Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 PM

65 posts, read 134,956 times

Advertisements

I bought a home in Austin in 2007 at the height of the market. Two months after I purchased my house, the housing market stalled and my home eventually lost about 10% in value. The house didn't actually lose this amount, because I didn't sell it, but had I sold it, I would have taken a 10% loss, if that makes sense. I lived in the house for 21 months. In that time I met a man, we dated, we fell in love, we got married. He did not want to live in my home. So, we bought a home together and I turned my home into a rental property.

Each year my property manager raised the rent $1200 annually ($100 per month). Each year the old tenant left and a new tenant arrived. Each year I worried about what damage the tenant would do, what would break in the house, what would need replacement, whether or not the tenant would pay the rent timely, who would the tenant move into the house breaking the paragraph in the lease that discusses this, and what pets the tenant would sneak into the home.

Despite all of the maintenance, property management commissions, and other expenses, I managed to make a profit on the rental. I did not make a lot. Certainly I could have invested my money more wisely than investing in a home that turned out to be a rental property.

This year the market changed. The house appreciated in value. I sold the house. The profit from the years of rental combined with the appreciation in value covered the closing costs. I basically got my investment back after owning the home for 5 years.

This means that I lived for 21 months in that house and it cost me nothing other than utilities, and real estate taxes for 21 month. Had I rented the same house for 21 months it would have cost in excess of $30K just for the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM

44 posts, read 100,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto View Post
I bought a home in Austin in 2007 at the height of the market. Two months after I purchased my house, the housing market stalled and my home eventually lost about 10% in value. The house didn't actually lose this amount, because I didn't sell it, but had I sold it, I would have taken a 10% loss, if that makes sense. I lived in the house for 21 months. In that time I met a man, we dated, we fell in love, we got married. He did not want to live in my home. So, we bought a home together and I turned my home into a rental property.

Each year my property manager raised the rent $1200 annually ($100 per month). Each year the old tenant left and a new tenant arrived. Each year I worried about what damage the tenant would do, what would break in the house, what would need replacement, whether or not the tenant would pay the rent timely, who would the tenant move into the house breaking the paragraph in the lease that discusses this, and what pets the tenant would sneak into the home.

Despite all of the maintenance, property management commissions, and other expenses, I managed to make a profit on the rental. I did not make a lot. Certainly I could have invested my money more wisely than investing in a home that turned out to be a rental property.

This year the market changed. The house appreciated in value. I sold the house. The profit from the years of rental combined with the appreciation in value covered the closing costs. I basically got my investment back after owning the home for 5 years.

This means that I lived for 21 months in that house and it cost me nothing other than utilities, and real estate taxes for 21 month. Had I rented the same house for 21 months it would have cost in excess of $30K just for the rent.
A few thoughts,
- I would consider worrying about tenants a very real cost even if it's not in dollars and cents.
- You also took on a significant risk of either increases or decreases in value that renters do not. Few rational people would invest in any single asset (except for their house) that has such a high risk relative to their net worth

Finally, without any deep analysis let's assume your house is worth ~$200,000 (given a monthly rent of ~$1,500 that you allude to) your cost of money (borrowed or could have invested) may have been ~5% or ~$10,000 a year. Add on property taxes and some maintenance costs it doesn't sound free.

There's certainly advantages to home ownership, but it's not quite as rosy (at least to me) as real estate agents somtimes makes it seem. Granted, in a growing town like Austin is at the moment it probably works out for a lot of folks

Anyway... each to their own.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
After renting apartments and rooms out of houses for about 20 years, all I can say is that it's really cool to own my own home finally. Going on 4.5 years now!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,242 times
A third option could be buying a small house....a really small house (I'll admit I didn't look up mortage rates for such dwellings but they've got to be cheaper than those for a "typical" home):

"11 Small Eco Homes That Live Large"

The Ikea here in Houston has a six hundred square foot "home" inside the store and for two people I thought it would be pretty comfortable (the kitchen includes full-sized appliances and lots of counter space, though the bathroom only had a a shower stall i.e. no tub).

Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Great idea, but many city codes mandate a certain size single family dwelling. i.e. Cedar Park is 1100 sf (I think - pretty sure, and likely depends on zoning)

Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,242 times
^ whoa, didn't know that. I wonder if it has something to do with preserving the look of the area the house will be part of.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 AM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
renters almost always overextend themselves - they pay as much rent as they can afford - just like they would treat a house. Those who can't commit to owndership, or live within their means are on course for long term wealth destruction.
Ya.

Americans saw wealth plummet 40 percent from 2007 to 2010, Federal Reserve says

"The median value of Americans’ stake in their homes fell by 42 percent between 2007 and 2010, to $55,000, according to the Fed."

Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM

118 posts, read 296,150 times
Do the property managers do prepaid leases in the Austin area? We are looking to rent, but would like to put a lump sum payment for the full 12 months down. Although our credit is good, it is from out of country so I don't know how they would be able to do a credit check.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Without a doubt they will. Money in hand trumps credit every time.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2tex View Post
Do the property managers do prepaid leases in the Austin area? We are looking to rent, but would like to put a lump sum payment for the full 12 months down. Although our credit is good, it is from out of country so I don't know how they would be able to do a credit check.
Unless your intent is to bargain down the monthly payment, why would you want to drop that much cash up front?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin