Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:38 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times

Advertisements

Howdy, we are heading to Shreveport next week and google maps gives us three routes. Does anyone have experience with this trip. All start out on I-35 but the options are taking TX 31 East or US 84 and finally I-20 which adds an additional 40 miles to the trip.

I'd like to avoid two lane highways. Does anyone know anything about these routes? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
We've made this trip at least a dozen times in the almost 4 years we've been here. Both times I tried staying on 35 to meet I-20, there was nasty traffic/construction pretty much from Waco north. It's not horrible when the road is clear, but we've not seen it clear for the entire trip north.

Did the 31 trip a couple of times but 79 has become our 'default' route. Unless we have a reason to start somewhere other than north Austin, 79 is likely our chosen route from now on. There's a fair amount of two-lane highway but it moves nicely as long as you're not passing through the small towns...some passing lane stretches to allow passing of slower traffic(although most of the big rigs run the speed limit or a touch above).

I didn't hate any of the routes(except when the nav sent us in some wacky direction through Tyler...the 'by-pass' is much better).

Depending on where in Shreveport you are headed, I'd pick up I-20 as soon as you can...it runs pretty smooth until you reach the city(when we are continuing eastbound, I prefer the by-pass around Shreveport...the I-20 drive through town is depressing to me, for some reason.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
We've made this trip at least a dozen times in the almost 4 years we've been here. Both times I tried staying on 35 to meet I-20, there was nasty traffic/construction pretty much from Waco north. It's not horrible when the road is clear, but we've not seen it clear for the entire trip north.
I'd take that route. I drove to Dallas and back about a month ago and IH35 wasn't bad. The shorter routes look shorter on the map, but those small town start/stop and getting stuck behind slow drivers nullify the miles savings.

That said, if you're a mellow driver, with plenty of extra time to take the slow route, it might be ok. I've come around to thinking freeways, for better or worse, offer the best odds of predictable timing and lower hassle driving.

Steve

Old 05-26-2012, 10:05 PM

399 posts, read 974,133 times
I haven't been to S'port in a long time, but in the past I've usually just taken I-35 to Dallas, and then I-20 into S'port. I took 79 once or twice, but it's really not much faster, and driving through all the little towns is a big hassle, IMO.

ETA: it's not that you drive through little towns with lots of stopping and starting, it's just miles and miles of nothing.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM

399 posts, read 974,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I prefer the by-pass around Shreveport...the I-20 drive through town is depressing to me, for some reason.
It's because Shreveport is a depressing city. lol

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
cm4

94 posts, read 256,146 times
I'd take 79 from Round Rock up to outside Shreveport. Enjoy the drive and hit a few DQ's along the way.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm4 View Post
I'd take 79 from Round Rock up to outside Shreveport. Enjoy the drive and hit a few DQ's along the way.
Ha! I am trying to AVOID the Dairy Queens!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
It's the Bush's Chicken(s) I have to look out for!
IF 35 is as clear as steve found, there's no harm in the extra 40 miles or so by staying on the Interstates...nice to keep cruising, even if it's a bit mind-numbing. We always go straight through to Madison, MS; so hitting Shreveport(FINALLY---Dang, Texas is a b-i-g state!) is only two-thirds of our trip . Be glad you don't have to traverse the lovely state of LA. Flatter than a pancake!

I still say if you're not in a hurry and don't want to deal with the traffic around Dallas(too bad the 35 'split' doesn't cut off more of the Dallas area), I'd consider one of the secondary highway routes...unless you are traveling at night...those highways can be seriously dark for miles.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Thanks everyone, I think we are going to stick to the interstates. Did you know 70+% of all traffic fatalities happen on two lane highways even though less than 40% of all miles are traveled on those roads? Now that I've posted that we are sure to die in a fiery car crash on I-35.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Thanks everyone, I think we are going to stick to the interstates. Did you know 70+% of all traffic fatalities happen on two lane highways even though less than 40% of all miles are traveled on those roads? Now that I've posted that we are sure to die in a fiery car crash on I-35.
Yes, please take that route, 79 is horrible. Mainly two lane the whole way, and tons of heavy truck traffic through the whole stretch. Oil/mining/gravel/logging the whole way, plus you can throw in a few slow drivers that won't pull onto the shoulder to let you pass. I drive over 40,000 miles a year all over Texas, and 79 is near the top of my list for worst roads in Texas. Of course, this is during the week when I have driven on this highway, so it may be very different on the weekends....and I usually here about some multiple fatality wreck on 79 several times a year (of course the same could be said for 35 as well). Highest safety standards are on interstate highways...

31 isn't too bad, it is 4 lane most of the way. Big stretches of interstates 35 and 20 are now 75mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin