, read 5,717,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Lol wut?...
troll

Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,527,143 times
Just speak for your neighborhood..though 90% Hindu? That might be an exaggeration. Texas pride is definitely alive and strong and there are more native born Texans living in Austin than you think. Always remember that your children, if they were born here, are native Texans

Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM

If anything, it's an understatement. When I toured the apartment, and I was about to leave, there were two school buses that unloaded about 50 kids at the entrance. About 48 of them were Hindu and 2 were Chinese. I have since seen about 3 or 4 white residents here. A white couple lives above me, and judging by their accents, they're from the north. At church, I don't think any of the priests are Texans. When I've been shopping, the store clerks (if they are American) don't seem to know anything about directions, etc. because they're not from here.

Last edited by catholicdad; 05-09-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM

603 posts, read 506,888 times
Texas pride is all over the state. I have never lived or visited a state where the state flag flies practically everywhere. I live in Plano,Texas north of Dallas and drove by an apartment complex in Allen north of me that had 2 Texas flags flying on either side of the U.S. flag. Not 1 but 2. I really need to take a picture of that. It's an apartment complex of all things not a state building. I personally like the state and am glad I moved here. I would hazard a guess that at least 40% of the Texas population of 26.4 million have moved here from another state or country. But that's just a guess. Anybody have any hard statistics on that?

A good link below for fun.

10 Reasons Why Texans Love Texas

Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM

8,464 posts, read 16,816,858 times
Quote:
My apartment complex is about 90% Hindu
Now, you can tell someone's religion from looking at them? Impressive!

But that aside, your complex seems to be an anomaly, since I believe that there are a huge number of native Texans here (raises hand) and I know a huge number of other native Texans, although a lot are not from Austin itself.

This has piqued my curiosity, so I am going through my office phone list and categorizing the ones I know:
Austinite: IIIII
Native/Hispanic: IIIII
Native/Caucasian: IIIII IIIII IIIII II
PA: II
MI: I
GA: I
FL: I
CO: I
Grenada: I
Spain: I
India: I
Unknown: IIIII II

The Austinite tally is a subset of the Native categories.

At least 17 of 38 (just under 50%) are native to Texas, as best I can tell, with 7 others unknown (but probably not more than 1 or 2 from Texas). At least 5 are native to Austin, although there may be one or two more that I don't know. This does not include our Houston office, which is smaller but I think more 'native' even than our Austin one.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Now, you can tell someone's religion from looking at them? Impressive!
They are not Muslim or Sikh; they do not wear turbans. As I've spent my adult life around Indians, I sense when they are Hindus. It's possible some of them are Christian, though being "Christian" in India typically means they celebrate xmas in addition to Hindu holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin