Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM

14 posts, read 23,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are born and raised in Hawaii. We have 3 boys (10, 9, 7) and a princess (5) ...We are thinking about moving next summer because of how expensive it is to live in Hawaii, the schools are not the greatest, the homes are sooooo close together(I can hear my neighbor flush their toilet), opportunities are very limited, and the list can go on. We are looking at the Austin-Round Rock area to move. It seems really pretty there and I like that there are tons of stuff for my family to do besides the beach (going to the beach ALL the time gets really old, especially when that's pretty much all there is to do here) We need to be within a reasonable distance to an airport because that's where my husband would work...How is the drive to Austin international airport from Round Rock? Can my husband ride his motorcycle? If you live there and are a family of six, how much are your monthly expenses (i know everyone is different but a ball park figure would be nice)?
In Hawaii my basic monthly bills are as follows:
Electric-$350
water/sewer-$150
telephone-$30
internet-$45
cable-$70
cells-$150
gas for van-$300-$350
food-$800 (groceries)
How does your bills differ/compare? We don't have really different weather so this is what we pay year round unless they raise prices which they will be doing soon with water/sewer charges, again...who know's what else!!! Sick and tired of struggling to survive...Hawaii, paradise??? I don't think so...not my paradise anymore!!

Last edited by free2b-us; 06-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: thought of something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
These aren't tallied for a year or anything but:
Electric: usually $100 or less
Water/sewer: $60
Telephone, Internet, cable:about the same as you
Cells: maybe $100
Gas for my mid sized suv: abt. $62 each fillup
food: family of 3, on my heavy shopping day, can run ant $150....$50 if I'm just shopping for this and that.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Thank you love roses
Your overall bills seem much lower...I love it!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM

47 posts, read 73,889 times
My guess is that you'd end up paying around half of what you're spending in Hawaii (depending on how much you'll drive, how big of a house you buy, etc). You'll probably end up spending more on activities here if that's the main reason why you're moving. The fees for after school and indoor activities might add up quickly for four kids that don't have a free beach to visit in the year-round perfect weather.

You said that you were born and raised in Hawaii? Why is it that you want to move so far away. I'm assuming that you have family there- why not set your target to somewhere on the west coast so that you can visit more easily?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Hi Bridgebats
I would much rather pay for family outings than just bills...I am a stay at home mom and will be when we move also...
And you're right, most of our family is here and my kids have lots of cousins to play with. We get together all the time so we are all close. Sure Hawaii has beaches and the weather is nice but that gets old when that is all there is to do. Opportunities are limited and the cost of living terrible. You can't go anywhere because you're surrounded by water and flying is expensive...

Moving will give my kids a better opportunity with more choices. They can experience and get to know new cultures and learn to do other fun things besides the beach...there's a big world out there and if we as a relatively young family can experience at least some of it together before my husband and I get old or my kids grow up, I think, will be an awesome life I don't want to look back and think "We should've moved." I would rather think back and say "we tried" or "moving was the best decision for us"...

The only thing that was keeping us here was our extended family...but my husband and I have to do what we think is best for our children and their future. Living here is not what's best for them anymore...

Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
We live in Round Rock, and everything pretty much compares to yours except electricity and food. Our electricity probably peaks at about $250-$300 in the summer and our grocery bill is probably about $600 for a family of five.

Oh, and our water bill increases a bit in the summer from our sprinkler system. This month, I think water was about $150....but my husband said one of our toilets are leaking. LOL

And I'm warning you....you can't find Spam Musubi anywhere!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
I have to be honest: Texas is not Hawaii. Personally, I think you yourself need to broaden your own horizons and continue with your own education. Some of what you're saying feels like your 'chucking it' on the kids, but really..and that's OK. But, be honest about it. I don't know where your head is at..but, you really would need to visit first. Find out which areas you would vibe with in terms of the atmosphere, people, schools. I wouldn't take anything off the table. You need to be comfortable.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM

38 posts, read 69,732 times
It's easy to get to the airport from Round Rock on the toll road 130, but then again it's a toll. The schools on that side of round rock aren't that great. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a great place to find good schools. A 9 or better is best.....trust me...I taught in an 8. Downtown Austin can be expensive and most send their kids to private schools. However I have heard the "B" schools in sw Austin are ok...Baranoff elem, middle school with a b eludes me and Bowie hs. The West Lake/ Bee Cave area of Austin is great(Eanes Isd district is one of the best). The commute shouldn't be too bad either but the cost might get you. I'm guessing if you are in Hawaii you could afford it. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 PM

49 posts, read 139,301 times
Depending on which side of Round Rock you end up in, you can probably get to the airport around 30-40 minutes (on the toll -- to avoid traffic during peak times). You might want to consider Manor (small town, but not bad at all). It's mid-way between RR and the Airport.

I visited Oahu in March and had a wonderful time but everything was so expensive! The fish was well-priced though! :-)

For our bills in the City of Austin (month of may):

1.) DISH - $71
2.) Time Warner (internet) - $52
3.) COA Utilities - $235 (energy,water,trash)
4.) Gas - $32

That's for a 2800 sq. foot home.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikHenson View Post
It's easy to get to the airport from Round Rock on the toll road 130, but then again it's a toll. The schools on that side of round rock aren't that great. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a great place to find good schools. A 9 or better is best.....trust me...I taught in an 8. Downtown Austin can be expensive and most send their kids to private schools. However I have heard the "B" schools in sw Austin are ok...Baranoff elem, middle school with a b eludes me and Bowie hs. The West Lake/ Bee Cave area of Austin is great(Eanes Isd district is one of the best). The commute shouldn't be too bad either but the cost might get you. I'm guessing if you are in Hawaii you could afford it. Good luck!

You can get on 130 quickly from either side of I35 in Round Rock. I don't know when you lived in Austin or when you left, but 45 is a quick route to 130.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin