Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:22 AM

554 posts, read 1,057,242 times

Advertisements

Why do so many parents need to drive kids to and from public school today?

Is there a problem with the bus? Maybe there isn't bus service anymore?

I thought I wasn't that old, but I guess I am. I grew up in the 90s in a suburban town and never had my parents driving me around to/from school. At school, there was only a handful of parents doing it, not a line of cars a quarter mile long parked idling every afternoon near the schools.

What happened over the last 15 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,279,407 times
They only bus if you're more than two miles away, and a lot of parents aren't comfortable with their kids walking that far. Probably reasonable if you've got a kindergartner, less so if you've got an 8th grader.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:57 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,724,175 times
There are a lot more stay at home mom's in Lake Travis than where I grew up, so I just figured it was that. My kids' school doesn't just have a car pick up line, but they have a "parent pick up" which means the parents park and go inside to the gym to pick up there kids, and then a card has to be scanned to make sure the kid is leaving with the correct adult. But they don't scan anything for the cars, and you would think they would want to as anyone with a name in the front window can pick up any kid.

I have mine doing extended care so I can pick up after hours, and then ride the bus everyday to school but only once a week home as a treat. That means I have to be done working to meet the bus because everyone under 3rd grade has to have a parent at the bus stop or they can't get off the bus.

So many new rules since the 80's & 90's.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,770,854 times
What happened? Parents have gone full retard... Some of these helicopters are waiting in the line an hour before school gets out. Usually just because they don't want their kid to go through the horror of riding alone on the bus... It's pathetic...

Old 07-03-2015, 02:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,058,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Why do so many parents need to drive kids to and from public school today?

Is there a problem with the bus? Maybe there isn't bus service anymore?

I thought I wasn't that old, but I guess I am. I grew up in the 90s in a suburban town and never had my parents driving me around to/from school. At school, there was only a handful of parents doing it, not a line of cars a quarter mile long parked idling every afternoon near the schools.

What happened over the last 15 years?
We dont get bus service because we live too close. My 7 year old can ride the mile but we drive her instead. Next year she might start riding on her own. Many of the families live across major streets like spicewood springs so they probably drive their kids.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,058,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
What happened? Parents have gone full retard... Some of these helicopters are waiting in the line an hour before school gets out. Usually just because they don't want their kid to go through the horror of riding alone on the bus... It's pathetic...
I get there early because if I get there early then I can pick up my kid right away. If I get there later, the line only moves when someone before me picks up their kid.

We have activities after school so need the predictability. As I mentioned in my other post, there is no bus for us and for many of the students.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,973,570 times
Yeah unfortunately so few parents allow their kids to bike to school anymore..

Old 07-03-2015, 03:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,957,108 times
I've noticed less elementary schools built in the center of neighborhoods and more built along busy streets.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:15 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,249,440 times
I've noticed it too, and I think it is just a reflection of the crazy times that have evolved over the last fifteen or so years. There are some weirdos out there, and no one wants to take a chance with their kid.

The state reimburses ISDs for kids that live more than two miles. Part of the issue is that our sedentary lifestyles have made that too far for Susie to walk or even ride a bike. Another part is that we are building bigger and bigger schools because they are cheaper to operate. The twelve classroom school right in the middle of every neighborhood is a thing of the past.

It is a combination of all these things that leads to the car line ups.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:28 PM

174 posts, read 310,418 times
It seems that its quite common nowadays. I took the bus until 3rd grade when they started charging (i grew up in the late 80's/early 90's) and once they started charging for us to take the bus it was either walk or ride your bicycle for us. Starting around age 7 was when my parents let us bicycle by ourselves - 3 miles in the summer to our swimming lessons at the local YMCA on a major road (in CA but I would say the road is similar to lamar traffic wise). We were fine. If I end up having kids they will be handling their own transportation after the age of seven. People are seriously helicopter parents these days. My parents didn't love me any less... they used to walk to school too (in Iowa... you know, 3 feet of snow, uphill both ways ) so I feel pretty lucky that the weather wasn't too terrible. The only time I minded it was when it rained, my jeans took hours to dry in class. Kids seem coddled too much - my parents always said that accidents only happened to children that weren't taught to pay attention by their parents... darwinism... harsh but true and I'm inclined to agree.

The only time I would argue against that would be if you lived in a crime filled area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin