Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
Having said all this I am considering a Costco membership just for the food court. We eat over there quite often when my Sister makes a Costco run, the prices are dirt cheap.
You probably don't need a membership for just the food court. They don't ask for a membership card there. I would just tell them at the door that you're getting pizza. Many of the Costco food courts in California are outside and definitely don't require membership. I'd check it out here first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2Texas View Post
Do you really find that wine is much cheaper at Costco? All of the brands that I buy at HEB they have for the same price at Costco. I do like that they have the ratings on many more of the wines though.
The wines I like are several dollars less per bottle at Costco vs. HEB.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM

67 posts, read 164,210 times
Thumbs up Another Costco addict here

Costco has a great reputation for meats! I know the one in Plano (near Dallas) supplies one of the most reputable restaurants in the area. For produce, ask an employee when they get their shipments. They usually get 2-3 a week, and if you go on those days, you'll find the best quality. If it's just you, you might not go that route on things that go bad quickly. Even with kids, my family can't always get through a package of lettuce or other produce before it starts to turn, however, the prices are usually worthwhile even if some doesn't get used. Quality is well worth it, too. The cheese selection is decent, and they will sometimes have traveling events with specialty cheeses or meats. There are a lot of really good choices for frozen foods, including meats and produce.

Other people have mentioned the electronics, and it's very true! I absolutely regret buying a DVD player for the car at Walmart instead of Costco around the holidays. We bought it for a trip and it broke on the way back, but we had exceeded the 15 day return policy. We had to send it to the manufacturer at our own expense to be repaired. Not at all worth the "savings" we thought we were getting there. Had it been Costco, I could have taken it back within 90 days. We've bought TVs and furniture there, too. It would be amazing if they delivered, but oh well.

Anyway, definitely try it out, go with a buddy or ask the membership counteer for a tour. I think they did do away with the trial passes, though. Oh, and it's good to know before you go, the only credit card they take is American Express. Debit is accepted, and checks and cash. The check policy is a bit strict, but you know, these days, there are a lot of bad ones, so I don't blame them. I did finally sign up for the Amex card that they offer and I like it. I used one of their "perks" recently to buy concert tickets before they were on sale to the general public. Big, big perk!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
The wines I like are several dollars less per bottle at Costco vs. HEB.
Does Costco offer a 10% discount on 6 bottles or more? I know many of the other stores in Austin do...DW has cut back considerably and doesn't go for the 'half-dozen' discount nowadays. Just wonderin'

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 AM

182 posts, read 694,016 times
The amount of cashback with Costco Amex will cover membership cost....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 27,012 times
Costco adds 15% max to the wholesale prices on all items in the store. Grocery stores typically add 35-40%. If you don't mind bulk, you'll usually save quite a bit. I have seen some fruit cost more at Costco than HEB, but the quality is always high. We always get our coffee, wine, meats, cheeses and cereals at Costco. I read where the average spent by all Costco customers is $315 per visit. Amazing!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
No Costco does not offer case discounts. HEB does. But I still think the savings at Costco are better.

Serge, you got that right on the Costco American Express. We earn so much cash back it is embarrassing -- but we charge everything we possibly can and pay it off every month.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM

464 posts, read 803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
From the description:

"This CNBC Original documentary also explores a “Costco Effect,” the routine tendency of its members to succumb to the store’s discount-chic allure and spend more than they expect, often buying more than they need."
That comes as no surprise, sadly. Today's modern culture equates quantity with quality and value. "Gee, it's cheaper AND I can get more! It must be a good deal!" Uhhh...no. I've even seen friends and neighbors buy something they didn't need simply because it was on sale and "cheap." And some of them never even use the item they purchased!

We used to buy a fair portion of our groceries at Costco and were always saddened to have to discard items that, bought in bulk, had spoiled before we could eat them. Then we had the added frustration of finding a product that we liked only to not find it the next time we went to Costco. If we asked what happened to it, we'd get the "Oh, we stopped carrying that..." reply from store staff.

We now buy at Costco only certain consumables in bulk and perhaps gas unless we're going to New Braunfel's farmers market then we buy gas at Buc-ee's.

So for us, Costco is primarily a prescription, bulk cleaners, household goods and occasional food item (Eggs for example) but not for wines. We've found better prices at Spec's and elsewhere online.

HEB is no longer the primary source for our groceries as we've become fans of local farmers markets and buy 90% of our meats, dairy and vegetables there. As a foodie, I still have to go to Central Market and buy certain items there. Because they're hard to find items, I pay what they're charging.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 PM

182 posts, read 694,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post

HEB is no longer the primary source for our groceries as we've become fans of local farmers markets and buy 90% of our meats, dairy and vegetables there. As a foodie, I still have to go to Central Market and buy certain items there. Because they're hard to find items, I pay what they're charging.
Oh! Right on spot! Here, in Maryland we are always getting fresh vegetables from farms. So, we are moving to Austin, and I'd love to find out about local farms and orchards around Austin! I would appreciate any hints

Old 06-10-2012, 01:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeL View Post
I'd love to find out about local farms and orchards around Austin! I would appreciate any hints

Here's a good starting place. This non-profit runs four farmers markets around town, and has info on other related orgs. Austin Farmers Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: