Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,610,363 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it is legal to collect rocks/stones that can be found on the side of local roads?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM

110 posts, read 245,207 times
That's called "ditch rock." I have a few tons of it lining my home. Don't move anything that looks like it was placed there.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
That's called "ditch rock." I have a few tons of it lining my home. Don't move anything that looks like it was placed there.
Thanks. We are starting the process of collecting local stone to build our slipform stone house. There are a lot of small country roads everywhere but I figured I ask before I start loading up my pickup with free building material

Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,926 times
It is illegal to collect rocks (or anything else) from any State or county parks or preserves (or federal, but we don't have much of that.) I believe that includes rocks from rivers.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It is illegal to collect rocks (or anything else) from any State or county parks or preserves (or federal, but we don't have much of that.) I believe that includes rocks from rivers.
That would make sense. So it is not illegal to collect rocks found next to county roads? Who would even be in charge of this?

OD

Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,032,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
That would make sense. So it is not illegal to collect rocks found next to county roads? Who would even be in charge of this?

OD
You could pull pool permits and see who is building a pool in the area. They will be digging out tons of limestone.

At the corner of yaupon and spicewood springs there is a ton of rock from where some houses were built that has just been sitting there for almost two years.

You could probably ask the homeowners if you could have it as it is an eyesore.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,439,979 times
There's some excavation going on 'up here' across from the Lakeline train station...it looks like 80% rock and 20% 'dirt' . Hard to believe they have to dig through that mess. I'm sure it's going somewhere...don't know how to divert it to your project.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM

578 posts, read 1,220,662 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if it is legal to collect rocks/stones that can be found on the side of local roads?
I would tread lightly if I were you...while I can't say for a fact that the land on the side of a county road is private, I do know that if a road is abandoned, the property reverts back to the abutting landowners. I'm sure there are places where the county actually owns the strip of land, but even then, the county isn't going to let you take things off their land (well, if the were to catch you in the act). Private landowners may or may not be too happy to see you doing this. I know some that wouldn't give a darn, and may even help you, but I know others that are pretty protective (especially in the granite areas of the Hill Country).

Texas Transportation Code - Section 251.058. Closing, Abandoning, And Vacating Public Road - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

How much rock do you need? What size/type?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
I would tread lightly if I were you...while I can't say for a fact that the land on the side of a county road is private, I do know that if a road is abandoned, the property reverts back to the abutting landowners. I'm sure there are places where the county actually owns the strip of land, but even then, the county isn't going to let you take things off their land (well, if the were to catch you in the act). Private landowners may or may not be too happy to see you doing this. I know some that wouldn't give a darn, and may even help you, but I know others that are pretty protective (especially in the granite areas of the Hill Country).

Texas Transportation Code - Section 251.058. Closing, Abandoning, And Vacating Public Road - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

How much rock do you need? What size/type?
Thank you for the information! I need quite a lot, I am aiming to build a slipform stone home on my own, it is roughly 50% stone, 50% concrete. I have a 5 acre lot and it has rock on it but I am not sure how much. I am definitely going to need more than what I have.

Thanks!
OD

Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,353,994 times
Quote:
As long as the area does not extend into the median area of a parking lot entry, it should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin