Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times

Advertisements

Who was William Cannon? Braker and Parmer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
William Cannon was an 1836 Battle of San Jacinto hero who owned property in that area. Parmer was most likely Martin Parmer, born in Virginia and lived on the Missouri frontier before it became a state in 1826-1827. He was a leader of the Fredonian Rebellion in the Nacogdoches/San Augustine area. Almost 10 years before the Texas Revolution there was an attempt to declare Texas Independance from Mexico. In 1835, Parmer was elected as a delegate from Teneha to the consultation of 1835 at San Felipe de Austin.
In March 1846, Martin Parmer was elected as the delegate from the San Augustine municipality to the General Convention at Washington on the Brazos. Martin Parmer signed the Declaration of Independance from Mexico. He was chairman of the committee that drafted the Constitution of the Republic of Texas. In 1839, He was appointed Chief Justice of Jasper Co., Tx. Martin Parmer died in 1850. He was Married 4 times and had at least 16 children. The County Seat is Farwell.

Taked from the Parmer Co., Tx site at Genforum.com

I also found a site that listed many other sources of the street names around Austin. However, could not find Braker. Parmer started out as a 2 lane blacktop surrounded by fields and livestock, with no shoulder. It's original start was most likely an ox and wagon trail.

Anderson Mill=Named after a mill and its owner, Thomas Anderson, who lived in the vicinity in th 1850's
Barton Springs=Named after William Barton, first "owner" of Barton Springs.

There were many others listed as well.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
I want to know the history of Convict Hill and Slaughter Lane!!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 AM

I found a site where it says Convict Hill was where convicts quarried limestone in Oak Hill. Hence the name Convict Hill. I'll have to go look up Slaughter Lane. So far the two have nothing in common

Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 AM

can't find anything on Slaughter yet.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I am pretty sure that Slaughter lane is just named after a landowner from the area. There were some pretty big cattle owners with that name, I think, but I am not sure they were in Austin.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 45,078 times
Default How Slaughter Lane was named

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I want to know the history of Convict Hill and Slaughter Lane!!
In the winter of 1863, during the Civil War, an unusually strong Arctic front moved through Texas, followed by a bona-fide blizzard. Ranchers herded several tens of thousands head of cattle along a stream just south of Austin, but many of the cattle either froze or were severely injured by frostbite in the subfreezing temperatures and snow.

After the blizzard subsided, many of these cattle had to be shot and as a result, the stream ran red with the blood of the dead cattle. The stream was named Slaughter Creek in memory of the cattle who were killed there following the blizzard.

Blizzards are extremely rare, but not unheard of in Austin. Significant blizzards have occurred in 1899 (February 12), 1949 (January 30), and 1985.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
In the winter of 1863, during the Civil War, an unusually strong Arctic front moved through Texas, followed by a bona-fide blizzard. Ranchers herded several tens of thousands head of cattle along a stream just south of Austin, but many of the cattle either froze or were severely injured by frostbite in the subfreezing temperatures and snow.

After the blizzard subsided, many of these cattle had to be shot and as a result, the stream ran red with the blood of the dead cattle. The stream was named Slaughter Creek in memory of the cattle who were killed there following the blizzard.
Interesting story, but Slaughter is a common Texas surname (came from the german name Slauter.. "Slater" derives from that too.)

The City of Austin says that the creek and street are named after a person --

Slaughter Lane
Named from nearby Slaughter Creek, which was named for Stephen F. Slaughter, who received the original grant of land in the area on March 12, 1835, and was one of the first settlers in the current Travis County area (originally part of Bastrop County).

City of Austin - Austin Treasures: Austin Streets

Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 14,406 times
Default William Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
William Cannon was an 1836 Battle of San Jacinto hero who owned property in that area. Parmer was most likely Martin Parmer, born in Virginia and lived on the Missouri frontier before it became a state in 1826-1827. He was a leader of the Fredonian Rebellion in the Nacogdoches/San Augustine area. Almost 10 years before the Texas Revolution there was an attempt to declare Texas Independance from Mexico. In 1835, Parmer was elected as a delegate from Teneha to the consultation of 1835 at San Felipe de Austin.
In March 1846, Martin Parmer was elected as the delegate from the San Augustine municipality to the General Convention at Washington on the Brazos. Martin Parmer signed the Declaration of Independance from Mexico. He was chairman of the committee that drafted the Constitution of the Republic of Texas. In 1839, He was appointed Chief Justice of Jasper Co., Tx. Martin Parmer died in 1850. He was Married 4 times and had at least 16 children. The County Seat is Farwell.

Taked from the Parmer Co., Tx site at Genforum.com

I also found a site that listed many other sources of the street names around Austin. However, could not find Braker. Parmer started out as a 2 lane blacktop surrounded by fields and livestock, with no shoulder. It's original start was most likely an ox and wagon trail.

Anderson Mill=Named after a mill and its owner, Thomas Anderson, who lived in the vicinity in th 1850's
Barton Springs=Named after William Barton, first "owner" of Barton Springs.

There were many others listed as well.
William Cannon is relation to Dixon in the battle of San Jacinto They are both my Great Great Grandfather`s. They Had property in Crockett Texas and surrounding area as my family still has to this day, They gave land to the town for church and cematery I understand William was involved with Louisiana Texas Fruit Company which is how the Town they founded Latexo Tx got its name. Latexo, Tx. His wife was the first post master general in that area. I will post more on this story later.

Last edited by Nick Iacoviello; 04-13-2012 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin