U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,936,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
... What do people think? I have only been here for 9 months...am I being too judgmental? Don't get me wrong, I have made some great friends, found a wonderful relationship, and have definitely had moments where I thought Austin was amazing, but as far as long term living is concerned I am just not so sure. Should I give it some more time?
Yes, I think you're being too judgmental and not giving it enough time.

But I don't think Austin is going to change, I think your expectations will have to realign with reality, and you'll have to work harder at finding the things that make you happy and that you can appreciate.

I know there are a lot of people with your similar biography (student loan debt, low paying job, feeling frustrated, etc.) that are very happy in Austin because they have found a way to be so. You can too.

Sometimes in life it just helps to write a gratitude list. You said you "found a wonderful relationship", that would be one thing on the list. Would that have happened if you didn't come to Austin? Maybe, but it did happen hear. If your apartment has rats, take action and do something about it. It takes 3 minutes to report it to City Code Enforcement online.

If Austin traffic stresses you, join the club. Find a different route that maybe takes longer but keeps you on a less stressful set of streets. I do that all the time, so do many others. Try leaving 10 minutes sooner, it might make a huge difference. You can learn to adapt to and mitigate your biggest frustrations and to enhance and expand your greatest joys in Austin. But you have to take action and try. Don't give up yet.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,732,345 times
I spent a week exploring Austin and environs and found it to be the most over hyped, nothing place I have ever seen. I have been pretty much everywhere. Your description is spot on. After hearing so many comments about how wonderful it is I start to wonder if I am crazy. I don't care for Texas anyway but I'll take Dallas or Houston over Austin any day. At least those cities have a thin veneer of culture and sophistication.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just ignoring people who have a problem with my question/phrasing at this point. A lot of the answers on here have FAR exceeded my expectations of an online forum and I really appreciate it. Most of you have been incredibly helpful. I probably will end up giving it more time here, pursue the comedy scene, and see how to pans out. If after the summer/a full year of living here, I still feel the same, I'll move on. Gosh, one thing that happened recently that wouldn't likely happen in another city...the week before last when it was pouring all week, I turned down the wrong street coming home, and tried to turn around in a crammed lot, my back window had fogged in the rain and I accidentally backed into another parked car, leaving a huge dent/crack. I felt awful and obviously left a note apologizing with my phone number, so that he could get my insurance information. Long story short, after talking to the man he decided to not pursue it, and seemed genuinely concerned about me having to pay for the damages. Now THAT kind of kindness you don't run into a lot back east.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 AM

5,268 posts, read 3,433,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I spent a week exploring Austin and environs and found it to be the most over hyped, nothing place I have ever seen. I have been pretty much everywhere. Your description is spot on. After hearing so many comments about how wonderful it is I start to wonder if I am crazy. I don't care for Texas anyway but I'll take Dallas or Houston over Austin any day. At least those cities have a thin veneer of culture and sophistication.
This is a little unusual, as normally it seems people enjoy their visit and don't start saying things like it's overhyped, overrated etc. until after living here on a day-to-day basis....

Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 AM

16,525 posts, read 23,073,250 times
Quote:
So you know all about Austin after "exploring" for a week. I'd say that says a heck of a lot more about you than it does about Austin (or anyplace, really).

The OP, at nine months, just might possibly have given it enough time to know something about the city.

Someone who decides in a week, especially after acknowledging that they don't even like the state the city is in and so are predisposed to a negative impression, the things you mention above, has just damaged their own credibility. No matter how many places they've skimmed the surface of.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,936,891 times
Quote:
Just curious, what specifically would you have like to have been able to do, see, experience, etc that you weren't able to or that you did but found lacking?

Did you want better hiking, swiming, shopping, nightlife, live music, restaurants, museums, or what?

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 05-21-2012 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 AM

479 posts, read 639,419 times
Coming from Rittenhouse Square in Philly....hm. I grew up around Philly and I don't even know how I'd begin to compare it to Austin.

I enjoyed Philadelphia as a "pretty good and less expensive" big city compared to NYC but I never had much interest in living there. I don't have it in me to want to murder my own sports teams on a regular basis, so maybe that's part of it.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM

170 posts, read 244,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So you know all about Austin after "exploring" for a week. I'd say that says a heck of a lot more about you than it does about Austin (or anyplace, really).

The OP, at nine months, just might possibly have given it enough time to know something about the city.

Someone who decides in a week, especially after acknowledging that they don't even like the state the city is in and so are predisposed to a negative impression, the things you mention above, has just damaged their own credibility. No matter how many places they've skimmed the surface of.
I'm not sure this is accurate. My neighbor in Austin loved to spend his weekends on the family ranch out in the middle of nowhere. They had a camper (not a house) on the land and he spent a lot of time fixing fences and that sort of thing. I think it would take him less than a week to decide that living in New York City was not his idea of a good fit. Certainly that's an extreme example, but I think it's true for a lot of people. Sometimes you just know that a place isn't the right place for you, even if other people seem to love it. I'd wager that my ranch-loving neighbor might even use the term "over-hyped" to describe Manhattan. I've met many Texans who are pretty sure they don't want to live anywhere but Texas. Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think it means that all of those Texans are simply "predisposed to a negative impression". It might just mean they know what they like and what they like is Texas. No harm in that.

It goes the other way, too. For some people, they just know that Austin (or any other place) isn't the right fit. You can list all of the great things to do in Austin or how much you love it here, but despite all of that, it's possible that it's just not the right place for someone and maybe they can figure that out pretty quickly. In fact, I'd argue that's a good thing.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

3,742 posts, read 5,461,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl26 View Post
I'm not sure this is accurate. My neighbor in Austin loved to spend his weekends on the family ranch out in the middle of nowhere. They had a camper (not a house) on the land and he spent a lot of time fixing fences and that sort of thing. I think it would take him less than a week to decide that living in New York City was not his idea of a good fit. Certainly that's an extreme example, but I think it's true for a lot of people. Sometimes you just know that a place isn't the right place for you, even if other people seem to love it. I'd wager that my ranch-loving neighbor might even use the term "over-hyped" to describe Manhattan. I've met many Texans who are pretty sure they don't want to live anywhere but Texas. Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think it means that all of those Texans are simply "predisposed to a negative impression". It might just mean they know what they like and what they like is Texas. No harm in that.

It goes the other way, too. For some people, they just know that Austin (or any other place) isn't the right fit. You can list all of the great things to do in Austin or how much you love it here, but despite all of that, it's possible that it's just not the right place for someone and maybe they can figure that out pretty quickly. In fact, I'd argue that's a good thing.
Yes, I spent two days in Little Rock, AR once, and I can confidently state that I'd never want to live there.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

76 posts, read 137,394 times
I had a friend from New England visiting this weekend and she flat out thought Austin was the greatest city that she had ever experienced. We had a ton of fun at the springs, shopping, walking around, bar hopping, eating great food. I have to admit that having her here, and somebody to go have fun with, made a HUGE difference. Maybe part of my problem is that I am homesick for my old friends. I have had some trouble really connecting with the people here, even though I do enjoy a lot of the people I have met. Driving around was still stressful (of course) but it was more worth it when I had a real friend to enjoy stuff with. I guess the grass is greener where you water it

Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,574,835 times
Quote:
I guess the grass is greener where you water it
Ain't that the truth!

One suggestion, and one I've made to a few folks, check out Austin Sports and Social Club - even if you and your significant other aren't the most athletically inclined, they still have plenty of stuff to do, and it's a great way to meet some really cool people. After my wife (then GF) moved here a few years back, she was dealing with some of the same kinds of stuff, and this turned out to be a great avenue for her, and me too, plus it gave us something to do together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin