Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM

14 posts, read 16,035 times

Advertisements

I want to get into mountain biking. Where are the best places to go? Are there any groups? I have never mountain biked before so I am a little sketchy about going alone so I am looking for a group to go with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,367 times
Walnut Creek Park and the Barton Creek Greenbelt are popular trails (parts of the Greenbelt are rather hairy but a lot of it is beginner-friendly).

I bet the folks at Austin Ridge Riders Welcome to Austin Ridge Riders | Austin Ridge Riders
or Bikemojo forums Austin, TX
will have good advice for newbie-friendly groups and finding fellow riders.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Awesome! Thank you for the great information.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Seriously, contact the Austin Ridge Riders. They have beginner rides every week or two at Walnut Creek.

For starters some good beginner trails are Walnut Creek, Slaughter Creek, the first 2 miles of the Greenbelt from the Zilker trailhead, McKinney Falls, and the beginner loop at Reimers.

Once you advance past beginner, you can add the rest of the Greenbelt, Muleshoe, Pace Bend, ad Rocky Ranch. The most difficult places around are City Park, Reveille Peak Ranch, and Lake Georgetown.

Prospect & Purgatory in San Marcos have some beginner but mostly intermediate trails. There's a good intermediate level trail at Canyon Lake in New Braunfels also.

Austin Bike has reviews of most of the trails within 2 hours of Austin.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM

I have checked out the ridge riders website and I will be going to the Sunday ride provided it is still on due to the rain.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebling View Post
I want to get into mountain biking. Where are the best places to go? Are there any groups? I have never mountain biked before so I am a little sketchy about going alone so I am looking for a group to go with.
The Bicycle Sport Shop stores are owned by an avid MTBer -- Hills Abel. They have rides, clinics, and etc., and I sure would be happy to share information with you. Hills is very accessible and would probably get right back to you if you sent him an e-mail.

Don

Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebling View Post
I have checked out the ridge riders website and I will be going to the Sunday ride provided it is still on due to the rain.
Ill probably be out there too because of this thread. Thanks for asking about it!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Ok Don, I will look into that too. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The Bicycle Sport Shop stores are owned by an avid MTBer -- Hills Abel. They have rides, clinics, and etc., and I sure would be happy to share information with you. Hills is very accessible and would probably get right back to you if you sent him an e-mail.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Ill probably be out there too because of this thread. Thanks for asking about it!
Maybe ill see you there Austin97

Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
I personally wouldn't recommend the lower part of the Barton Creek Greenbelt for biking. It's mostly flat, and you spend the majority of your efforts just trying to avoid the rocks that would pinch your tires flat if you went over them with any speed. The upper part of the Greenbelt is much better in that regard and still a very manageable ride for someone who hasn't done it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin