U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,697 posts, read 3,765,382 times
Reputation: 12319
Thumbs up You can make a left turn on red in Texas.

....if both streets at the intersection are one way streets. I'm assuming most people aren't aware since I haven't seen any other drivers take advantage of it since I've been here. I've even had passengers give me surprised looks. It was legal in the state I've moved from and made a point to check the traffic laws here.


TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 544. TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS, AND MARKINGS

(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may
(1) turn right; or
(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
8,619 posts, read 15,709,645 times
Reputation: 2311
Yes, you're right. I learned that in drivers ed when I was a kiddo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
6,808 posts, read 10,276,036 times
Reputation: 2896
Someone's just taken drivers ed to dismiss a ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
13,697 posts, read 3,765,382 times
Reputation: 12319
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Someone's just taken drivers ed to dismiss a ticket
Nada. Only had one traffic citation and that was in 1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,026 posts, read 1,978,822 times
Reputation: 2354
Yes. I've never lived anywhere where this wasn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
 
281 posts, read 415,141 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Yes. I've never lived anywhere where this wasn't the case.

I have. NYC. Can't even go right on red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
 
2,291 posts, read 2,924,700 times
Reputation: 1180
I knew this, but I bet a lot of folks here don't. They also don't seem to know that the left lane should be used for passing and faster traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
8,619 posts, read 15,709,645 times
Reputation: 2311
And vice versa...I've been noticing a lot more people trying to drive too fast in the slow lane and no, not always to go around slower people in the fast lane either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Avery Ranch, Austin, TX
5,175 posts, read 6,002,018 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I knew this, but I bet a lot of folks here don't. They also don't seem to know that the left lane should be used for passing and faster traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
And vice versa...I've been noticing a lot more people trying to drive too fast in the slow lane and no, not always to go around slower people in the fast lane either.
Didn't take long for this thread to pick up THIS oh-so-productive subject once again.

BUT, if you want to discuss driving maneuvers that are dangerous yet performed countless times daily, let's talk about pulling into the center-dual turn lane and accelerating for hundreds of feet before finally squeezing into the proper traveling lane. Not legal here in Texas, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM
 
3,969 posts, read 5,922,523 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
....if both streets at the intersection are one way streets. I'm assuming most people aren't aware since I haven't seen any other drivers take advantage of it since I've been here. I've even had passengers give me surprised looks. It was legal in the state I've moved from and made a point to check the traffic laws here.


TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 544. TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS, AND MARKINGS

(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may
(1) turn right; or
(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.
This has come up a lot of times. I think most people know this I see people doing it all the time.

Less common is that you can pull into the intersection while you are making a left turn on green. Then when the light turns red you can complete your turn. I see a lot of people that dont know this. Typically 2 cars should be able to go, but lots of times no cars go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top