U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,159,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Not if she lives inside the loop. I lived in Rice Village and could walk to everything I needed. If it was too far to walk I rode my bike. That was before they added a rail line near where I lived.
Please . . . Houston is one of the least pedestrian-friendly cities in the U.S. I like Houston and think it is an under-rated city, but its most walkable areas - Montrose, Rice Village, the Museum District, parts of the Heights are way less walkable than Hyde Park in Austin which the OP already finds lacking. The quasi-walkable parts of Houston often have no sidewalks or sidewalks in shocking states of disrepair, the streets are wider and much harder to cross, there are many more parking lots to navigate and most of inner-loop Houston is not walkable AT ALL. There is much more to do in Houston, but greater Houston is nearly the size of Belgium , and its many attractions are way more spread out than in Austin. Most of the things the OP complains about in Austin would be amplified by 20 in Houston, except for the tattoo trouble which is about the same in Montrose as it is Central Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,468,700 times
That wasn't my experience there. But I don't disagree that she would probably be happier outside of Austin.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,440,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Why do people who have careers in the arts overlook Houston? They also have more public transit and its easier to get a cab. All of my friends who have art careers live in Houston, save for one who lives in San Antonio and one who lives in Manor.
I wonder the same thing, but perhaps it's because Houston tends to be very misunderstood, even vilified and negatives exaggerated, and is not the media darling getting insane amounts of praise like Austin is. But people I personally know who live there seem to love it (and yes they are artsy types) and despite the lack of good press, it's a fast-growing place much like here.

Though I also agree with mm.... nowhere in this state is going to compare to the northeastern cities for transit and density, but shouldn't that be a given, common knowledge?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,440,730 times
Are the tatts really this huge a deal? I mean, unless they are all over or really bad?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,159,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
Haha I believe you, and thanks for the advice. I agree, unless you have a very specific skill set Austin is not going to pay the bills. I had considered Chicago for a while, as an alternative to NYC, since I am in the arts... and Chicago is relatively affordable, but of course competition there will be even steeper.
If you want a really under-rated and pretty fabulous arts scene along with the best vintage housing stock south of the Mason-Dixon line outside of New Orleans/Charleston, check out the Southtown/King William districts of San Antonio. IMO, easily the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the state of Texas, totally walkable and unbelievably cheap rent.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,259,306 times
Am I giving up on Austin too soon?

How about a college girl with a rich daddy?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,846,208 times
If the OP needs to get back to the NE, so be it.

However, if she wants to still give it a go in the South, I recommend New Orleans. You can walk absolutely everywhere or take a streetcar, and the Arts scene is unbelievably good. There are also amenities like you get in the NE: 5 star restaurants, a world class zoo, the NFL. Tattooing isn't as common either and the traffic is never really that bad.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 AM

90 posts, read 102,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise222 View Post
I moved to Austin about 9 months ago, believing all the the hype I had heard about it being this AMAZING and AFFORDABLE place to live with great weather
Hmm 9 months ago..so you haven't experienced a full Summer here in Texas yet have you? it may be the final straw and deciding factor
Ya, Hyde Park is a little grungy in some parts try Travis Heights or South Congress there are cool pockets all over Austin you just gotta look and keep an open mind..oh hey, I better jam or I'll be late for my tattoo appt.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM

8 posts, read 5,178 times
I would highly suggest Chicago. I find the cost of living to be lower than what I'm seeing in Austin (rent, gas from having to drive, even dog kennels) tons of people move here in their 20s so very open to meeting new people, walkable (neighborhood focused) and public transport and supportive art scene. The only thing that sucks is the cold which is why Im looking to move.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM

583 posts, read 669,462 times
All right sounds like you have a liberal arts degree, welcome to the club. Anywhere you go you'll have problems getting this mythic "great job". Most good jobs in this country are highly skilled manufacturing or tech jobs. Unless you are willing to go into either one of those areas expect to have to work your way up the ladder somewhere. You live in Hyde Park and complain about people with tatts? That's kinda like living on the beach and complaining about the sand. The area you live in is close enough to several areas that you could hit up happy hours after work or drive downtown without much traffic. Where do you work? Because if you don't work downtown you don't need to live there. You could save money and move further out and have better options. There's too much to do in Austin. I have a car and I drive to events all the time, just not during rush hour. Define "arts"? There's a film scene, music scene and a visual arts scene here. Have you participated in any shows? Tried joining any meetups? Look, I've lived all over the country and every place has its pluses in minuses. Sadly I found that I was the determining factor of whether I was happy and fulfilled not the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin