U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,078,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
Personally, I'd never live in Williamson County... I've had more than enough of the 'police county' living in Irvine, CA. Commuter extortion is big business... and if you're lucky enough to escape the predatory law enforcement, the toll roads will get ya either way. Screw all that!!!
Williamson County is nothing compared to Irvine. They don't even have convenience stores in Irvine because they don't want a place for the skater kids to hang out. Irvine is the only place that I've ever received a traffic ticket in my life. Coincidentally, I did break the law, but it was basically changing lanes without having my blinker on for long enough. I've seen people flip u-turns on 620 over 4 solid yellow lines right in front of police cars here without the police in Williamson County reacting at all. I actually wish the police in Williamson County would stop more people for traffic violations.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 PM

293 posts, read 257,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interestingly, I've lived in Williamson County for about 15 years now, commuting to Austin often (both my husband on a daily basis and myself regularly), and have yet to experience the "commuter extortion" that you speak of.

Wonder if you're speaking from personal experience or just parroting some rumor you've heard?
Not Parroting the rumor. My GF and I were well aware of the speed traps b/c of family we have in RR near Dell Campus. Also its no secret that the toll roads are expensive and the money goes to an offshore global corporation.

Also I've heard (yes hearsay so perhaps its a fallacy) from a few people all kinds of stories... like a guy getting arrested at the Tool show at Cedar Park Center for have a small amount of pot while they were tailgating. I don't smoke at all anymore, but really... IMO for something like that the cops should just take it away and give them warning. A ticket would MAYBE be heavy handed... an arrest is horrifying and absolutely unnecessary. I honestly feel that same type of thing wouldn't happen in Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Coincidentally, I did break the law, but it was basically changing lanes without having my blinker on for long enough.
haha same exact thing happened to me. Ticket for "unsafe lane change". It was $180 and I had to go to traffic school. I can tell you my stories about Irvine... I spent a lot of time there.

Back to the topic at hand, it seems that every apartment complex raises rents, but 25%+ is silly.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM

493 posts, read 559,820 times
I disagree with the view that a 25% increase is silly. There are lots of renters and not so many rentals. Prices go up to whatever the market will bear.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM

44 posts, read 39,429 times
My 2 BR/2 BA went from ~$2550 (including move-in specials) to $2850 -- after negotiating back and forth with the building. They originally wanted to raise it to $3050 if I recall correctly. That's on a 12m lease.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
I disagree with the view that a 25% increase is silly. There are lots of renters and not so many rentals. Prices go up to whatever the market will bear.
I'm not a real estate agent or anything, but it seems to me that... well..

Yes, looking at the market value is a good way to get perspective.

To counterpoint, what happens when multiple apartment complexes decided to keep a 20-30% vacancy pending a 25-75% rent increase on second term leasers? We (the renters) vote with our feet and leave.

So it sounds to me like they just trade tenants every year. Who wins in that situation? Are the new Austin arrivals are willing to pay high tiered rental rates for the same value as what was 1/3rd of the price only a year ago? I guess that depends how many are coming from expensive cities like Boston and San Diego.

But yes, if the supply side maintains high prices, is willing to accept higher vacancy rates, and new arrivals continue to occupy overpriced apartments with poor reviews... well I guess that makes living in apartments a less attractive option.

Moderator cut: Plese, lets use some less offensive, realistic terms.

We gotta stay mobile or leave

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-05-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM

8,456 posts, read 16,797,173 times
Well, we are about done with our mortgage (15 yr refi in 2002) and are paying just a couple hundred more than your apts are proposing (prior to our taxes). Our taxes are just under $500/month. Our elec and water bills are very reasonable, not sure what your issues on those are -you are paying them now, via rent. True, apts have been a deal for years, but they are more in balance now, or heading that way.

Anyway, in 5 years, we will be paying probably $600 a month for our house, wonder where your rent will be?

Ofc, if you are intending on moving around frequently, the closing costs, etc. will play a significant part.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Well, we are about done with our mortgage (15 yr refi in 2002) and are paying just a couple hundred more than your apts are proposing (prior to our taxes). Our taxes are just under $500/month. Our elec and water bills are very reasonable, not sure what your issues on those are -you are paying them now, via rent. True, apts have been a deal for years, but they are more in balance now, or heading that way.

Anyway, in 5 years, we will be paying probably $600 a month for our house, wonder where your rent will be?

Ofc, if you are intending on moving around frequently, the closing costs, etc. will play a significant part.
A Family member has a 3bdrm/2bath in RR. Purchased about 4 years ago.. no idea how much BUT i'd guess around 150K.

Foundation cracked from the heat last summer and needs repair. AC has gone out 2x, rodents (big rats) in the neighbors backyard and they are arguing how to handle that.. etc. Water bill went up to around $300ish last summer or something like that. Throw in the water restrictions and you got a dead lawn and dead backyard. Mortgage + Taxes is around $1000 a month I imagine... haven't asked. But its safe to say there's been around 10K in repairs and upgrades over the years.

BUT you bought your house 15 years ago, and so you're almost done with the mortgage and perhaps your property value has increased. Yep, I'll lose on the rent costs, no doubt. And you get equity. So... meh.. If I need repairs or have serious issues, I can make a phone call and pay nothing extra.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,068,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
So... meh.. If I need repairs or have serious issues, I can make a phone call and pay nothing extra.
...And hope you don't have a landlord like the folks who are living out on the streets and motels like those from those apartment complexes with the collapsed walkways, who will have to wait another two months before they can "maybe" return back to their homes.

If your friends aren't maintaining their foundation (i.e. watering around the house with soaker hoses when it's hot and dry) then YES there will be foundation issues.

Dogfood and trash in a backyard will attract rats. Remove any food/trash - rats will leave.

My water bill is combined with my trash bill - I paid about $55 last month for my bill - and that included the extra watering around the house to maintain my foundation. Two days a week is the watering "restrictions" for RR - enough to keep the grass green enough.

My house is 3/2 and purchased in RR in 2008.

So far, so good - the A/C is still running great!

I used to be a renter and for many years, I figured it was time to finally own my own place once I was able to afford one.

And I agree, it's nice to be able to pick up the phone and call the landlord when something breaks down.

But then again it's also nice have my monthly mortgage payments lower than the going rents around here. Yikes.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,357,709 times
Rents are high right now because students are moving back into town for UT. After September the rents will go back down (usually). That's the way it's always worked in Austin. IDK about this year though since it's been written that there is a shortage of housing.

I'm glad I have my place.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 AM

8,456 posts, read 16,797,173 times
Six or seven years ago, my brother in law (who is a financial manager) told me how screwed up the mortgage situation was and also told me he thought the day of reckoning was not far off. He put all this in his little monthly newsletter, and as part of that analysis he indicated that rents would soon be going up. He did a quite thorough analysis (is is a bit OCD) on historical rent rates vs mortgage rates/home prices and some other financial mumbo jumbo. I think he may have even underestimated rental prices a bit. I really need to see if he has an old copy of that newsletter, it is almost like a newspaper article written about the mortgage collapse, except written before it happened. I do believe he is doing quite well with the investments he made in rental property. I really should have listened to him and kept my old house in N. Austin when I got married and rented it out. Even after the recent downturn, it is still appraised ~30% over what I sold it for in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin