Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsoncd View Post
Hmm... now that you mentioned it, maybe that is what he was asking for. I guess I was just assuming he wanted to grill it himself, now I need clarification! He just said he wanted some beef brisket from
Yeah, better check on that. You can't just throw a brisket on the grill. It's an 8-12 hour smoking process to make TX BBQ brisket! Grill it and you have shoe leather.

I think I agree that he probably would want the already-smoked BBQ brisket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,462 times
Yeah, it would be weird that he ask for an uncooked brisket, since that is just a slab of meat and can be purchased at any grocery store or butcher where he lives (and will likely be from Texas). Maybe he's asking for cooked brisket.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
If a barbecue fan asks someone to bring them a "brisket" from Texas, I can't imagine they want uncooked meat. You can buy an uncooked beef brisket almost anywhere that sells beef. There is no reason to think what HEB sells is better than what they can get in Tennessee. What they can't get in Tennessee is a brisket cooked Texas style.

I would call a Rudy's. Ask them how much a whole brisket costs. Maybe ask them for a trimmed one, but unsliced. Might want to get a "moist" one because the extra fat would help the meat when reheated after it arrives at its destination.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

40 posts, read 221,200 times
Awesome, I'm so glad I posted here! Thanks for the help guys I will be checking out some of the places you suggested.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Does anyone know if the Rudy's in Round Rock sells out of brisket in the morning?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Rudy's in Round Rock sells out of brisket in the morning?
I imagine Rudy's would know.

But honestly, it's not very far from Rudy's to Salt Lick (next to Dell Diamond) and I'd recommend Salt Lick over Rudy's. Rudy's is good but Salt Lick is gooder.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Oh, I thought Salt Lick was only in Driftwood and the airport.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 37,245 times
Quote:
Oh, I thought Salt Lick was only in Driftwood and the airport.
I have friends who swear that The Salt Lick in Driftwood is the best BBQ in Texas (disagree at your own peril), but they don't believe the one in Round Rock is on par with the one in Driftwood. The Yelp rating site reflects this as well, 4.5 stars vs 3.5 stars. My suggestion is Louie Mueller in Taylor, which is 15 minutes east of The Salt Lick in RR. They're highly regarded by BBQ snobs and have a James Beard award to back it up. Go early as they do run out of BBQ.

Texas Monthly: Louie Mueller BBQ

Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab64 View Post
I have friends who swear that The Salt Lick in Driftwood is the best BBQ in Texas (disagree at your own peril), but they don't believe the one in Round Rock is on par with the one in Driftwood. The Yelp rating site reflects this as well, 4.5 stars vs 3.5 stars. My suggestion is Louie Mueller in Taylor, which is 15 minutes east of The Salt Lick in RR. They're highly regarded by BBQ snobs and have a James Beard award to back it up. Go early as they do run out of BBQ.

Texas Monthly: Louie Mueller BBQ
How early do they usually run out?

They have a pick-up service, so that should save a piece for me until I get there, I assume.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
How early do they usually run out?

They have a pick-up service, so that should save a piece for me until I get there, I assume.
Make sure to tell them that you are going to travel and take it somewhere for eating later, so they don't cut it up and make it dry. They'll probably know the best way to store or pack it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin