U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
I guess everyone forgot about this school Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA) High School which is highest ranked public school in central Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM

284 posts, read 618,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarazew123 View Post
I guess everyone forgot about this school Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA) High School which is highest ranked public school in central Texas.
One of the poster's requirements seems to be a good baseball team, so LASA is probably not a good choice. Take a look at westlake, lake Travis and Westwood.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM

4,013 posts, read 6,100,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarazew123 View Post
1) this post is 4 years old
2) the post right before yours mentions lasa

Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM

301 posts, read 283,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Oh, yeah, I was just listing public...if you move into the district, you get to go. St. Michaels and St. Stevens seem to be highly thought of, but you have to be admitted. I am sure there are others.

To be a little less flippant, Westlake (Eanes), Dripping Springs, and Lake Travis are all good academically in SW Austin area, but currently Westlake is way ahead in the athletics department. In AISD, the ones you hear for academics are Bowie (SW Austin), Anderson (Central-West Austin), and sometimes Austin High (Central Austin). None have high powered sports programs, but they do have all the programs.
Hahaha... I love the part in bolded. I'm pretty sure Lake Travis is superior to Westlake in most everything now including academics. I don't care if Eanes wasted money on iPads. The iPads just make it even more evident of how Eanes is desperately trying to keep the lead in academics even though Lake Travis is right there with them now.

This thread is so five years ago...

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,301,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Hahaha... I love the part in bolded. I'm pretty sure Lake Travis is superior to Westlake in most everything now including academics. I don't care if Eanes wasted money on iPads. The iPads just make it even more evident of how Eanes is desperately trying to keep the lead in academics even though Lake Travis is right there with them now.

It is quite current to me... I'd love to hear more about LTISD academics as of late. We all know about athletics but tell me more about the other side.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM

4,924 posts, read 9,569,874 times
Quote:
Hahaha... I love the part in bolded (Athletics). I'm pretty sure Lake Travis is superior to Westlake in most everything now including academics. I don't care if Eanes wasted money on iPads. The iPads just make it even more evident of how Eanes is desperately trying to keep the lead in academics even though Lake Travis is right there with them now.

Hmmm, post your stats to support your assertions of superiority. In football? Let's see what happens now that you have to play in 5A.

I do think, in general, Westlake and LTHS are on the same level in most areas, academically and in athletics. Each may have an area or department that is better or more specialized, or better funded. But calling LTHS "superior" to WHS is more than a stretch. "Better" is even disputable.

Westlake has it's iPads, LTHS has it's nursury for teen mothers. I'm hoping Westlake doesn't play catch-up in that department.

Steve

Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,301,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Hmmm, post your stats to support your assertions of superiority. In football? Let's see what happens now that you have to play in 5A.

I do think, in general, Westlake and LTHS are on the same level in most areas, academically and in athletics. Each may have an area or department that is better or more specialized, or better funded. But calling LTHS "superior" to WHS is more than a stretch. "Better" is even disputable.

Westlake has it's iPads, LTHS has it's nursury for teen mothers. I'm hoping Westlake doesn't play catch-up in that department.

Steve
Wow! LTHS has a nursery for teen moms? That is so interesting! We need to continue to support education especially in these circumstances. I think that is great (although hoping if I ever have a girl we will not be using this benefit!)

On another note, I wonder if there is public data showing what % of the graduating class went on to college and which colleges they chose.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
It is quite current to me... I'd love to hear more about LTISD academics as of late. We all know about athletics but tell me more about the other side.
I'd love to tell you about the great academics at LTHS! Here we go...

Click on this link, select how you wish to search (by school name), and type in Westlake. Then, type in Lake Travis. Here you will find the full results of both schools' TAKS perfomances, graduation rates, etc.

2010-11 School Report Card

As you can see, Westlake and LT are both Exemplary rated high schools in Exemplary rated school districts. Westlake may have some percentages that are slightly higher, but not by much. This is mostly due to the slightly larger Hispanic population at LT. With that said, these two schools are very similar to each other regarding academics. It is no longer the case where Westlake is THE best and all others are far behind. That is the point I was trying to make.

Now, if you're interested in how many National Merit Semifinalists were announced at each school for this year, here are the results:

This is an article from the Westlake Picayune:

Westlake High School National Merit Scholarship Program semifinalists named : Westlake Picayune

This is a news release from the LTISD website:

http://ltisdschools.org/cms/lib/TX21...%20Version.pdf

Westlake had 15 semifinalists and LT had 28. I know that this does not fully reflect the type of schools that Westlake and LT are. However, it definitely shows the type of students that attend the schools. This is the first year that LT has a higher number of semifinalists than Westlake. It just goes to show that LT has been catching up with Eanes and is now at the same level, IMO.

Last edited by LakeTravisAlum; 02-10-2012 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
View my response to FueledByBluebell for the statistics regarding academics.

Now now... we all know that LT will be just fine in 5A - in all sports.

I'm sorry. "Superior" was a poor word choice. I should've said that Westlake is no longer far ahead of LT (and other schools) in academics and athletics. LT can and has been competing with Westlake in many sports for awhile now (starting next year we will be competing in all sports.) For example, LT beat Westlake in football 35-7. Also, LT boy's golf beat Westlake golf twice this year. I'm sure that Westlake has beaten LT a few times this year also in other sports.

I will agree with you on the fact that both schools have programs that are similar to each other with a few that are better than the other, but to say that Westlake is still so much better is simply not the case at all.

Also, every school has teen mothers/pregnant students - even Westlake! LT just happens to have a program to help give support to these young women during their times of need and to encourage them to stay in school and get an education! I would say that is a positive!!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:07 AM

4,013 posts, read 6,100,799 times
Quote:
View my response to FueledByBluebell for the statistics regarding academics.

Now now... we all know that LT will be just fine in 5A - in all sports.

I'm sorry. "Superior" was a poor word choice. I should've said that Westlake is no longer far ahead of LT (and other schools) in academics and athletics. LT can and has been competing with Westlake in many sports for awhile now (starting next year we will be competing in all sports.) For example, LT beat Westlake in football 35-7. Also, LT boy's golf beat Westlake golf twice this year. I'm sure that Westlake has beaten LT a few times this year also in other sports.

I will agree with you on the fact that both schools have programs that are similar to each other with a few that are better than the other, but to say that Westlake is still so much better is simply not the case at all.

Also, every school has teen mothers/pregnant students - even Westlake! LT just happens to have a program to help give support to these young women during their times of need and to encourage them to stay in school and get an education! I would say that is a positive!!
Average SAT scores by school district and high school

LASA is the best (public) high schol in austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin