U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 PM

2,304 posts, read 3,428,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I commute every day on this stretch of 2244. I think it is OK. People are driving fast on this stretch, as the road is wide and open. With central lane, nothing sits in the traffic to block the flow.
My opinion is that commuting drivers (ie. during rush hour) are actually more familiar with the roads and seem to drive much better even though there are more cars on the road. I normally come across more erratic drivers during non-commuting hours. If I'm driving around at 10:30 am on a weekday, I feel like I have to be much more alert than when I'm around daily commuters at 7:00am. I actually recognize a lot of the cars that I commute with everyday on I35 or MoPac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 PM

25 posts, read 38,256 times
Exclamation Good advice from the OP

The absolute madness described by the OP seems to be common behavior in my experience on that section of road. Like orngkat, I'm a central Austin dweller and my partner and I comment everytime we're out that way to see friends and colleagues how dangerous that road is. Yes, especially the area west of 360... especially if your neighborhood access is in a shallow trough of those rolling hills. If there hasn't been already, it doesn't take a genius to see that there will be a statistically high[er] incidence of high speed accidents and fatalities on that section as traffic grows over there if driving habits don't change or additional control measures aren't taken.

Good luck and safe travel to all those that use that route. You truly need it.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM

73 posts, read 104,803 times
Oh my goodness. This morning around 11:00, I drove on the Mopac northbound。 Near the Rollingwood exit, it had been fine until a sedan suddenly shifted from the left-most to the right-most in an almost paralleled approach and exited, no signalling and totally clueless.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM

141 posts, read 148,457 times
I think that people driving in the left lane not passing, just staying there and not getting over worsen the aggressive driving problem. But it is all over the area, I travel Lakeline and Cypress Creek in Cedar Park and cars will stay in the left lane the whole length.
In PA, you can get a ticket for doing it. But it just boils down to common courtesy.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,901,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghAustin View Post
I think that people driving in the left lane not passing, just staying there and not getting over worsen the aggressive driving problem. But it is all over the area, I travel Lakeline and Cypress Creek in Cedar Park and cars will stay in the left lane the whole length.
In PA, you can get a ticket for doing it. But it just boils down to common courtesy.
I think another problem is all the left turns that can be made from Bee Cave Rd. Once a week I drive to Westridge Middle School and turn left into Barton Creek West. At some point after Cuernevaca, if I'm not already in the left lane, I move over in preparation for the left turn, still maintaining good speed. Sometimes, a conehead driver will run up on my tail end. I can't move to the right because I'm getting ready to turn left, but I'm not close enough to the intersection to move into the left turn lane yet.

I think a lot of drivers do what I do, but just stay in the left lane miles down the road because it's too stressful switching lanes at the point actually needed.

Steve

Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM

28,772 posts, read 11,275,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
This has got to be the most stressful road that I have ever driven on. It's full of nothing but rude, crazy drivers. I try to avoid it as much as possible (kind of hard to do considering my neighborhood is off of this road).

The worst stretch of it is west of 360 to Hwy 71. I was driving home today (on a Saturday and not during rush hour) going 4 miles above the speed limit which is 60 mph. Some woman comes right up on my tail and is riding my tail almost to the point where she's about to hit me. I was in the left lane, but was going with the flow of traffic (there was no room between my car and the car in front of me). She dramatically throw her hands up in the air. I finally moved over as soon as it was safe to. She didn't get anywhere with all of that wreckless driving.

Something similar happened to me a few months earlier so I decided to avoid this stretch of road as much as I could. However, I HAD to use it today and was reminded how much I strongly dislike this road. I'm starting to think if I want to get into downtown Austin, that I should go out of my way to Hwy 71 and into town via Southwest Pkwy.

I'm from Houston and have never experienced so many rude drivers on one road before. I'm sorry about my rant, but people talking about how "laid back" and "slow paced" Austin is are just wrong.

I love my exhaust brake on my Cummins diesel just for those people.

Just let off the gas a little and they disappear behind the tailgate and then back way off thinking I have no brake lights.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM

16,501 posts, read 22,978,962 times
The left lane for passing only thing is in the statutes. It says, IF TxDOT determines that a particular stretch of HIGHWAY is to be designated as left lane for passing only, the sign has to read a certain way.

There's a surprising amount of caselaw on this particular issue, most of it having to do with drug stops where the traffic cop pulled someone over for driving in the left lane while not passing and then found drugs and the bust being thrown out because the closest sign saying that the left lane was for passing only was 20 miles back or something and thus did not apply in the area where the drug bust occurred and was an invalid stop.

So, while I spend as little time in the left lane as possible, no, it's not the law in Texas and not likely to be anytime soon. This isn't Pennsylvania.

As for "closing the gap", it depends on what you mean by that. It's almost impossible these days to leave the required safe distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you because of people who seem to think they are just awesome driver but obviously missed that little bit of physics in driving school regarding how quickly a vehicle can stop at X speed and thus how much distance you should leave between vehicles at that speed, who insist on filling in the "gap" Now, THOSE people are definitely ones who cause accidents simply because of this apparent ignorance.

Speeding? Automatic ten miles over the limit? Speed if you want to. I do. All I ask is, admit that you are complaining because someone else is doing the right thing (obeying the speed limit) and getting in the way of you doing something wrong (violating the speed limit), and that you're the cause of the problem in this scenario. Because it's the truth, whether it's palatable to you or not. Has nothing to do with popular or unpopular, it's simple fact.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 PM

306 posts, read 329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The left lane for passing only thing is in the statutes. It says, IF TxDOT determines that a particular stretch of HIGHWAY is to be designated as left lane for passing only, the sign has to read a certain way.

There's a surprising amount of caselaw on this particular issue, most of it having to do with drug stops where the traffic cop pulled someone over for driving in the left lane while not passing and then found drugs and the bust being thrown out because the closest sign saying that the left lane was for passing only was 20 miles back or something and thus did not apply in the area where the drug bust occurred and was an invalid stop.

So, while I spend as little time in the left lane as possible, no, it's not the law in Texas and not likely to be anytime soon. This isn't Pennsylvania.

As for "closing the gap", it depends on what you mean by that. It's almost impossible these days to leave the required safe distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you because of people who seem to think they are just awesome driver but obviously missed that little bit of physics in driving school regarding how quickly a vehicle can stop at X speed and thus how much distance you should leave between vehicles at that speed, who insist on filling in the "gap" Now, THOSE people are definitely ones who cause accidents simply because of this apparent ignorance.

Speeding? Automatic ten miles over the limit? Speed if you want to. I do. All I ask is, admit that you are complaining because someone else is doing the right thing (obeying the speed limit) and getting in the way of you doing something wrong (violating the speed limit), and that you're the cause of the problem in this scenario. Because it's the truth, whether it's palatable to you or not. Has nothing to do with popular or unpopular, it's simple fact.
Closing the gap has nothing to do with safe distances. Yes, you should leave a car length, etc. Its because you are on your cell phone, or have no where to be, etc. and you are making the hundreds behind you wait because you arent paying attention. (Not saying "you" personally, using the term generically).

In terms of speed limit, if 99% of the cars are driving 65mph in a 55mph, doesnt matter what the law says, the person driving 50-55 is being dangerous and could cause an accident.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM

16,501 posts, read 22,978,962 times
BUT, if the persons violating the speed limit (that is what you're doing, you do realize, don't you? If not, there are worse problems at work here than I had hoped and you're a MUCH worse driver than you think you are) weren't doing so, there would be no problem, now, would there?

I don't care if people speed, as long as they are cognizant of the fact that they are choosing to do so and acknowledge that they are the ones choosing to violate the speed limit and are thus the cause of any problems that might occur from that. That, at least, indicates a coherent perception of what they are doing, which blaming the problem on others does not, and that they are prepared to accept and be responsible for the predictable consequences of their own deliberately chosen actions.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM

6,873 posts, read 10,858,678 times
I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say:

noooooooooooo

this will go on for 10 pages

let's stop now

(but last word is "slower traffic keep right" )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin