Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM

28 posts, read 161,773 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find information or a link to information on what the City of Austin ordinance is regarding pets within city limits. Specifically on outdoor cats of which I own two.

thanks,
KZ

Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM

112 posts, read 484,814 times
Here is one link for you http://www.amlegal.com/austin_nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/title3animalregulation/chapter3-2restrictionsonanimals?f=templates$fn=default.htm$ 3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx$anc=JD_3-2-5.
My guess is that someone has complained about your cats? Well, it is in fact illegal to have outdoor cats in Austin. That being said, Animal Control is NOT going to come out to your house and take them. If however, they (cats) go into your neighbors yard and they (neighbors) catch the cats in a box or something, the city will come get them. Then if your cats do not have their rabies tags on, you are looking at a hefty fine! Regardless of if the cats have the shots or not, the law is they must have the tags on at all times.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks. No complaints, my current neighbors love my cats - even feed them. But I'm buying a new house that has HOA rules against outdoor cats. Looks like I may need to back out of the contract if I can't take my cats with me.

Karen

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
I think ours has a rule against outdoor cats, but there are two that are sort of the neighborhood mascots and I don't think anyone has complained (or if they have, nothing has been done...).

Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think ours has a rule against outdoor cats, but there are two that are sort of the neighborhood mascots and I don't think anyone has complained (or if they have, nothing has been done...).
...are the birds complaining?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
I bet the coyotes aren't complaining...

I understand that cats like to be outside, but it's just not safe for the cat.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM

If your HOA does not allow them, you are best not to have them. Our HOA says you cannot have them, yet people do. Those homeowners can, under Texas law, be taken to court over the cats since it is against HOA rules. It does not matter what City Law says about the cats, but the fact is it is illegal to have outdoor cats in the City as well as the neighborhood so just watch yourself.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 AM

My cats, who have spent the last 13 & 16 yrs as indoor/outdoor cats would beg to differ on the safeness of the outdoors.

It's a quality of life issue. If we all wanted to be ultra-safe then we'd too stay inside 24/7 and not get into our cars everyday or go swimming or skiing, all which carry some risk to them, but what quality of life would we have?

I'm a responsible pet owner, my cats are fixed, they are vac'd, and if they ever caused a problem for a neighbor I would address it.

We shouldn't kill off every big cat in the wild should we because they kill prey to eat? It's the natural order of things. Plus my cats are way too old to bring down any birds...they laze around in the sun in my front yard enjoying life - sounds pretty nice!

I'm buying in a new neighborhood within Austin city limits and am lobbying to change the HOA regulations before they are finalized to defer to the city ordinances where they exist to address the same items.

Karen Z

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Ditto on my last cat - way to lazy (and well fed) to bother with birds. He did catch a squirrel once, but hell if I know how...maybe the squirrel thought he was too fat to actually move and tried bouncing on him or something.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM

I for one don't worry about what some big animal is going to do to the cats, I worry about what I may do, or another neighbor for that matter. One of my neighbors cats jump into my Jeep, scratched the heck out of my seats and went to the bathroom inside of it. Let's just say that cat does not come around my house anymore- and no I did not kill it. I do however know a guy in my neighborhood that has killed the outdoor cats before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: