Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times

Advertisements

Newmark's parent company filed Chapter 11. Newmark is one of the most succesful builders in Austin. Sorry to rain on your negative parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
I have heard nothing but good things about Streetman.
Also, if looking in the SW area, I looked at Brodie Springs (Brodie just south of Slaughter on the east side). A new development...The people there were also VERY nice and have not hounded me at all even though I left my info. The homes are awesome and the builders (can't remember the name) have been around for a LONG time with other companies and have formed this new one.
Check them out!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
I have heard nothing but good things about Streetman.
Also, if looking in the SW area, I looked at Brodie Springs (Brodie just south of Slaughter on the east side). A new development...The people there were also VERY nice and have not hounded me at all even though I left my info. The homes are awesome and the builders (can't remember the name) have been around for a LONG time with other companies and have formed this new one.
Check them out!
Grand Haven. Those are pretty nice looking houses.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
Default Belterra area

With respect to Belterra you need to be careful about some of the hidden costs around there.

For example, if you are from out of the area, you might not be aware that propane is not economically regulated. This means that the propane vendor can charge you whatever fees it wants to. The theory is that you can change to a different vendor and thus the free market prevails. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case in Belterra. Homeowners do not have the ability to change propane vendors. You might look for propane related restrictions in the CCRs. In particular, look for any requirement to implement propane appliances, any prohibition against buried propane tanks, and any fees you would have to pay to avoid using propane appliances. Don't get me wrong, propane is great so long as your not forced to purchase it at whatever price the vendor unilaterally dictates.

Another item, the CCRs aren't likely to mention monthly account fees in addition to propane consumption fees. You might ask if there are fees in addition to the consumption fees and what those fees are and how they are regulated (hint: they're not regulated at all so the vendor can charge whatever it desires).

By the way, if CCRs are supposedly "contracted" for, why do you think that the CCRs are not posted on the Belterra website? The following claims from the Belterra website with rebuttals:

CREATE LASTING VALUE FOR HOMEOWNER-
If you carefully read the CCRs, you might question whether the value is really being created for the homeowners or whether value to the homeowners is incidental to the value conferred upon the vendors and developer.

GENTLY TEND WHAT NATURE HAS GIVEN US
Well, there is a large pond as an aesthetic amenity. I seem to recall a spraying fountain but I could be mistaken about that. Although it might look neat, this is a sure-fire way to increase the evaporation of a precious resource in the Hill Country and any fountain greatly exacerbates the problem. This type of amenity is not all gently tending to what nature has given you and is frowned upon mightily by the entities regulating water usage in the area.

DISPLAY HIGH STANDARDS OF CITIZENSHIP
This is tied into the last item. Certainly the people outside of Belterra are not fond of Belterra's relentless attempts to dump its wastewater into Bear Creek. Numerous homes and subdivisions border Bear Creek and those individuals aren't particularly impressed with Belterra's definition of "citizenship".

Near Belterra are some other subdivisions. Be a little wary about appearances. Some of those places aren't actually single family homes even though they would appear to the observer to be single family homes. In fact, they are established as condominiums and the laws relating to condominiums in Texas are terrible for homeowners but great for the vendors that feed off of condominium associations.

Don't wait until closing to have the CCRs dumped on you (although the title company might not even provide you a copy at that time, there's no obligation to provide you with a copy of the recorded documents). Demand a copy up front. Also realize, however, that as long as the place is under declarant control, the declarant can usually unilaterally change the CCRs to your detriment (i.e., prohibit activity that was permissible at the time you purchased your property). These developers are all looking for ways to continue making money off of you long after you purchase your home. At least go in with eyes that see beyond the eye-candy sitting on the grass.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 PM

26 posts, read 111,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
For example, if you are from out of the area, you might not be aware that propane is not economically regulated. This means that the propane vendor can charge you whatever fees it wants to. The theory is that you can change to a different vendor and thus the free market prevails.
<sigh...> I know this is a bit off-topic, but I have a hard time letting this go. This statement seems to imply that being required to use a private vendor and pay their fees is somehow worse than being required to purchase the same utility from a government entity. In the case of a private vendor, their fees are absolutely determined by market competition even if they're the only supplier you can use. Such is not the case with government-provided utilities. If government provides a utility its prices are completely arbitrary and totally beyond the control of the consumer.

Any private vendor still has to provide their product or service at a competitive price if for no other reason than because people have the choice of NOT buying propane at all. If your HOA requires that you use propane, however, that's a different issue. Even so, you could get around paying the prices by simply having a tank installed but never having it filled or hooked up to any appliances. Sure, you'd incur the cost of the tank itself, but if you don't use it you don't have to pay for more propane.

By all means, be aware of what you're getting into. Read the documents carefully before you buy. But don't buy into the fallacious argument that private vendors are bad just because they're not regulated. In every case, unregulated industries boast lower prices and higher levels of service than those that are highly regulated.

Stepping down off my soap box now. Thanks for listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin