Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

Hello; Everyone.

I was hoping to get feed back on the Austin area. I have been doing research myself via internet and I think I am over searching this. Between the crime reports and the many forms I have read, I am more confused now than I was before I got started. I am originally from Ohio and moved to Texas to help my son and his wife with my granddaughters.

Now they are considering moving to Austin (to be honest I welcome the change to city life). My only concern is (from reading the many forms) there seem to be racial tension there (which is shocking because I thought Austin was a very liberal city). It only concerns me because I have two beautiful granddaughters 8 and 1.The kids are bi-racial and I want them to stay innocent as long as they possibly can.

So if anyone can give me any info on the neighborhoods and schools there I would ever be so grateful. Thank you for taking time to respond to my inquiry. Have a great and blessed day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
I do not agree that racial tension is a big issue in Austin. Over the last few years there have been some high profile incidents involving the police and some African Americans. My opinion is that there is plenty of blame to go around. The police made some mistakes. Some in the AA community have refused to acknowledge that the people involved made it difficult for the police. Others may have a different perspective.

On a day to day basis, people of all kinds in Austin get along.

As for neighborhoods, others will surely ask questions such as budget, commute, lifestyle preferred, etc.

Austin is not a "very" liberal city. Austin is not like Portland, San Francisco, or Berkeley. Austin is probably liberal compared to the rest of Texas.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM

64 posts, read 131,354 times
Well Austin may not be as big of a city as you have lived in but it is 1.8 Million and growing annually at 70,000 people per year, most cities will grow 70,000 people in 10 years. Also it is the fastest growing metro of over 1 million people. So if you want to experience austin before it comes a cosmopolitan city, it is only a few years from potentially being up in the 2.5-3 million people area. This of corse takes in the accounts of major suburbs (Round Rock, Cedar Park, San Marcos)

With that being said, Austin is very liberal, especially the more downtown you get. Zip codes 78701, 78702, 78703, 78704,78705,78756, 78757 are all very liberal. However when you venture out in the suburbs you will find many more conservatives. Zip Codes like 78746, 78613 (Cedar Park) and many more are much more conservative.

Crime within the city is mostly located more central. Downtown (78701) would be the most crime. East, Northeast, and southeast Austin are all a little more crime filled. Though some argue not dangerous they are more so than say west austin, northwest austin, or southwest austin. Also you are looking for good schools and areas where the highest crime is, also where you find the worst schools.

In AISD you find 4 high schools I would think of sending my kids to: Anderson, McCallum, Austin high, and Bowie. Most likely Anderson or Bowie. All four of the high schools, because the district has 7 other less highly rated high schools, do receive a large influx of transfers (mostly McCallum and Austin high) but if they are in the right social environment anyone can succeed at any of those schools. Eanes ISD is extremely pricy (with the average home price in that school district over 1 million). Also to be mentioned the four AISD schools i mentioned can also be pricy but worth looking at. Our suburban school districts of Leander ISD and Round Rock ISD are filled with great schools (Westwood, McNiel, Cedar Park High, Vista ridge, ect) and you can find something in your price range no matter what. Though the suburban school district areas are much more conservative and that is the highest area of where people are moving so you will see tons of new developments going on out there.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
Where did you get the figure that Eanes ISD homes averaged > $1M?

According to this real estate site the average home in Eanes ISD sold for just over $700K. Still pricey of course.

Austin School Performance and Property Value - Sam Chapman

Eanes ISD and Lake Travis ISD carry the highest ratings in the Austin area. Both districts, and almost all of their campuses, are rated Exemplary. That doesn't tell the whole story of course. There are many fine campuses in the Austin area, especially in Round Rock and Leander ISD.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,553 times
The average price of a home currently up for sale in the Eanes ISD is above $1 million. While the average price of a home sold this year in the Eanes ISD is probably around $700,000

Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM

326 posts, read 683,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Where did you get the figure that Eanes ISD homes averaged > $1M?

According to this real estate site the average home in Eanes ISD sold for just over $700K. Still pricey of course.

Austin School Performance and Property Value - Sam Chapman

Eanes ISD and Lake Travis ISD carry the highest ratings in the Austin area. Both districts, and almost all of their campuses, are rated Exemplary. That doesn't tell the whole story of course. There are many fine campuses in the Austin area, especially in Round Rock and Leander ISD.
Thanks for that link Hoffdano! That's some very interesting information.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM

239 posts, read 517,207 times
And where'd you get 1.8 million?....2010 census states just under 800k (and btw Travis county as a whole...about 1 mil).
http://www.census.gov/popfinder/

Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,350,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
And where'd you get 1.8 million?....2010 census states just under 800k (and btw Travis county as a whole...about 1 mil).
2010 Demographic Profile
Simple. That same census tells us the Austin metro area is nearly 1.8 million.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,261,615 times
You have been misinformed sir. Only a small part of Austin is liberal (by Texas standards). The vast majority of metro Austin is very conservative dispite what the media may tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsettledsettler View Post
Hello; Everyone.

I was hoping to get feed back on the Austin area. I have been doing research myself via internet and I think I am over searching this. Between the crime reports and the many forms I have read, I am more confused now than I was before I got started. I am originally from Ohio and moved to Texas to help my son and his wife with my granddaughters.

Now they are considering moving to Austin (to be honest I welcome the change to city life). My only concern is (from reading the many forms) there seem to be racial tension there (which is shocking because I thought Austin was a very liberal city). It only concerns me because I have two beautiful granddaughters 8 and 1.The kids are bi-racial and I want them to stay innocent as long as they possibly can.

So if anyone can give me any info on the neighborhoods and schools there I would ever be so grateful. Thank you for taking time to respond to my inquiry. Have a great and blessed day

Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,389,831 times
And "liberal" or "conservative" or green party, alien, evangelical, etc. All will not give a rats behind about a biracial couple with kids.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-15-2012 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Edited objectional name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin