Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM

75 posts, read 282,203 times

Advertisements

I've been a bit aggravated lately by the state of my restlessness. If I list my likes and dislikes concerning Austin or my ideal city, would someone be able to give me a suggestion of where to live in the future? For this exercise, please assume that jobs and cost of living will not be an issue.

-be able to walk to grocery stores/markets
-lots of farmers markets/tons of access to organic foods
-warm-ish summery climates
-intelligent residents
-art museums/art culture
-Austin-like laid-back but yet still city-ish feel

Dislikes:
-liberal use of marijuana/smoking/other drugs
-high quantities of homeless people
-unmotivated attitudes
-high poor (not high unemployed, necessarily) populations
-high crime rates
-bad school systems
-pretentious personalities (including some Dallas personalities, if you know what I'm implying here)

So, where would I be happiest? Another region of Austin? Round Rock? California? Help, please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
For this exercise, please assume that jobs and cost of living will not be an issue.
I can give you an idea of the areas in CA that would fit your desires. Coastal San Diego (North County) fits your description very well. Areas like Carlsbad, Del Mar, and Encinitas all fit your likes and dislikes fairly well. Poway, Carmel Valley, and even Eastlake in San Diego would probably be a good fit. Some areas of coastal Orange County like San Clemente, Laguna Beach, and Newport Beach would work. Northern CA has some areas that would fit your requirements as well in the South Bay. These areas all have a high cost of housing. I left out some areas with poor public school systems that otherwise would have made my list since that was on your dislikes list. However, you would probably come across pretentious personalities that you disklike in the Bay Area, Newport Beach, and maybe Del Mar. Of course, that is fairly subjective.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,567 times
Upper East Side of Manhattan if COL and jobs really aren't issues.

Or else one of the nicer parts of Long Island.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
I would repeat the suggestions of the previous 2 responses i.e. Manhattan or San Diego.

If crowded places and aggressive attitude of locals doesn't bother you, then Manhattan is the place to be. Although, there will be plenty of pretentious people there as well.

San Diego is a great city overall, but a bit more laid back.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM

76 posts, read 200,352 times
Well, if climate wasn't an issue, I would suggest Burlington, Vermont. We have a lot of the same issues with Austin and I moved from Burlington... I realized pretty quickly that I prefer Burlington. It is a wonderful city, you can walk literally ANYWHERE, an awesome farmer's market on Saturday, great coop market right smack dab in the middle of town (probably walked there every day that I lived in Burlington), fun night life without being too over the top, and it is right on Lake Champlain (absolutely beautiful) so there is also great swimming/boating outdoorsy things to do. Also, the people were the greatest that I have met in my entire life. I am not into the stoner/drug scene either. In fact, it is a HUGE turn off for me, but I had a very large circle of friends in BTV that were not involved with any sort of drugs...where as here, finding friends that aren't into drugs has been next to impossible (at least imo). I truly do miss it there. I'll probably be heading back to Vermont sometime next year. If you don't mind a heavy winter and a BEAUTIFUL 4 seasons, I would def check it out!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
If climate wasn't an issue, I would suggest Portland OR. I grew up there and it has what you're looking for ("Portlandia" is all true!). If you'd be able to scale back your expectations and think 70F qualified as "warm-ish" (with one week over 90 where they all fall apart because it's so-oooo hot), Portland might just be the place. Austin keeps wanting to be Portland for some strange reason, so why not just go to the original.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Museum district area of Houston! Montrose, Rice Village, etc.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I was going to suggest this area as I have friends that live on the edge of Montrose who love it there. When they do have to drive somewhere, it's normally just a quick 5 minute drive. I think it fits all the Op's likes, but unfortunately, it also fits a lot of the dislikes from what I've seen there (crime, schools, poor, homeless). I still think it would definitely be an area to visit and to consider.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
I've been a bit aggravated lately by the state of my restlessness. If I list my likes and dislikes concerning Austin or my ideal city, would someone be able to give me a suggestion of where to live in the future? For this exercise, please assume that jobs and cost of living will not be an issue.

-be able to walk to grocery stores/markets
-lots of farmers markets/tons of access to organic foods
-warm-ish summery climates
-intelligent residents
-art museums/art culture
-Austin-like laid-back but yet still city-ish feel

Dislikes:
-liberal use of marijuana/smoking/other drugs
-high quantities of homeless people
-unmotivated attitudes
-high poor (not high unemployed, necessarily) populations
-high crime rates
-bad school systems
-pretentious personalities (including some Dallas personalities, if you know what I'm implying here)

So, where would I be happiest? Another region of Austin? Round Rock? California? Help, please and thank you.
Is drug use really that much of a problem here? I see it occasionally but it certainly isn't everywhere all the time, and it certainly hasn't impacted my life in any way. This isn't a sarcastic question, but I'm just curious to hear more from your perspective. I am also surprise by your point on unmotivated attitudes. From the high cost of living (relatively) and high amount of wealth in this town I wouldn't call Austin unmotivated, laid back, but certainly not unmotivated. I also think there are pretty good schools (Eanes, Westwood and feeder schools, Lake Travis, Anderson and feeder schools, etc.). I won't live in Dallas b/c of those personalities and don't seem to find them here for the most part. I live in Bee Cave and work for a local corporation, but do spend quite a bit of time downtown, central and south Austin.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I was going to suggest this area as I have friends that live on the edge of Montrose who love it there. When they do have to drive somewhere, it's normally just a quick 5 minute drive. I think it fits all the Op's likes, but unfortunately, it also fits a lot of the dislikes from what I've seen there (crime, schools, poor, homeless). I still think it would definitely be an area to visit and to consider.
I also have friends in that Museum/Montrose/Rice area of Houston who love it. I always have a great time visiting too. Intelligent peeps (Rice Univ, Texas Med Cntr), pretty laid-back, tons of culture, artsy.
Crime seems low in that immediate area, but don't venture to the Gulfton or Fondren areas I'm told. Not sure about the schools, homeless, etc. though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin