U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,438,029 times
Default Scorpion in my kitchen last night

Last night I happened upon a scorpion in my kitchen. We had exactly one scorpion last year and now this one. We had lived here for three years before and never had one. Why are we getting them now? The heat wave hasn't even started. Is there a "nest" nearby? What can I do, if anything? Where do I look for "nests"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM

3,737 posts, read 5,226,934 times
One scorpion a year is NOTHING. We had forty in 8 months in a new construction house built in a newly developed neighborhood. I know they are freaky, but they are native to this area and they travel at night so you just don't see them during the day, so that's why it seems like you've only encountered a couple. If you find them in your kitchen or bathroom they could be coming up the drain.

If you were outside at night in a wooded area you'd probably come across many. I don't know that you can seek out a nest and get rid of them. Sorry.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM

34 posts, read 63,882 times
Get an exterminator.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,662,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld44 View Post
Get an exterminator.
Nothing kills these guys. You can spray around the foundation and deter them but the next rain you may need to spray again.

Best bet with scorpions is the following: 1. accept you live in their habitat, 2. spray around foundation (you can also buy sprays you can spray on the inside of your house like baseboards etc.), 3. plug all the holes and passages that may serve as ways for them to come into your house (not easy!).

We rented a home in the Hills in Wimberley. Every day we found at least two scorpions. However, it was easy to see why, the home was full of little cracks and ways for insects to move in and out unfettered.

OD

Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 AM

12,351 posts, read 12,191,222 times
Most chemicals are ineffective with scorpions. If you use chemicals you will get rid of other bugs, not scorpions. However you will indirectly get rid of scorpions because you are getting rid of their food supply. But good advice above from Jennibc.

You cannot get rid of all of them in your home in this part of Texas. You can reduce the odds of seeing them.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
yam

221 posts, read 470,610 times
Get some spider killing spray. Bug spray doesn't do much since they're arachnids. When I lived in scorpion territory, I developed the following routine for dealing with them: 1) scream like a little girl, 2) spray it with spider spray, 3) pick it up with tongs, 4) scream like a little girl again, 5) cut in in half and drop into the toilet for disposal.

Must say I don't like those nasty little critters.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 AM

708 posts, read 709,982 times
I'm thinking of moving to Austin from Raleigh, but did not realize you guys have scorpions there. I am horribly afraid of spiders here and have been battling them forever!! I thought scorpions were a west texas and desert arizona, new mexico issue?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,278,852 times
One crawled out of the overflow drain a while back while my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink. She took it surprisingly well.

Just a fact of life here, we are used to them now. Squash them as quickly as possible!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM

73 posts, read 78,067 times
We had one in the bathroom not to long ago a flip flop was very effective lol.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,230,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Austin from Raleigh, but did not realize you guys have scorpions there. I am horribly afraid of spiders here and have been battling them forever!! I thought scorpions were a west texas and desert arizona, new mexico issue?
One thing to keep in mind is that these aren't Indiana Jones sized scorpions. These are little scorpions that have a sting similar to being stung by a wasp. It would only be a real issue if you had an allergic reaction.

Also, it really depends on where you live. I haven't seen a single scorpion at my house in the Round Rock/Cedar Park area, but I've seen a bunch at my parents' house in Georgetown. It's really a neighborhood by neighborhood thing. Scorpions aren't crawling all over every inch of the Austin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin